PDA

View Full Version : 2003 f350 6.0 potential purchase fears

Pluto
April 2nd, 2014, 01:08 PM
my 96 f150 has finaly been retired from the road. it will only ever see mud from now on. i was looking around for a 7.3, and stumbled across a 6.0. it has 150000 on the truck. the engine and trans were replaced under warranty from the dealership 80000 ago. i dont have an issue with the numbers not matching up, what im concerned about is the problems associated with the 6.0. ive heard about head studs, head gaskets, egr cooler issues, and worst of all, antifreeze getting dumped into the cylinders. should i even bother buying this truck? and if i do, should i do an egr delete? should i be doing anything else to prevent head gasket failures or head studs breakage? im realy torn here. thanks guys

ASwaff400
April 2nd, 2014, 05:57 PM
the oil cooler is 85% of the time thereason why egr cooler ruptures and/or blows a head gasket... the oil cooler clogs up on the coolant side with sand left in the block from casting. and the ford gold coolant contains silicates which are known to break down from the high heat in the EGR cooler. these silicates gel up and clog the oil cooler even more... when the oil cooler is clogged, coolent flow to the egr cooler doesnt receive enough coolant and causes high EGT's, this causes the coolant to flash boil and burp out the degas bottle. also the oil temps run WAY too high and you will fry the HPOP(high pressure oil pump), the injectors, and turbo... its pretty much all down hill from there, the motor is slowly having a melt down...

this is what needs to be done to be a reliable engine...

full coolant flush, and not a quick 45 minute ford method which says to replace the oil cooler before the flush... the way to do it 100% right takes about 10 hours to do then replace the oil cooler AFTER the flush, along with instal a coolant filter... i have a 40 page PDF file showing how to do this... then refill the cooling system with CAT EC-1 rated coolant.

for the EGR cooler, you have 3 options: bullet proof egr cooler, egr delete, weld the egr cooler shut...

blue spring update. this raises the fuel pressure which helps the injectors live a healthier life.

bypass oil filter, helps the entire motor and most importantly injectors and HPOP, live a healthier life.

head gaskets and head studs are not a must have unless you plan on putting a tuner to it, tow very heavy loads often or drive like you stole it. but eventually, it may need them...

i have 144,000 miles on my 6.0 on original headbolts/gaskets, my truck runs flawless and i am very happy with her... i do have a pile of parts waiting to go in...

the list is endless on what you can do to make the truck 100% reliable and still be quick... just depends on how much you want to spend:money: