PDA

View Full Version : Buying an F-350 Super Duty

TwoSpeed
September 20th, 2014, 09:52 AM
So I am looking at buying an 04 F-350 Super Duty with the diesel in it. I am wondering if there are any big issues that I should be looking for and should watch out for before I make the final purchase. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

MR_Pete
September 21st, 2014, 07:14 PM
What engine is in it?

TwoSpeed
September 21st, 2014, 07:35 PM
The engine is the 6.0l Diesel.

MR_Pete
September 21st, 2014, 07:41 PM
The 6.0 is prone to turbo issues, I blew 2 out and EGR cooler can be problematic though I think that can be deleted.

TwoSpeed
September 21st, 2014, 09:39 PM
What do they say about the turbo? Is it a lack of oil or what? And can any diesel shop remove the EGR stuff? Is it simple enough to remove myself?

TwoSpeed
September 21st, 2014, 10:31 PM
Also what kind of mileage were you getting? City? Hwy?

MR_Pete
September 22nd, 2014, 11:48 AM
What do they say about the turbo? Is it a lack of oil or what? And can any diesel shop remove the EGR stuff? Is it simple enough to remove myself?

This has been a couple years since I drove the F250 with the 6.0. From what I remember concerning the turbo was the truck kept having issues with the seated rings not allowing proper pressure and under loads it would knock the whole turbo system putting me in limp mode. The EGR cooler can be removed as I know a guy who did it on his old 6.0. I can't say how hard or easy a job it was, but I have spotted online info concerning this that may give a step by step.
Concerning fuel mileage it was horrible to the 6.7 I now drive. City mileage was around 9 and highway was only 10 - 11.

ASwaff400
September 22nd, 2014, 05:38 PM
havent had any problems with my 6.0... the oil cooler is usually the main cause of an EGR cooler failure... i had my oil cooler replaced along with did an EGR delete, and full coolant flush and refilled with CAT EC-1 coolant... i just rolled over 150K miles on my 6.0. drove it out to texas and back towing 6500 lbs, didnt loose any coolant or oil, averaged 14.1 mpg towing, i get anywhere from 16-21 mpg on the interstate empty and 11-14 mpg city.

i have been logging all of my fuel-ups for the last year and a half with fuelly(link in my signature). my driving is almost all city stop and go traffic which kills my MPG average and/or towing a boat... about once a month i can get out on the highway...

MR_Pete
September 22nd, 2014, 05:49 PM
havent had any problems with my 6.0... the oil cooler is usually the main cause of an EGR cooler failure... i had my oil cooler replaced along with did an EGR delete, and full coolant flush and refilled with CAT EC-1 coolant... i just rolled over 150K miles on my 6.0. drove it out to texas and back towing 6500 lbs, didnt loose any coolant or oil, averaged 14.1 mpg towing, i get anywhere from 16-21 mpg on the interstate empty and 11-14 mpg city.

i have been logging all of my fuel-ups for the last year and a half with fuelly(link in my signature). my driving is almost all city stop and go traffic which kills my MPG average and/or towing a boat... about once a month i can get out on the highway...

Sounds like you're having much better success with the 6.0 than I had Aaron. I do know several guys who drive the 6.0 with little to no problems just like I know a few myself included who did have issues.

glc
September 22nd, 2014, 08:48 PM
I personally wouldn't touch a 6.0 or 6.4 with a 10 foot pole - look for an 03 or earlier with a 7.3 or a 11+ with a 6.7 if you want a diesel Super Duty.

The other option is a gas V-10. Gas hog, but very reliable and has tons of power.

TwoSpeed
September 25th, 2014, 04:06 AM
Wow, fuel mileage is way down then. Mmmmmm. So how hard is it to get started if its cold and I am unable to plug it in? I will be parking the truck on a Naval Base with no way of plugging it in. Is there any tuners like BullyDog to possibly help bring up the fuel milage?

TwoSpeed
September 25th, 2014, 04:09 AM
thank you aaron. I am glad i joined this page, i have been getting alot of helpful information and tips from people on the three fords that i have owned. Thanks guys

JSoko
September 29th, 2014, 08:05 AM
a friend has the 6.0 in a F450 and it's a dog
sometimes the turbo wont even come on after waiting at a red light seems to do the same thing going down the highway at times
dealer can't find anything wrong

it's an '06 F450 auto 6.0 with only 17,000 miles on it
front tires are shot and the dealer says the front end is within specs

I had a F350 and several F250's with the 7.3, now that was an engine

TwoSpeed
October 4th, 2014, 05:46 PM
So Aaron did you do the EGR delete yourself or did you have a shop do it? I am wondering because my gas mileage is kind of on the fence so to speak. I went through about a quarter tank in like 2 and i wasn't really beating on it. I also noticed that my truck seems to take a little bit before it wants to run. Sounds like plenty of juice rotating but I am wondering if I need a fuel pump or if I should start with checking the batteries. Also can you just get in and start it or should I let it sit a few seconds and then start? I have done both ways and see no real difference.

glc
October 4th, 2014, 09:23 PM
You need to actually calculate the gas mileage - gallons used in miles driven between fillups.

ASwaff400
October 5th, 2014, 07:47 AM
So Aaron did you do the EGR delete yourself or did you have a shop do it? I am wondering because my gas mileage is kind of on the fence so to speak. I went through about a quarter tank in like 2 and i wasn't really beating on it. I also noticed that my truck seems to take a little bit before it wants to run. Sounds like plenty of juice rotating but I am wondering if I need a fuel pump or if I should start with checking the batteries. Also can you just get in and start it or should I let it sit a few seconds and then start? I have done both ways and see no real difference.

i had a shop do it at the same time i had the oil cooler replaced. my fuel mileage did go up slightly with the egr delete and cat/muffler delete maybe. my truck would take a while to start before i replaced the batteries, found one battery was low on power... when you go to start, i usually wait until the chime stops when you first turn the key on... gives time for the fuel pump and injectors to cycle... after she is started i let her warm up for a minute or 2 and is night and day difference when you get in and drive VS starting and immediately driving off... as far as the turbo being sluggish, the earlier 6.0's(03's-early 04's) had a different FICM strategy which had quick and snappy throttle response, and late 04's-up had a different tune for emissions. this tune made trucks sluggish, and get worse mileage than the 03's...

im guessing you bought a 6.0?

TwoSpeed
October 6th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Yes I did buy a 6.0. I am hoping that I can figure something out with it. Looking at doing the EGR delet and having the oil cooler upgraded.

ASwaff400
October 6th, 2014, 07:48 PM
you got a PM with my number.

TwoSpeed
October 15th, 2014, 06:06 AM
Ok so I have a couple things going on and I am trying to figure it out before I just say forget it and take it to Ford for them to troubleshoot.
First is possible batteries. It doesn't seem to go quite as quick as I feel it should, I could be wrong but Just doesn't seem like it's fast enough. I have 12.5 volts on both batteries individually. When starting it drops to like 10.5-11.5 volts and charging the most I get is 13.5-13.7 volts. I used to be a diesel tech before joining the military so I am not completely dumb but these numbers seem like they should be a little higher.
Second is no power/limp mode. Saturday I was going to go somewhere and the truck lost power in drive; could rev up in park, reverse, and neutral but not drive. Monday did the same thing but I lost it in all gears, no revving at all until after I let it sit for a minute. I was thinking maybe batteries not sending enough juice to the computer but then I heard of a sensor in the trans that when it goes it puts the truck in limp mode. Has anyone else have this problem?
Third, my fuel gauge dropped to empty yesterday and then came back up to full. I know it's full because I just filled it on Monday morning. Did it a couple of times within about 20 minutes but then came back. I am thinking maybe the level sending unit in the tank. Also while it was doing that I got the water in fuel light. Now that could be legit since I do have to do the maintenance to it (oil change and filters).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

JSoko
October 15th, 2014, 07:45 AM
yes, way low on the voltage, even while charging
check the alternator output

the loss of power could be what I said in post #13 above

TwoSpeed
October 15th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Ok so check the alternator. So the turbo not kicking in would do that and only in certain gears? Now that I think about it, I do think I hear the turbo spinning down even after the truck has been turned off. Is that normal?

glc
October 15th, 2014, 09:40 PM
Yes, you should hear it spin down when you shut it off.

I hate to sound nasty, but - I told you so.........

Regardless of what other people here think, I think the 6.0 is a pile of crap.

TwoSpeed
October 18th, 2014, 01:27 PM
So since I pulled the battery cables off to check them I haven't had any power issues. I really don't know where to go with that issue. On another note; has anyone on here ever used Bullet Proof Diesel parts? Are they as good as I have heard them to be? Also is there any good tuners out there. Actually Aaron the one you recommended can I adjust the tire size with that? I have 35's sitting under my truck and I doubt that's what came on it. Just want to make sure that I read the correct MPG.