PDA

View Full Version : Off the Lot Problems

Dgf250
February 7th, 2015, 12:02 PM
I was super excited about my recent purchase of a 2000 F250 7.3. The truck has had some work on done with chips. 60 away from dealer ship I hear a weird vibration coming from the back of the truck that sounded like fender flair vibrating at 70mph. Lower speed to 65 after about 5 miles vibration got really bad and bang something happened in the rear of the truck and had a bad grinding sound. Pulled to side of highway and it will still go in all gears but the grinding is so bad I don't want to move. Also when I got out of the truck a lot of smoke was coming from under the rear of the truck and there is a cylinder right in front of the left rear tire that was dripping fluid and smoking. I know vague details. Just so disappointing right now on my purchase. Anybody have suggestions? Truck has 156,000 mile on it.

Dgf250
February 7th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Also what kind on cylinder is visible right before the driver side rear tire?

glc
February 7th, 2015, 07:03 PM
We need pictures. Sounds like your differential or rear axles self-destructed.

Dgf250
February 8th, 2015, 09:08 PM
took another look at the truck and the noise was in the front end. I believe the dealer left the hubs locked.....eeeeeeeeeeek! What am I look at for a repair of this? When I unlocked the hubs she ran like a champ!! But what about my 4wd????

Russo2
February 8th, 2015, 11:34 PM
Screw any repair work, take it back to them. Especially a dealership, failure like that right off the lot is ridiculous.
Besides all of that, leaving the hubs locked in for any speed should not ever for any reason make the hub blow apart.

glc
February 9th, 2015, 01:24 AM
leaving the hubs locked in for any speed should not ever for any reason make the hub blow apart.

It will if you are driving in 4wd with the hubs locked on dry pavement. That can break something.

Did you check to make sure the front driveshaft is still there?

JSoko
February 9th, 2015, 10:05 AM
[QUOTE=Russo2;88767]Screw any repair work, take it back to them./QUOTE]

I'm thinking this should have been done ; a no brainer

if not there's more to the story than what we know

RichardinVirginia
February 26th, 2015, 09:18 PM
Soo... what happened next???