PDA

View Full Version : 351W Swap

IrishKRO
May 24th, 2015, 12:56 PM
Alright, it's been a while people. I'm starting my 351W swap. I currently have an EFI 5.0 in my 91 F150. I switching to carb. So here's what i'm doing:
Block: .060 Over, hyper pistons, 9.2-9.3 CR
Heads: Stock, replacing valves and valve springs 1.250 bind height and
230lb/in pressure rate and home port and polish
Camshaft: Going Lunati Cam specs are as follows Duration @ .050 219/227
Lift .499 .522 with a 112 LSA
Carb: Holley 4150 600cfm with vac secondaries
Intake: Edelbrock performer with lokar kickdown cable
Exhaust: Running Shorty headers with Bassani Y-Pipe. I don't feel like messing with LT and 4wd, I also already have the headers and ypipe so it saves money and the marginal gain of LT isn't worth the headache.

For the fuel system i'm keeping my stock pump in the tank but getting a regulator with return so I can dial it down to 6PSI. I haven't decided on an air cleaner yet, I'm not sure what kind of clearance i'll have to work with. I'm going to go with Procomp for my electronics. Any advice on jetting for the carb would be appreciated, the carb currently has 69 primaries and 6.5hg power valve. I'll upload pictures as I go. I'm hoping to have all this done by the time monsoon season hits in Tucson.

IrishKRO
May 28th, 2015, 09:44 PM
Update, found a set of 289 heads for $350 on craiglist. They have 1.94 intake valves and 1.60 exhaust valves. They have also been reground for chevy springs and come with all new hardware. They have also been decked and ported and polished. They have closed chambers and CC out to 58cc combustion chambers. No the most ideal head, but they cost less than what I was gonna do to my stock heads and will perform better.

IrishKRO
June 2nd, 2015, 06:44 PM
Update as well as a request for help. Decided to drop the Lunati cam and go Comp cams 35-235-3 Cam. Int .477 Exhaust .493 Duration at .050 210 and 218 respectively. The issue i'm running into is valve lift. I'm looking at valve springs and it would seem that none have an adequately low coil bind. Here's my math and hopefully it's wrong. 0.493x1.6(rocker ratio)= .787. Add .060 for a safety margin and that brings my needs to .847. If my springs installed height is 1.7" I need it's coild bind to be around .860. Can anyone help me? I've emailed compcams to see if they can provide guidance but i'm at a loss.

IrishKRO
June 3rd, 2015, 08:24 PM
So, when looking at the cam specs I totally missed the section that said lobe lift. Their valve lift figure is calculated using a 1.6 rocker ration. Now all I have to do is figure out my current springs coil bind and the seat diameter that these heads will accommodate.

IrishKRO
June 9th, 2015, 09:56 PM
So the seats will accommodate up to 1 3/8" diameter. Current valve springs have a 1.250" OD, and it seems that most springs above this have an installed height of 1.8 and usually a coil bind commensurate with the increased height. I found some springs that have a seat pressure of 110lbs at 1.7 with an OD of 1.250 and a rate of 280 lbs/in which my existing hardware will accommodate.These should also help the engine idle well. I also looked a bit more into calculating compression ratios. I stumbled upon compression height and found out that to achieve a lower CR, that pistons i'm using have a .020" lowered compression height. This increases my piston to deck clearance and drops my dynamic CR to 7.47 and static to 9.5, which should handle pump gas just fine.

IrishKRO
June 9th, 2015, 10:04 PM
Looking at a few similar builds, this engine is going to be torquey as hell starting around 2k rpm. Found a guy with a similar build and his engine put out over 400ftlbs from 2000-3500.
I'll have .25 more compression as well as better flowing heads and more cam. Will a stock aod handle this power? Or am I just gonna have to wait till it shreds it and tell my wife I need to build a beefier tranny?

gwfan
June 26th, 2015, 04:58 AM
What brand is your exhaust system?

IrishKRO
June 26th, 2015, 06:31 PM
I have flowtek shorty headers (I think) with a Bassani Y-Pipe into a dynomax super turbo muffler. The CAT is 3" and the muffler is 3" in with dual 2.5" out, I bent my own tubing and cut it resulting in the exhaust coming out just in front of the rear passenger tire. It's SUPER throaty, idles insanely queit but as soon as I accelerate it can set off some of the more sensitive car alarms. Overall it's too loud for my liking, but when I run the rpm's up at idle it sounds MEAN. Under load just loud and throaty. These (http://www.jegs.com/i/Flowtech/387/91627/10002/-1?parentProductId=) are pretty much what I have but about twice as expensive as when I bought them.

IrishKRO
July 9th, 2015, 09:17 PM
So I got a great deal on 30lb injectors with a calibrated MAF. I'm ditching the carb and just doing a MAF swap. It'll cost about the same all said and done and emissions won't be an issue. If anyone has a computer or donor wiring harness please hit me up if your selling.

IrishKRO
September 4th, 2015, 06:00 PM
Update! So I found a guy on a forum that I was able to purchase an A9P as well as a complete engine harness(Injector harness and MAF included). Right now all i'm waiting on is income to permit me to buy the rebuild kit for my engine as well as the new parts i'm putting on it.

harrison28
September 4th, 2015, 07:08 PM
Sounds like good progress. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Post some pics of your build process if you get a chance.

JSoko
September 6th, 2015, 07:20 AM
thanks for the up-date

IrishKRO
January 14th, 2016, 09:19 PM
Another update! So I downloaded a 10day free trial of Engine Analyzer Pro v. 3.9. I plugged all my specs in. Thankfully I've been researching for like 2 years so most of it I have memorized. I plugged in about 20 different cam setups and ran them all through the simulator. I had a custom grind quote that was:
GRIND FW266/272H113+5
DUR @ 211/217
LIFT .471/.485
LSA 113
INT C/L 108
PRICE 205.00 + FRT
The other cam I was considering was comp cams 35-239-3. The custom grind had about 15 more ft/lbs over the CC on euntil about 4500 RPM then the higher duration and lift of the CC grind won out.
For shits and giggles(language?) I threw in the specs for Crower's Baja Beast grind. To my surprise, it blew away every other cam I had sim'd.
The simulator had me at 300ft/lbs starting at 1k RPM, peaked at 362ft/lbs at 3500 and fell off hard at 4800 RPM. Considering that it's a daily driver, this torque curve is phenomenal.

IrishKRO
January 14th, 2016, 09:22 PM
As far as progress is concerned, my parents are paying my wife and I(mostly myself) to tile their house so I should have all the funds to purchase what I still need by mid february. I'll be sure to post pics of the engine. Also, another thing that I am doing is using a 5.0 plenum on the 5.8. The port shape and size for the 5.0 is WAY better than the 5.8. I'll be sure to post picks of the port job I do.

JSoko
January 15th, 2016, 11:07 AM
I think it may just be for a carb manifold
but the 5.0 won't fit a 5.8 cause the 5.8 has a higher deck height

IrishKRO
January 16th, 2016, 01:48 AM
Correct you are good sir! But we aren't talking about the intake manifold, we're talking about the plenum.

JSoko
January 16th, 2016, 09:28 AM
yep, I kinda figured that
when engines when to electronic ignition and injection; I did not stay current
as all we had were carbs points & condensor
now days on the new engines if I have a problem somebody with the know how takes care of me; I'm limited to the things that bolt on, brakes, suspension axles and such

IrishKRO
February 16th, 2016, 12:09 AM
Alright guys, first batch of parts is in. I got pretty much everything to complete the short block; Pistons, rings, main bearings, rod bearings, main studs, oil pump, arp con rod bolts, arp engine fastener kit plus some exhaust tubing to change my exhaust so it comes out over the rear axle.

JSoko
February 16th, 2016, 09:01 AM
great
post some photos

harrison28
October 24th, 2017, 01:21 PM
Wonder how this all turned out?