PDA

View Full Version : Information Center display not working

SS FatMan
September 1st, 2009, 10:17 PM
So, as most of you know, I recently replaced all my dash lights. In doing so, I unplugged the two wire harnesses that go into my dash. After I put everything back together, my Information Center (odometer, temp, etc) isn't showing anything. The back light is working, but no digits are showing up. I tried disconnecting the battery and letting everything reset, still nothing. Any ideas?

Also, the sensor that tells wether the drivers door is open/shut started acting up, I can push the door just a little while it's open and it will kick the sensor off and then turn back on. That can be fixed with a little WD-40 on the hinge right? I remember hearing alot about that on the other site.

RedHot150
September 2nd, 2009, 12:42 PM
that's really strange....when i did mine the only thing that threw me off was all the needles jumping the first time i turned the key after reconnecting....but had no issues with the message center not working.

maybe disconnect the 2 harnesses from the gauges and reconnect....see if that might do something...

yes....the sensor is most likely sticking just enough to cause that problem...WD40 should take care of it

screwon23s
September 2nd, 2009, 02:11 PM
also try to diconnect and connect the battery. when you do that it will reset your computer and recalibrate everything. that might work.

BigT67
September 2nd, 2009, 02:24 PM
do the newer trucks have the issue with the solder joints coming apart for the odometer?

SS FatMan
September 2nd, 2009, 07:59 PM
Tried disconnecting and connecting the harnesses in every combination I could with the battery connected/disconnected/key on/key off/truck running/truck off etc etc etc. Still nothing. Haven't heard of any issues on these trucks with odometers. I did a little searching but haven't been able to spend much time on it...been too busy lately.

BigT67
September 2nd, 2009, 11:21 PM
Have you checked the fuse?

BigT67
September 2nd, 2009, 11:31 PM
If there is no fuse for the info display, then I would look at taking the panel out and look for broken solder joints or component leads.

2004FX4F150
September 3rd, 2009, 12:40 AM
Have you tried replacing the LED's with the original bulbs? Possible lower wattage from the LEDs are screwing with the pcm?

RedHot150
September 3rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
the lower power draw of the LED's might be causing the problem....which would really suck if you had to go back to the old bulbs to make it work...

BigT67
September 3rd, 2009, 04:05 PM
i don't think mustard and ketchup are understanding the problem! it sounds to me like the background lighting (dash lights) are working, but the digital display is not. Is that what the problem is Andy?

RedHot150
September 3rd, 2009, 04:19 PM
i'm understanding the problem T.....the back light is working for the message center but the message center itself is not working. but since the message center info is provided by the same wiring harness....the system might be getting screwed up by the low power draw of the LED's...

2004FX4F150
September 3rd, 2009, 05:09 PM
Yeah, so take that T!

BigT67
September 3rd, 2009, 05:42 PM
low power draw would only make the info center display brighter until it burned out, which would take weeks.

so bite my shiny metal ass vinny! :D

RedHot150
September 3rd, 2009, 08:18 PM
i'm not saying anything about the brightness of the bulbs themselves....saying that the fact that the LED's are drawing less power than the system was designed for....that may be throwing the message center out of whack possibly. Kinda like how when you use LED's elsewhere on a vehicle it can mess with something....who knows...could just be fried...i sure hope not though

2004FX4F150
September 3rd, 2009, 08:54 PM
Yeah, Again, take that T :)

SS FatMan
September 3rd, 2009, 09:38 PM
Settle down ladies! No need for name calling! The backlight that is currently behind the display screen is the original bulb. It is NOT an LED. The dash took 11 lights, I only ordered 10, thinking it would only need 5 or 6. It worked out, 'cause I ended up just leaving the info center display with a normal bulb since the LED won't change the light color of the display. Onto the issue, I can try to swap out all the LED's back to regular lights, but that's going to have to wait till Sunday. Too busy at work this week, this is our big time-to-shine weekend. I'll let you guys know when I get to it. And thanks for the help, of the 4 forums I posted this on, I only got one response of 'Try unhooking and rehooking the wires' on 1 of the forums...This forum actually gave me a few suggestions!

RedHot150
September 3rd, 2009, 09:42 PM
we shine when it's called for! :D

hope this issue isn't too much of a pain in the ass for ya...

not to jump subject...but did you ever get your tires? and did you get them mounted on the wheels and now on the truck?

SS FatMan
September 3rd, 2009, 10:19 PM
I'm a Pro at tearing apart my dash now :D Shouldn't take too long to swap out lights and check the dash...just don't have free time till sunday.

I ordered the BFG KM2's yesterday. They weren't too happy with me changing what tires I was getting, but oh well, they screwed me so I just returned the favor :). With the holiday who knows how long it will take for them to get here. The guy at discount said probably next friday. Will get them on then, with pictures of course.

BigT67
September 3rd, 2009, 11:58 PM
Well, before you go swapping all those LED's, check the back of the display for cracks in the solder or broken leads on any components that may be there, or bent pins on the connector that the wiring harness plugs into.

RedHot150
September 4th, 2009, 12:09 AM
do you REALLY need to know your miles and temp anyway??? :cheer:

SS FatMan
September 4th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Uhhhhh....Temp no...miles yes. haha. I can just open my window and tell whether it's hot out or not...Miles kinda play an important factor though :D