PDA

View Full Version : New grille help

samantha_grace
February 21st, 2010, 04:04 PM
So I want a new grille but there is one thing I am confused about. The grille I have now is the factory chrome one piece. All the new grilles I have been looking it require a surround piece. How do I get that surround piece? Do I have to buy a new grille that has a surround piece and just paint match it to my truck? Thanks for any help!:konfused:

nine5flareside
February 21st, 2010, 08:09 PM
Hey Sam,
some kits come with a new surround and others you have
to cut out the grille from the surround and fasten the new
grille to the old surround.

GATOR CREW
February 21st, 2010, 08:12 PM
Hey Sam,
some kits come with a new surround and others you have
to cut out the grille from the surround and fasten the new
grille to the old surround.

^^^ What he said X2

samantha_grace
February 21st, 2010, 08:36 PM
Do you guys think I would be better off just getting a new grille with a surround? The one I have now seems like a cheap one, and I don't think it would handle getting painted very well.

RedHot150
February 21st, 2010, 11:37 PM
the easier swap would be the new grille that includes the surround. That would just take unbolting the L brackets from the underside of the hood and bolting up the new grille.

any links to what you had in mind?

Bates88
February 22nd, 2010, 06:09 PM
All depends on what grille you're looking at getting.

2004FX4F150
February 22nd, 2010, 06:13 PM
Go for a black surround, and let's get those bumpers changed out too! :grinz:

samantha_grace
February 22nd, 2010, 10:27 PM
I want a billet style grille and I want the surround paint matched. The goal is to find the grille so I can get the surround paint matched as well as the bumpers. I am try to get rid of all the chrome. For some reason though, I am having a hard time finding what I am looking for. :angry:

RedHot150
February 22nd, 2010, 10:48 PM
Sounds like you need to find an FX4 donor truck and get the bumpers off and the grille since they are painted from factory and shouldn't have any issues being painted if needed. You'll have more work needed trying to use what you have now. Maybe check the local salvage yard first...might get lucky.

samantha_grace
February 23rd, 2010, 10:01 AM
I have been looking for some stuff around here, nobody has any. On another site, a guy had his chrome bumpers done, so I think I am going to go that route. I just need to fine a shop to blast them and powder coat them, then a guy I know can paint them. Any opinions on a grille?

RedHot150
February 23rd, 2010, 10:12 AM
I would think that a stock FX4 grille would look pretty nice on your truck once all the chrome is gone. Same style as the grille you have now, but with a body color surround and black inner grille part.

You could also look into an FX2 style grille...

http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=57&pictureid=2165

but for the styling of your truck...i think a regular FX4 grille would look good

Bates88
February 23rd, 2010, 02:31 PM
http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=38&pictureid=439

Works for me! :grinz:

clockjanitor
March 26th, 2010, 05:27 PM
i was also looking to make some cosmetic changes and a new grill sounds good i'll keeping an eye on this one