PDA

View Full Version : Bed Rail Covers

2004FX4F150
March 4th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Can anyone tell me how to remove the OEM bed rail covers on my 04 FX4? They are starting to fade and turn green and I wanted to repaint them black to make them look new again.

I have a feeling they just pop off, but don't want to go bending them if there's a trick.

Thanks

Bates88
March 4th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Easier to buy new ones.
The tabs that hold the rails on can easily break off or bend.
May even bend the rails while removing, bodyshops usually have a knack for doing this but they would sooner just replace it.

2004FX4F150
March 4th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Think I could get away with masking the outsides of bed completely off and just spraying them while they are on? What sort of prep would I need? Would I need to use primer or could I get a way with a good cleaning solution and just spray with some plastic paint?

Bates88
March 4th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Just cover your truck from overspray (if painting outside) and either way would do you good.

TazDevil07
March 4th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Rhino line em! I did hear about those tabs busting off easily as well. Good luck Vin!

SS FatMan
March 4th, 2010, 08:14 PM
^--- what they said. The tabs break off easily. I think if you make sure you cover the truck (way more than you think needs to be covered) you should be ok with masking them and painting. Just take your time on the prep/covering. That's the most important part. Don't wanna have to repaint the side of the bed 'cause you got lazy with the tape.