PDA

View Full Version : 2004 F150 Failed Emissions Inspection in PA

2004FX4F150
October 13th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Well, went for annual state inspection and emissions this morning, passed inspection, but my buddy told me I have a failing axle seal which needs to be replaced and I do need rear brakes.

FAILED emissions. Here in PA, they hook you up to an OBDII reader and it reads for codes. Apparently I had a P1000 code, which is an OBDII readiness code stuck in there. I had an issue a few nights ago, never thought to check it out and clear if need be. Now I wasted a morning, gotta drive around 40-60 miles tonight and waste more gas and time. Hopefully it will clear out by tomorrow morning.

I'm fucking sick of mods. Anyone with an 04 want to buy an S&B intake?

nine5flareside
October 13th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Well if you have a stored code in there, just have it wiped out, that's ONLY if nothing is actually wrong. Most scanners can do that and if your buddy is a mechanic, he should be able to do that as well. My personal scanner can wipe codes in a few simple steps. As far as the intake... take it out, clean it up, take some pics and post it in the FTC Classifieds. I am sure that will sell in two seconds.

2004FX4F150
October 13th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Unfortunately a P1000 wont clear with a scanning tool, or even my edge. It's a comm error. Only way to clear it is to drive. That's what he said and what I've been reading.

I had low fuel the other day, and mashed the throttle, truck bogged, and I know I had to have tripped something. He said I have to fill the tank 3/4 with gas, get on 95 and drive at 55mph, for at least 40-60 miles. The PCM has a specific order of sensors it needs to read to clear it.

I got this error before with my old Hypertech, and again, it wouldn't clear with that. After driving for a few days, it went away.

Funny thing is, I took my S&B off about a month ago and went back to stock. For some unknown reason I put it back on on Monday, and I got a code. I don't want the thing on there anymore. I don't even think I want the Edge either.

DIXIE FIX
October 13th, 2010, 03:22 PM
And people say im crazy for going back to a carb'd motor. Computers SUCK

2004FX4F150
October 13th, 2010, 03:30 PM
With a little more investigating, I found out it wasn't my low fuel bog that caused it. It was returning the truck to stock and disconnecting it. I read that I could have left it on lvl 2 and just disconnected it for access to the OBDII port, no reflashing was required.

Oh well, hopefully a night of driving will clear it.

ASwaff400
October 13th, 2010, 07:24 PM
And people say im crazy for going back to a carb'd motor. Computers SUCK

:no1::iagree:

pete59edsel
October 13th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Nope, always loved the carb., at my age is what we grew up with, those I can fix, simple and basic...can you say 4 barrel?

2004FX4F150
October 13th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Fixed the P1000 code by reflashing the pcm back to the lvl 2 I was running. Then, later on while driving, I got a Lean Bank 1 & 2 code. Drove 100 miles, never came back. Hope it stays away for the retest tomorrow.

JSoko
October 14th, 2010, 09:34 AM
I dont think its the CAI or the EDGE

RedHot150
October 14th, 2010, 09:40 AM

care to expand on that thought?

nine5flareside
October 14th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Yes JSoko, share with us your thoughts and ideas...

TedC
October 14th, 2010, 10:41 AM
It probably is the edge - when turning the truck back to stock - it definetly leaves a code in there - it's well documented on Gryphon's site (even though Vin doesn't have the gryphon tunes) - Vin's got it right with the directions to clear the code when you change it back to stock.

From Gryphon's forum:
Recent threads and posts are indicating that some of your trucks are going in for state inspections.
If you do the following you'll have a better chance at passing.
1. There should be no need to put the truck back to stock level 0.
2. Simply unplug and remove programmer and cable and go to test station.

If the above aren't followed and you put your truck back to stock level 0 you'll get a p1000 code and won't pass.

If you think you need to have the truck tested with stock programming than do it a week before and drive at least 50 miles before going to the test station.
P1000 FAQ Link:

Thank you
Have a Good One!

nine5flareside
October 14th, 2010, 10:49 AM
The link is dead Ted, I removed it. I did browse around and found that to clear the P1000 code (that people seem to get when they go back to stock), you just have to drive around and it clears itself. Thanks for the info Ted.

2004FX4F150
October 14th, 2010, 11:05 AM
The CAI does and did cause the Lean Bank codes. I get them every now and then when I had the S&B installed from day one. I took it off for a month and had no problems. As soon as I put it back on, I popped a code.

The way edge explained it to me, and from what I read. The original stock tune that the edge saved and put back on, had that P1000 code stored. When I went back to stock, all I did was put that code back in. Driving will eventually remove it, but since it was there, the emissions machine detected it and failed me. Putting it back on lvl 2, wrote a new program, with no codes. After driving the lean code showed up. I drove 110 miles between last night and this morning, and all the codes had cleared on the tune from the edge.

I am going to remove my CAI for good, reflash to stock again, so that P1000 code disappears, then go back to lvl 2.

This morning, there were no codes and the truck passed. No onto the other issues I have to address before winter arrives. New rear axle seals & bearings, new rear brake pads. My buddy is doing everything for me for $300.

JSoko
October 14th, 2010, 11:30 AM

wow this sure did bring people out of the woodwork:hurray:

http://smiliesftw.com/x/avatar54063_2.gif

2004FX4F150
October 14th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Direct from PHP

http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/upgrade-your-evo/2616-state-inspection-advisory-gryphon-edge-owners.html

RedHot150
October 14th, 2010, 01:16 PM
wow this sure did bring people out of the woodwork:hurray:

http://smiliesftw.com/x/avatar54063_2.gif

very insightful! :konfused:

JSoko
October 14th, 2010, 02:01 PM
at least we got some action going
almost like old times

TedC
October 14th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Confirmed this on the new CS as well - switched back to stock for my intended dealer visit tommorow and its showing p100o - cannot be cleared with the cs.

2004FX4F150
October 14th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Edge told me this code cannot be cleared with the tuner, it's a driving code. Make sure you have at least 3/4 tank of gas, no more, get on the highway, and do at least 50 miles at minimally 55mph, the code will disappear.

Put a total of 110 miles on last night and this morning, at an average of 70mph, and the code was gone by the time I got back to my buddies shop.

nine5flareside
October 15th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Awesome, I did some R and D AND made up a nice complete article on how to clear that code if you need it.

RedHot150
October 15th, 2010, 08:53 AM
returned my edge to stock last night and checked for codes....and I'll be damned! P1000 was there! So I just reprogrammed back and went to Lvl 2, code was gone. I'm just going to disconnect the edge for the inspection on Saturday, leaving it on Lvl 2. I'll do the full return to stock and clear the P1000 code when it goes in for the trans on the 26th.

2004FX4F150
October 15th, 2010, 09:13 AM
There's a documented way to specifically remove this code from Ford, but again, driving around town for a few miles does this too.

nine5flareside
October 15th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Matt, I'll shoot you and Vin a PM with a link to the procedure to clear that code. I will eventually put it up on the FTC Resource page (currently under cunstruction). If anyone needs it now, please PM me and I will send you the temp. link.

RedHot150
October 15th, 2010, 09:14 AM
No thanks....don't need it

2004FX4F150
October 15th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I'm more concerned about my lean codes than the P1000 which isn't anything of importance.

CAI is coming off in the morning and NEVER going back on. I'm debating on whether or not I'm even gonna keep the Edge.

nine5flareside
October 15th, 2010, 03:42 PM
I would take that edge off of you in a second if I had an OBD II system in my truck.

2004FX4F150
October 15th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Then your statement is redundant to say the least. :smilez:

RedHot150
October 15th, 2010, 04:04 PM
And if he also had a 04-08 5.4L :grinz:

TedC
October 15th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Or you could send the edge in to Gryphon - that'd solve your lean codes.

I'll leave mine on stock for a while and see if my code clears. I really dont have the opprutunity at the moment to drive 50 miles at 55 or above.

Of course - the dealer might have cleared it today for me too - haven't checked it out... see the other threaqd - intermittent grinding noise for more details...

2004FX4F150
October 16th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Sending it to Gryphon won't do anything unless I pay for custom tunes to accomodate the CAI. Somethingwhich I'm not really willing to do, since the only engine mod I have is a flowmaster 40 series muffler now.. It's simpler to just remove the CAI, as I told Matt many times, I never felt any difference with it on anyway. It's simply for underhood bling.

I may however send mine in to be upgraded to a Gryphon. I've been reading that the canned tunes on a Gryphon (without custom tunes) are tenfold better than the stock Edge. I can see spending $30 for than, and not $30 per custom tune.

As for clearing that code, only way to clear a P1000 is to drive. It certainly does vary, as my mechanic told me the other day, it could clear itself in 10 miles, or he's heard of people driving over 500 miles and still have it. Something like that usually in an indication of other problems.

I filled up last night, and am running lvl 3 now, no codes (knock on wood). :smilez:

chavez
November 30th, 2011, 03:27 PM
i just bought a used 04 150 crew lariat and failed my inspection because of the evap and catalyst. I have an edge tuner and have gone about 300 miles following the drive cycle guide and still no luck at it passing. If i unplug the battery can I restart the whole process or is it better to keep trying as is? Im about ready to go back to the dealer that sold it to me.

JSoko
November 30th, 2011, 04:10 PM
unhook the EDGE (not sure if it matters or not) and the ground on the battery
and start over (I also thought about 100 miles was enough)
also is the check engine light on??
if so use the EDGE to find the code (it offers that feature in the MENU); if you cant interpert the code post it back here and I'll tell you what it is

I'm not sure what you mean by the "evap" and by "catalyst" do you mean converter ?

JSoko
December 21st, 2011, 10:19 AM
I found out today that you need to keep the battery un-hooked for over 15 minutes
that way ALL the memory is deleted

you loose the clock & radio set points immediatly
but there are other signals that linger on after the battery is disconnected, so give it over 15 minutes to clear