PDA

View Full Version : new gears

66shadow
September 29th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Hello I am new here and new to the Ford Diesel..I have a 2000 F350 with a 7.3 diesel. The truck has a 6" lift and runs 37 1250's . I am getting the gears redone and looking at either 456's or 488's. I am leaning towards 488's do to the towing of a 8.5 x 20' enclosed trailer that I will be towing across country..

I was told that at 70mph I will be turning around 1900 rpms with the 488's and that sounds really good. I am also replacing the auto locking hubs with manual lockers....the exhaust is a straight pipe..yes no cat....and looking at replacing the exhaust with a larger then stock exhaust. also what is a good air intake that I can put it..

bikertrash3531
September 29th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Welcome to the Club! You've come to the right place. I've heard thei a simple K&N drop in filter seems give it a slight boost.

JSoko
September 29th, 2012, 05:01 PM
your gear shop will be your best info source

and a 5" or bigger exhaust with a BullyDog Tuner will really make that 7.3 scream

66shadow
September 29th, 2012, 05:58 PM
the guy doing the gears along with the gear manufactor suggest that I go with 488's since it will be like going with 410's with stock tires...so I guess I take their experience and go with it....this guy is suppose to be the best in Jersey....so I will let you know how it goes...

JSoko
September 29th, 2012, 06:47 PM
good choice
but would a 4:10 type ratio be enough for your needs
only you know the weight of the loaded trailer and wind resistance; and going over the mountians

Russo2
September 30th, 2012, 12:29 AM
Get a good cold air intake, K&N is know for "dusting" the turbo aka killing it slowly with dirt.
Skip the bullydog, it's hell on the auto trans. Get some custom tunes on a TS chip and don't look back.

bikertrash3531
September 30th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Get a good cold air intake, K&N is know for "dusting" the turbo aka killing it slowly with dirt.
Skip the bullydog, it's hell on the auto trans. Get some custom tunes on a TS chip and don't look back.
I did not know that about the K&N, vut it makes sense. Disregard my post.

JSoko
September 30th, 2012, 09:32 AM
a CUSTOM Tune is the way to go as the others are just generic CANNED Tunes

an exhaust modification & a good air filter system are a must
as HP setting will depend on both
with a stock system you can only bump up an additional 70 HP
doing the exhaust & filter you can get 150+ HP

and I'm talking about a tire burner on a rolling start
I did this on my '99 F350

skatebowd
September 30th, 2012, 09:45 AM
What about adding a custom tune to a high millage vehical? as in 200,000 or above providing the engine is in good condition as far as compresion and all

JSoko
September 30th, 2012, 11:00 AM
good thought
on a Diesel which is high compression, is built with lets say Super Duty parts; rods & crank and 500,000 miles is not unheard of
but your question does have its merits, and is something to be taken into cosideration, for longevity, of not only the engine but also as Russo stated the transmission