PDA

View Full Version : Changing plugs and plug wires

Shade
November 24th, 2012, 09:06 PM
First things first. Thank yall for helping find the short in my turn signals. Evidently there were two modules, one further back that was shorting everything. $400.00 bucks later, she's up and running like a top. So once again, I come to pick your brains.

I need to change my plug wires and plugs in my 99 250 SD with the V10. What plugs do you use? I'm thinking Motorcraft should be fine but open to suggestions.

Also, another question. Every so often I'll get in and hit the key and you'll hear the starter spin, but she won't crank. I'll turn on it off and on for a few minutes, turn the key off, take it out and then put it back in and it'll fire and run smoothly. It's a sporatic issue but one that worries me. My dad thinks it's the starter having a few teeth off but I thought I'd ask yall as well.

So, summary: What plugs and plug wires do you use?

Shade
November 24th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Also, are there only 10 plugs or is it like my 08 Ram was with 2 plugs per cylinder?

BigBlue79
November 24th, 2012, 10:55 PM
The starter sounds like it's going bad completely, all it does is spin and not move forward, I've had that happen several times, specially after a long engine cranking session..

I'd use Motorcraft plugs and wires. Can't go wrong with what came in it.

Shade
November 25th, 2012, 12:10 AM
What plugs though? What part number?

JSoko
November 25th, 2012, 01:40 AM
Also, are there only 10 plugs or is it like my 08 Ram was with 2 plugs per cylinder?

1 plug per cylinder

BigBlue79
November 25th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Motorcraft Part No. SP465 Copper Core Spark Plug

You could even go with Autolite's, that's what I'm running, they just make them in China now, that's why I didn't mention them :sealed:. Part No. 103

Your choice.

Shade
November 27th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Thank yall very much

Shade
November 27th, 2012, 08:36 PM
What should be on my list to change out at 200,000 miles? Well, 210,000. I picked her up at 208k and changed the oil and tires, but what else do I need to do?

BigBlue79
November 27th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Tranny flush and refill, check gear oil, check/replace air filter, check your battery acid level, coolant flush and refill.

bikertrash3531
November 27th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Since it has 200k and is new to you, i would just give it a thorough going over. Check belts, hoses, any vaccume lines, fuel filter, test coolant if no good then flush, check trans and diff fluid, if the diff fluid is murky change it, check rubber brake lines for cracking or leaking. Your a miltary man, just give it a good PMCS.

ASwaff400
November 28th, 2012, 07:41 AM
i dont remember off hand but i believe the v10 is for the most part the same as the 5.4L but with 2 extra cylinders, which means COP's(coil on plug) not plug wires, cop's are pretty pricey as there is one coil for each plug... stick with motorcraft for these