PDA

View Full Version : Engine Swap

jmbeachner
February 22nd, 2013, 02:07 PM
I current have a 99 SD with a V10 with 291k, and it's been a champ of a truck. I drive 70 miles round trip for work each day and gas is obviously killing me at the current 9mpg and current gas prices. I don't want to get rid of the truck, but I do need to stop spending $600 a month in fuel. I considered swapping the powertrain out for a 5.4L. So I have a few questions:

a. If I found a 5.4L engine for the right price, could I match that to the existing automatic transmission?

b. If I have to purchase engine and transmission, are there any additional items needed to match up to the drivetrain?

c. Assuming that either of these scenarios are possible, what kind of ecm's, wiring harnesses, etc...would need to be swapped out?

I'm hoping to get some good feedback here so I can determine if this is going to be a cost effective solution to my problem. Thank you for any help/advise on this subject.

JSoko
February 22nd, 2013, 02:26 PM
I've never seen a V10, but I'm sure some of our technical gurus can help, or search for an answer

be patient most work during the day

Russo2
February 22nd, 2013, 05:45 PM
You'd be better off getting a different truck. You'd need to swap out everything, wiring harness, computer, trans etc etc. Plus the 5.4 won't yield much more in the mpg area anyway

glc
February 22nd, 2013, 06:13 PM
The 5.4 in the Super Duty is also a gas hog. What you would pay for a swap will buy a LOT of gas - or even better, take that money and buy a beater 4 cylinder car for your commute, park the truck and use it when you NEED a truck.

ASwaff400
February 22nd, 2013, 06:26 PM
what exactly to you use the truck for? if its just back and forth to work, all highway a 4BT(cummins 3.9l) swap would be a good choice, if you do any towing then a 6BT(cummins 5.9l) would be a good choice. with either of those motors, depending on transmission and gearing you'd EASILY get over 20mpg. hell i get 19 mpg at 65 in my f250 all stock.

either way if you do a motor swap with anything other than original, you'll be dropping a few shiny coins on the project. swapping a 5.4l you wont notice much of a difference in mpg but you'll surely notice the lack of power at highway speeds...

for example, last night i delivered a boat to a customer with my company truck, a '99 f250 SD with the 5.4l, the boat i was pulling was a 35 ft Donzi center console, weight about 10,500 lbs loaded, the truck was a dog trying to pull the boat up an overpass or trying to gain speed over 50 mph... my '04 f250 6.0L pulls my friend's 35 ft Intrepid walk-around which weighs around 14.5-15,000 lbs loaded, couldnt hardly tell it was there...

jmbeachner
February 22nd, 2013, 07:31 PM
Thank you all for the feedback. This confirms I'm better off purchasing something different.

JSoko
February 22nd, 2013, 08:28 PM
get a Harley, 40 - 65 mpg's

gtstang
March 10th, 2013, 10:01 AM
If your looking to swap find a 7.3 turbo. You have to swap everything. I have a friend that has done a bunch of these swaps when he's done you would think it came from Ford. Every wire all dash components, and he does it all without cutting a wire. Or you can get a programer,exhaust ,and air intake. I get 16-18 mpgs in my 00 250 SD V10