PDA

View Full Version : 1988 f150 4x4 will not engage front or rear drive shafts

jalisco kid
September 27th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Hello,
I have a 1988 ford f150 with a AOD transmission and a 1356 transfer case. I am down in central mexico right now. My transmission,engine and rear end was rebuilt about a year ago.
Last week while driving out to the ranch in 4 low during a rain storm my truck slipped into neutral. No power to forward or rear driveshafts. I played with the hubs, moved in and out of 4x4. nothing worked no noise from transfer case or tranny. I decided to try one more time and it went into drive 2 hi put her in 4 hi and climbed a hill towards the house. I let up on the gas and I could feel it drop out again(went about 300 yds). I got a tractor and towed her to the house. Next morning started it up and she worked fine. Drove 500 yds and it dropped out again. I jacked up the left rear wheel to see if it would turn in park. It does when in 2 hi but the wheel will not turn in 4 hi or 4 low when in park. The only thing I hear or see that is not right is you can not put the transmission back in park with the engine running. It starts to make a ratcheting noise between reverse and park. Not like a sound when you put it in park while still moving. I figure I have the energy to pull a transfer case apart never looked inside a auto transmission in my life. Any ideas before I find my tools?
kind regards,
Terry walker

JSoko
September 28th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Terry, hold off on the tools just yet
wait for a response from some others
it may be that something came loose and it's not a major gear issue

I have a question for you, Hows the Deer Hunting down there ???

bikertrash3531
September 28th, 2013, 11:07 AM
The tire spun in 2hi but not in 4hi or 4low? The transfer case is not at fault. Here's my reasoning. Only the left rear tire was off the ground, the two front tires were on the ground meaning nothing will spin without the front tires spinning also meaning the transfer case is fine. Your problems lie in the transmission. You haven't mentioned level, color, or smell of the fluid, have you checked it? Also check the linkage to see if its loose or excessively dirty. My reasoning there is i had a Bronco that would hold 1 and 2 but slip in drive. The linkage was screwed up allowing it to go into neutral. Good luck and keep us updated.

jalisco kid
September 28th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Fluid levels are up,clean and smell fine. I was hoping I really did not have an AOD and it was an electrical problem. The way it just drops out like someone turned off a sw. No noise at all. But I figured out I believe from reading last night that the 5 pin plug had nothing to do with a computer. So after I finish this cup of coffee I am going to pull my linkage apart and check that, then my transfer case if that is not the problem. I have no knowledge of auto transmissions and I hate parts changers. But I have had 3 mechanics here look at it and not one knows whats wrong. They all say they can fix it, but my guess is as good as theirs. I let you know what I found or did not find. Terry

jalisco kid
September 28th, 2013, 12:57 PM
I have deer on the ranch along with javalina. Deers down here are on the small side. We have jags here too but they are rare. Fishing great though.

jalisco kid
January 28th, 2014, 09:04 PM
I wanted to come back to thank those that helped me.
It ended up being the pump flew out of that groove and before being mangled in the gears took out my range fork. The guy that designed that ought to work on a drivetrain for awhile. Take care and thanks for being here. JK