Ford Truck Club Forum

Ford Truck Club Forum (http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/index.php)
-   1973-1991 Ford F150
(http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Oil pressure dance. (http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6411)

Russo2 February 16th, 2012 10:02 PM

Oil pressure dance.

Comin home, 65 on the highway running hot in 4th gear I noticed the oil pressure dropping off. It was dancing around the N and at one point dropped off to zero. No cel.
Grab 5th and lower rpms it went back up back where it usually does and stayed in R, then from the exit and down through town it stayed at the O like normal.
When I revved it sitting still it dropped off again once I hit 3k rpm.
It was raining all day so my initial though it maybe electrical since the oil pressure gauge is less than a gauge, more an idiot light. 6psi and it hits on.
So.. any ideas? I didn't smell any burning or hear anything odd.
I is scuurreedd.

Booba5185 February 16th, 2012 10:14 PM

Get a real gauge and check the pressure, any knocking or any different behavior (other than the gauge thing)? Edit: I can reads really, I can.

Swapping the oil pressure switch out for the oil pressure sender(pre-87 trucks) is extremely easy on the I6. Unscrew the old switch, then screw the sender in it's place. You wil have to pull your gauge cluster and solder 1 wire across a resistor. If you want more details I can elaborate.

Russo2 February 16th, 2012 10:21 PM

I know how to do the gauge fix, just don't have the time or moneys to do it right now.
If it's being retarded again tomorrow and the napa sender is less than the 7 dollars in my wallet, I'll pick one up.
But no, no loss of power or weird noises. I laid into er coming from a stop sign and it pulled just the same as always.

Booba5185 February 16th, 2012 10:24 PM

I think the sender is around $12, so it might have to wait. If it's acting normal I wouldn't worry to much, you'd definately hear a top end knock. That 300\I6 I'm swapping with my friend had a flaky oil pump, sometimes it had pressure, sometimes it didn't...and trust me, you knew when it didn't those valves make some NOISE.

Russo2 February 16th, 2012 10:28 PM

Well then I'm at a loss here cause it sounded fine.
I'd love to say piss on it and keep driving till it goes, but if that happens to be while I'm on my way to clinical and I'm late I lose 10 points off my grade and that pretty well fcks me.

Booba5185 February 16th, 2012 10:35 PM

Maybe try cleaning the connection on the switch?

Russo2 February 16th, 2012 10:36 PM

It's covered in oil so that would be a good start haha.
How does the sensor come out?

JSoko February 16th, 2012 10:48 PM

I second Booba, I can't add to what he said

drive it and ask GF or buddy to follow or to at least find someone to give you a lift
then do the above what Booba said or not, but drive it around close to the house this weekend and rag on it at time to see if its really got a oil problem, heck could be a bad oil filter

in the mean time Park It and ride with someone else

(oh I forgot don't let GF drive, being she's only 13)

Russo2 February 16th, 2012 11:01 PM

Well I'm good for this week, only place I'm goin is home.
Never thought of oil filter, it is all but brand new. Changed the oil on Sunday.
If things aren't fixed this weekend I will borrow a vehicle. I can't afford bad grades any more than I can afford a new engine.

Booba5185 February 16th, 2012 11:40 PM

The switch just unscrews, but you don't need to pull it...uintil you replace it. In the mean time, pull the wire off the end and clean the tip of the switch and inside the connector.