Ford Truck Club Forum

Ford Truck Club Forum (http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/index.php)
-   Ford Vans (http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=271)
-   -   1998 E-150 Conversion Van for towing (http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11371)

moshe1436 September 13th, 2017 02:38 PM

1998 E-150 Conversion Van for towing

This '98 Ford E-150 seems to be rated to handle a CGRW of 13,000 lbs. To do this the vehicle should have a tow-package and an auto tranny. My van has a 5.4 c.i. V-8. I'm sure it has a tranny cooler but beyond that I don't know exactly what a tow package consists of. The sticker on the left column says it's rated at GVWR of 7,000 lbs, as well as having axle "19" which I believe is a 3.55:1 axle. The following four codes on the sticker I don't understand: BRK - C; R - 8; TR - E; SPR- ZC/ULM. I have not purchased the trailer yet but would like to buy a 2013 Keystone Hideout 26RLS. The GRWR of the trailer is 7,850 lbs. I am concerned about overloading the van suspension and the class III hitch that I have even though I'll be using a load equalizing hitch and sway bar system. Any help regarding the four codes mentioned above will be appreciated as well as any opinions on my towing questions. Many thanks.

glc September 13th, 2017 07:39 PM

7850 is too much for any 1/2 ton van, sorry. Find something lighter.

The only thing that really tells me is you have a E4OD transmission, which is a good thing.

moshe1436 September 14th, 2017 09:21 AM

Thank you for your response. Disappointing, and I have canceled my purchase of the trailer and will now be looking for something lighter. I guess the logical question, based on the info in my original post, is to ask what would be the maximum trailer weight that I could tow. I would think one of the "Light"/"Lite" trailers might be an option but again I need to know what the club feels would be the maximum towing weight. Thanks.

glc September 14th, 2017 10:19 AM

I'd limit it to 6k. I'd also put load range E tires on it. The stock tires are marginal for a conversion van even before adding any kind of load.

moshe1436 September 14th, 2017 12:51 PM

Thanks glc! Appreciate your opinion. The "load range E" tires are an excellent recommendation. Is your 6,000 lbs limit is the "dry weight" of the trailer or GCWR of the trailer and contents? I would assume you mean the "dry" or "unladen weight. I don't " of the trailer. Please clarify! Many thanks for your input!

glc September 14th, 2017 09:01 PM

Your official max tow rating is in the 6500 to 6900 pound range with a standard E-150 van or wagon. The conversion will lower that, so that's why I say 6k max, and that's fully loaded. This does require a towing package, which has an upgraded transmission cooler and a factory installed Class 3 hitch.

moshe1436 September 15th, 2017 08:31 PM

Thanks for the info. It's all been very helpful. I'm not buying the heavier unit that I wanted and your information has been valuable.

JSoko September 21st, 2017 07:18 AM

good info given here
the first thing that will suffer will be the transmission, with any tow

moshe1436 September 21st, 2017 09:01 AM

Yes, I suspect you're correct with a possible tranny failure. The use will include no hills (we live in Florida) and short trips to local State Parks. But I hear what you're saying. In response to others with good suggestions: I bought a camper 2000 lbs lighter than the original one I was going to buy and feel this will be a good fit with the van. Thanks to all with all your responses.

moshe1436 December 5th, 2017 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moshe1436 (Post 93993)
Yes, I suspect you're correct with a possible tranny failure. The use will include no hills (we live in Florida) and short trips to local State Parks. But I hear what you're saying. In response to others with good suggestions: I bought a camper 2000 lbs lighter than the original one I was going to buy and feel this will be a good fit with the van. Thanks to all with all your responses.

I want to install a Transmission Temperature Gauge on my '98 Ford Conv. Van that has an E40D transmission. Any suggestions as to which one would be a good match? Thanks!