Ford Truck Club Forum

Ford Truck Club Forum (http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/index.php)
-   1993-1997 Ford Ranger
(http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Eliminate power steering (http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6026)

WORLDWITHIN@VERIZON.NET December 12th, 2011 07:36 PM

I mainly wanted to get rid of the a/c ,but because the only other serp belt was w/o a/c and p/s ; i had to lose both or keep both. And from a theoretical position i like the concept of "kiss" engineering. Complexities increase malfunctions. There is the classic nasa study to create a ball pt pen that would work in zero gravity. It was difficult engineering. The russians simply used a pencil-very "kiss" .russian mig landing gears were one time gas charges that weighed much less than us fighters. Etc,etc

WORLDWITHIN@VERIZON.NET December 12th, 2011 07:43 PM

I have at least 4 reasons for switching power to manual steering.
#1 Have you ever changed the plugs on a Ranger? I did and I cursed the a/c while trying to get at the 1st and 2nd plugs.The next time I do a comp test or need new plugs ,the job will be very much easier.
#2 I forgot to mention that the A/C system was bad anyway. My truck is not very valuable so I did not want to put either parts or time in its repair.

HawaiianF150 December 12th, 2011 07:48 PM

I once had a camaro and getting to the rear plugs was a nightmare until i drilled a 1 1/2" hole through the firewall for a socket and extenstion. Afterwards I covered the hole with a rubber grommet and there was peace in the land.

WORLDWITHIN@VERIZON.NET December 12th, 2011 07:49 PM

#3 The engine compartment of a Ranger is very crowded. hoses and excess wires everywhere. When I remove the entire A/c system, i will actually be able to see the essential elements and work on them. A fringe benefit will be I can try to sell the A/C parts to someone who wants them. I have never tried Craigs list before ,so that will be an experience.

WORLDWITHIN@VERIZON.NET December 12th, 2011 07:52 PM

camaro plug solution- yes, thats "kiss" and American creativity.

nine5flareside December 12th, 2011 09:23 PM

:gasp: WTH!

JSoko December 12th, 2011 09:53 PM

... and there was peace in the land, :drunk_buds:

WORLDWITHIN@VERIZON.NET December 13th, 2011 08:38 PM

#4 tHIS IS PRETTY TECHNICAL. iT HAS TO DO WITH VEHICLE CENTER OF MASS. fOR EXAMPLE, IF YOU HAVE A VEHICLE AND IT GOES 0-60 IN SAY 9 SECS. tHEN YOU CHANGE ONLY THE MOTOR MOUNTS SO THAT THE ENGINE NOT SITS-SAY 2 IN LOWER : NOW THE VEHICLE IS FASTER, SAY 0-60 IN 8.8 SECS. iTS WHY SPORTS CARS ARE FAST FOR THIER RELATIVELY SMALL ENGINE SIZE. WHY HORIZONTALLY OPPOSED ENGINES LIKE THE VW, SUBARU, AND BMW MOTORCYCLE ARE RELATIVELY FAST.
IT ALSO IMPROVES HANDLING AND BRAKING BY LOWERING THE CENTER OF MASS. ALSO, ONE REASON WHY PEOPLE LOWER CARS AND TRUCKS.
THE A/C COMPRESSOR IS RELATIVELY HEAVY AND IS AT THE TOP OF THE ENGINE .SAME WITH THE P/S PUMP. ALSO , I LIKE TO CHANGE OUT GLASS WINDOWS WHICH ARE HEAVY AND HIGH FOR PLEXIGLAS WINDOWS. BETTER TO CHANGE HIGH WINDOW WEIGHT THAN LOW WEIGHT LIKE BUMPERS.

WORLDWITHIN@VERIZON.NET December 13th, 2011 08:39 PM

#5 Just general elimination of complexity. The less complex, the more reliable. My pet peeves are things like electrically adjustable side mirrors, auto dimming high beams, auto night mirror position. I have a Lincoln LSC that has a auto rear mirror and it was heavy and it would go into an oscillation whenever headlights hit it. It was humorous for a while.
Little things like my ranger had a hood light which i removed. i will also soon get rid of my glove box light. Because i carry a trouble light and a flashlight to read a map. Why should i take a chance on my glove box wires shorting together and running down my battery. My flashlight wont ever have that problem-and has other uses.
Just a personal philosophy.
so, thats basically the reasons why I want to change from power steering to manual. I hope that someone comes to this forum who has done this in the past. So, for now I will just plug away at it and see where it takes me. Thanks, ----- jim

HawaiianF150 December 13th, 2011 10:17 PM

Why do i feel like a bb on a four lane hwy?