Ford Truck Club Forum

Ford Truck Club Forum (http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/index.php)
-   1993-1997 Ford Ranger
(http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Eliminate power steering (http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6026)

WORLDWITHIN@VERIZON.NET December 29th, 2011 02:08 PM

AS AN UPDATE - I DID ELIMINATE THE A/C AND P/S PUMP FROM MY SERPINTINE BELT. STEERING EFFORT WAS SOMEWHAT DIFFICULT BUT, AT 10 MPH IT BECAME VERY MANAGEABLE. I REMOVED MY A/C. NEXT I WILL REMOVE THE P/S PUMP.I PLAN ON TAKING THE INPUT LINE TO THE STEERING BOX AND RUNNING IT INTO THE OUTPUT LINE.
I NEED TO KEEP THE BOX LUBRICATED. LATER I MAY REMOVE THE P/S FLUID AND PUT IN MOTOR OIL OR SOMETHING THICKER. I AM NOT SURE ABOUT THIS ? HAS ANYONE DONE THIS BEFORE ? DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ,CONSTRUCTIVE, SUGGESTIONS ?
I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY THOUGHTFUL IDEAS. --- jim

JSoko December 29th, 2011 02:43 PM

I like the hose loop idea, just make sure the threads are compatiable

leave the P/S fluid in there over useing oil
some gears and clutches prefer the fluid typically an ATF of the correct Type, be it Type 'F', Dexron, Mercron or Mercron II; then ya got some fro GM & Chrysler use

For those that dont know just as in Brake Fluid all ATF's are not compatiable

how dose the belt situation turning out, as in did you go with differant size belts to find the right one ?

WORLDWITHIN@VERIZON.NET December 29th, 2011 07:58 PM

OK THANKS,J - I WILL GO WITH LEAVING THE P/S FLUID IN. THE FACTORY AND AFTER MARKET PEOPLE PRODUCE 2 LENGTHS OS SERP BELT. ONE LONG ONE FOR WITH A/C AND P/S AND ONE SHORTER ONE FOR WITHOUT A/C AND P/S. SO THAT PART WAS EASY ,I BOUGHT THE SHORTER ONE AND IT INSTALLED EASILY AND I'M RUNNING IT RIGHT NOW.
I WILL ALSO TRY TO GET 13 INCH WHEELS THAT ARE RELATIVELY NARROW FOR LESS WT AND STEERING EFFORT. I HAVE NOTICED THAT SOME CHRYSLER WHEELS HAVE THE SAME BOLT PATTERN BUT A LARGER AXLE (CENTER ) HOLE. I THINK THAT THERE ARE ADAPTERS MADE BY THE AFTER MARKET TO MAKE A LARGE CENTER HOLE SMALLER. BUT, I HAVE TO READ UP ON THIS OR CHECK AT A JUNK YARD ?
I THANK YOU ------ jim

JSoko December 29th, 2011 08:21 PM

wheel adapters can spell trouble; when you change steering geometry your asking for trouble, stay with the stock wheels
meaning most outset the wheel to a uncomfortable stance/strain
causing ball joint wear amoungest other issues

WORLDWITHIN@VERIZON.NET January 5th, 2012 07:06 PM

I agree,but i didnt mean adapters in the sense of- for example, the large heavy plates with lug bolts that changed the vw bug pattern to a chevy pattern to allow larger, wider wheels.
I should have said "inserts" which go in the wheel center hole to allow one wheel with a certain lug pattern to go on another vehicle with a smaller center hole. I know the tire repair people use these. But, i am not fully knowledgeable about them.

nine5flareside January 5th, 2012 07:41 PM

What exactly is the point of all of this?

Russo2 January 5th, 2012 08:19 PM

Hotrod :headbang:
Just kidding I have no idea.
caps lock is fun though.

JSoko January 5th, 2012 11:10 PM

"for less wt and steering effort"

WORLDWITHIN@VERIZON.NET January 6th, 2012 11:55 AM

I WOULD LIKE TO DISCUSS THE "WHATS THE POINT" . I UNDERSTOOD THAT THIS WAS A FORUM FOR EXCHANGE OF KNOWLEDGE ABOUT VEHICLES IN GENERAL, AND RANGERS IN PARTICULAR. LIKE THE SONG SAYS - I COME HERE SEEKING KNOWLEDGE.
INCIDENTALLY I LEARNED TO USE ALL CAPS BECAUSE IT IS STANDARD PRACTICE IN THE ACCOUNTING AND TAX PROFESSION.
IM SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANYONE, BUT I ONLY KNOW SOME THINGS ABOUT THE MECHANICS OF VEHICLES. IF I KNEW EVERYTHING ABOUT VEHICLES, THEN I WOULD NOT BE HERE, I COULD JUST CONCENTRATE ON WRITING A BOOK ---( IN ALL CAPS )
THANKS, ------ jim

nine5flareside January 6th, 2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WORLDWITHIN@VERIZON.NET (Post 49929)
I WOULD LIKE TO DISCUSS THE "WHATS THE POINT" . I UNDERSTOOD THAT THIS WAS A FORUM FOR EXCHANGE OF KNOWLEDGE ABOUT VEHICLES IN GENERAL, AND RANGERS IN PARTICULAR. LIKE THE SONG SAYS - I COME HERE SEEKING KNOWLEDGE.
INCIDENTALLY I LEARNED TO USE ALL CAPS BECAUSE IT IS STANDARD PRACTICE IN THE ACCOUNTING AND TAX PROFESSION.
IM SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANYONE, BUT I ONLY KNOW SOME THINGS ABOUT THE MECHANICS OF VEHICLES. IF I KNEW EVERYTHING ABOUT VEHICLES, THEN I WOULD NOT BE HERE, I COULD JUST CONCENTRATE ON WRITING A BOOK ---( IN ALL CAPS )
THANKS, ------ jim

I hope no one was offended by the caps... that's silly if someone is.

As far as me asking "what's the point" , it's just a bit odd what you are doing BUT it is your truck so I was just curious what was the point of what you are doing?

We don't judge, just question! :smilez: