Ford Truck Club Forum

Ford Truck Club Forum (
-   2004-2008 Ford F150
-   -   Engine Missing on acceleration or when "punching it" (

adoporto March 9th, 2016 03:17 AM

Engine Missing on acceleration or when "punching it"
I have a 08' F150 5.4 L King Ranch, when I'm at a stop sign and take off or even at a rolling start if I accelerate quickly or "punch it" I get some hesitation or a miss? Any ideas where to start? Completely new to this vehicle purchased it about 1 year ago. All I have done are the regular oil changes and air filter changes so far.

JSoko March 9th, 2016 08:42 AM

how about that check engine light ?

I had a similar issue
turned out to be the crankshaft position sensor

glc March 9th, 2016 11:43 AM

How many miles on it? If over 60k, change the spark plugs. Put a bottle of Techron in the gas.

pete59edsel March 20th, 2016 02:41 PM

Yeah first thing check codes, other then that your tossing good money after bad. I could tell ya its because of your gas, i could tell you cops may be going out, i could tell ya its cause your sock has a hole in it. Good luck.

adoporto April 28th, 2016 09:30 PM

It has 129k on it, I bought it and it had 110k. The only thing I have done is regular oil and air filter changes.

As for the check engine lights, nothing has come on. I did the system check and all is good. Since my last post I now have a radiator leak of some kind and when driving I also hear a fan like noise and it increases as I give it more throttle. When it rains it pours!!!!:angry:

adoporto May 1st, 2016 07:09 PM

Reduced Engine Power
I now got a message from the dash "reduced engine power"

adoporto May 1st, 2016 07:44 PM

Checking Codes?
I may have a two part problem here, one a radiator leak/hose which I will have to dig some more to find where it is actually coming from. I think this may be related to the Reduced Engine Power issue

Two the hesitation sound a lot like VCT solenoid that Pete wrote up a topic on.

This may sound like a stupid question or statement, I have never pulled codes from any vehicle which sounds pretty basic. Do you have to buy an expensive gadget or just take to shop? I've seen guys talk about using a paper clip jumper on older fords(my 1992). I'm new to the 2008's.


JSoko May 2nd, 2016 06:02 AM

don't know if this has anything to do with your leak
but see this

glc May 2nd, 2016 10:32 AM

All you need is a OBD2 code reader, they can be bought online for $20 - most parts stores offer free code reading.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:28 PM. is not authorized, endorsed or affiliated with the Ford Motor Company
or any of their subsidiaries. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6 Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.