Ford Truck Club Forum

Ford Truck Club Forum (http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/index.php)
-   Garage Talk: Electrical & Lighting (http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=228)
-   -   What GPS are you using? (http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4191)

marmaduke November 14th, 2010 12:55 AM

What GPS are you using?

Thinking of getting a Tom Tom Go 630, also has blue tooth. Anyone know this unit?:smilez:

nine5flareside November 14th, 2010 02:06 AM

I don't know that unit personally but I know that most GPS units out now are all the same and they all work well. Tom Tom is pretty much top of the line for portable GPS units, I don't see why you would have an issue with it.

My trucks GPS is from ALPINE. It's a built in touch screen, DVD player navigation unit.

iamosolo November 14th, 2010 06:24 PM

I'm in the market for a portable gps as well for my wife's car. Normally, I prefer an integrated all in one unit similar to Nine5's, but she prefers her car completely unmodified. A quick google search returned some very positive reviews on the TomTom GO 630. Two things that are very attractive to me, are the Bluetooth (My wife is straight scary while driving on the phone), and the price. Personally, I will probably wait 'til "Black Friday" to see if there are any deals on comparable units. Why? I don't know, since my wife has already downloaded most of the Black Friday ads already.

EDIT: Hey Nine5, how do you like yours? What model is it? I had an Alpine dvd unit very similar in appearance to that one, albeit without navigation. I loved it do death, literally. It got trashed in an accident.

ASwaff400 November 14th, 2010 06:41 PM

i have yet used a GPS for navigation in the truck, just print out directions on google and its close enough... kinda fun driving cross country without a GPS

Russo2 November 3rd, 2011 10:07 PM

I'm rippin this thread straight out of the grave just to say, that fancy pants stereo looks weird in the pre 97 dash.
And to ask where this would likely go if moved? I was thinkin it could stay here.

JSoko November 4th, 2011 09:35 AM

keep in mind that GPS units are used for more than just driving

I have an excellent memory, I dont go places if I dont know where I'm going
I've seen GPS units for the Hunter, and I cant belive someone can walk into the woods and cant find there way back day or night

I learned at an early age to navagate with my eyes closed
I belive Military Training should be a must for all young men

"No Obstacle Too Difficult"

BigT67 November 4th, 2011 10:21 AM

I use the GPS in my head. It has gotten me home every time over the last 44 years, no sense in replacing now.... :grinz:

Russo2 November 4th, 2011 12:11 PM

When I have to traverse the big city I use a garmin. Better than a tom tom or Magellan by lightyears.
If i'm not in the city then it don't matter.

JSoko November 4th, 2011 12:38 PM

when I'm in the Big City (Atlanta) and can't see the sun or stars, I find my way out by listening to the gun shots, the less I hear the closer I'am to Home

ASwaff400 November 4th, 2011 07:27 PM

i usually use the GPS in my phone when im in unfamiliar areas, i hardly ever use a GPS on the boat not even at night, mainly use for speedometer...