Ford Truck Club Forum

Ford Truck Club Forum (http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/index.php)
-   1973-1991 Ford F150
(http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   next small project (http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10732)

harrison28 August 28th, 2015 01:12 PM

next small project

well, now the 2000 excursion is back on the road and running well. it's time to pay some attention to my 91 with the 302 and auto transmission. last time i put it on the road i was about 50 miles from home and the transmission wouldn't stay in O.D. after making it all but home with no issues other than the constant high rpm's, the passenger side head gasket decided to spring a leak over the header. which is no big because i need to get into that head anyway. had some ticking going on right there in that spot. i'll take some photos this weekend when i get started. need to get this thing back on the road! this is my baby!!:ford2:

skatebowd August 29th, 2015 10:29 AM

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JSoko August 29th, 2015 11:26 AM

keep your hands dirty

harrison28 August 29th, 2015 07:03 PM

Thank you sir. I definitely will.

harrison28 August 30th, 2015 08:55 AM

Under water

Well folks, it has stopped raining. And hopefully for long enough that I can continue on with working on pulling the heads out of my 91. Don't have a whole lot of time today though. Radar looked like I'll be taking cover around 1ish. More liquid sunshine!!! Guess I better grab another beer and get started!:rebel:

harrison28 August 30th, 2015 10:52 AM

Stand still

1 Attachment(s)
Well,...went as far as I can. Loaned someone my fuel line tool 2 weeks ago so he can change his fuel filter. Can't take the fuel rail off until I squeeze him this week. Got a hot project here on hold over a $7 tool. Guess I'll go punish my liver!

harrison28 September 1st, 2015 12:07 PM

so i got my fuel line tool back from my co-worker today. now if i could get an afternoon that doesn't involve a thunderstorm, i could get the fuel rail off and get the intake manifold out of the way. all the rocker arms and rods felt solid on both sides with the valve covers off. hope to have the heads off pretty soon,....see what's making all the noise. until next time.

harrison28 February 3rd, 2016 01:18 PM

i haven't updated this project recently due to moving and work. but, i have found out some less than exciting info during this time. 1st,....i don't claim be a master mechanic or a vehicle know it all. so i found out from my machinist that the "351w" that i planned on putting in this truck is actually a 302. he showed me on the block how to see the difference so that it doesn't happen to me next time. the motor had a 5.8 labeled plenum when i bought the 88 a few years back, so that's where they got me. either way,...the 302 block is at the machine shop having the bottom end pulled and gone through. i've already had the heads redone and have them in the garage bagged up and waiting to go. as soon as i get some of my side projects done that i'm doing for others,...i need to pull the carpet and seat out of the truck so that i can cut the floor pan for the standard tranny. onward and forward!!!!!!

harrison28 February 24th, 2016 12:56 PM

finally got a call back from the machine shop. he's telling me that my block is already bored to 40 and that it needs to to go to 60. he said that he would do it, but doesn't like to because historically he has seen problems with 302's bored to 60. i'm gonna pick it up this afternoon and try to get some more info. not sure if anyone knows what kind of trouble i'd run into if he went for it. any advice would be greatly accepted. i guess i'll pull the 302 that's already in the truck out and get it checked too since it needs to be rebuilt also. sometimes it's always something!!

harrison28 February 24th, 2016 03:35 PM

i've looked around and found cylinder sleeves online. has anyone had any success with this type of installation?