Ford Truck Club Forum

Ford Truck Club Forum (http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/index.php)
-   1992-1996 Ford F150
(http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Turn Signal Mirrors (http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7121)

The Frankster July 6th, 2012 10:50 PM

Turn Signal Mirrors

After some research, I know some 96 F150, Eddie Bauer and Bronco's came with the turn signal in the outside mirrors. According to Edmunds they where standard on the Bronco Sport. The trucks, I haven't pinned that down yet. Doing a search led to a thread on another forum. Some 95's had them. They didn't weather well.(I don't know if they meant the glass or the whole mirror) The TSM has an 8 pin connector where the pwr only has a 4 pin. You may have them and not know it since you cannot see the TS working from inside the cab. They are very rare and Ford doesn't carry them any more. I have found one, a NOS piece but I'm afraid to buy it because I may not never find one for the other side. Been looking in some yards, but most mirrors are gone and they only had a 4 pin harness. I was getting out of my truck the other day and noticed some red on my wifes pass mirror. The mirror looked to be the same shape as the 150. Hers is a 05 Mountineer. The light bulb went on so I took a piece of tin foil and placed it on my dr mirror and ran my finger around the edge and made a perfect template. The mountinerr is almost the same size but the 150 glass is a little longer and taller. So there went that idea. I had found some companies that made the TSM kits even with optional heaters, but I have not found any yet that make the 92-96 150 kits. I did talk to a guy from a company that was listed in a post on another forum and they don't make them either, but go to a glass company and get them to measure the mirror and they could make a kit. That is stupid in my thinking. I'm going to look them back up and see if I can just send them a replacement mirror($15). If that works then I think I have to come up with a little over $200 and they will make them. Anyone got an illistrated parts break down of 92-96 mirrors? I'm curious about how they are made and put together in case I can find salvage units and put motor and mirror into new housings. If I am, where am I going wrong? Any better ideas or where to find them? Thanks in advance for your input.

BigBlue79 July 6th, 2012 10:59 PM

I don't have any input on the Glass company make kits, but I know a guy that paid $200 a mirror for 2 of those at a local salvage here and they didn't work, he said he knew a company that fixed them but I didn't ask further.

They pop up in pairs from time to time on Ebay just gotta search everyday about every 3-4hrs to see if any are listed..

Russo2 July 6th, 2012 11:19 PM

If these are the mirrors you speak of..
http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/p...52982971_n.jpg
Then all I have to say is good luck.
I know of two guys that have them. One paid dearly for them the other just got lucky and found them in a yard I do believe. Both have been retro fitted to an OBS powerstroke.
The guy on ebay has one NOS I think, but only one and has had the same one for awhile. They were offered only on the 1996 bronco EB edition, but not all EB. Just like the dual visors it's an option that not many people opted for and it's now sought after by many.

bikertrash3531 July 7th, 2012 01:33 AM

Hmmm. Learn something new everday. I would have never thought that these would have been an option on any pre 97 trucks. Interesting.

BigBlue79 July 7th, 2012 01:45 AM

They are about as rare as seeing a Unicorn..

The Frankster July 7th, 2012 10:07 AM

You got that right Bigblue, and yes Russo, they are the ones. The kits only have a single arrow where the Ford ones have 3. Where they sequintal[sic]? One guy said "made truck more luxsurious[sic I think], I say more high end. Well I'll see what I can come up with. I believe I read somewhere that you can tie these in to blinker and brake. As I learn more I'll update. Yes the one on ebay is $175.00. Dennis Carpenter sells pwr only (i need to ck with them on those) for $240 ea. I know they are Ford but thats insane. I just hate putting that Tiwain crap on my truck. Thanks for your input.

weareweird69 July 7th, 2012 10:12 AM

Thanks for showing off my truck for me Russo lol

The mirrors were only an option on Bronco's Not sure if they were standard or not on the sports. Ive seen sports with them, but its really hard to figure out which ones had them because they are THAT hard to see.

Here is a shot of mine with them not on.
http://www.nloc.net/photopost/data/1...Signal_Off.jpg

And like the OP said, its very hard to know if you actually have them because you cant see them from inside the truck. As for companies who make/made them. These EXACT ones are no longer made, and were originally made by Muth Mirrors. They can Retro-fit some for you, but its NOT cheap, and they are like the Chevy ones, with the single file LED's that you can see in the vehicle.

As for breakdowns of the mirrors. When you get one in your hand, remove the rubber/plastic gasket on the base, and youll find a torx, and a torx on the bottom of the mirror. Remove those and the base comes off the wing. As for getting at the motors, you have to remove the glass, and 90% of the time, your going to break it getting it out. You can also change the paddle on the back (chrome or black part). But you have to get the glass out to do it.

Good luck on your search! I got the last set off the guy from Ebay, and that was 3 years ago.

weareweird69 July 7th, 2012 10:14 AM

They are not sequential in the mirror, no. And only tie them into the turn signal.

nine5flareside July 7th, 2012 10:47 AM

Thanks for the info! Good luck finding an OEM pair of those bad boys!

weareweird69 July 7th, 2012 11:38 AM

Russo will tell you I am a wealth of info. LOL Glad I can help.