Ford Truck Club Forum

Ford Truck Club Forum (http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/index.php)
-   1992-1996 Ford F150
(http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Dana 60 Axle Swap (http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1707)

nine5flareside November 12th, 2009 01:11 AM

Dana 60 Axle Swap

So my new plan is to swap out my front axle with a Dana 60 also known as an SAS (solid axle swap). Is there a difference between the D60 from a Dodge, Chevy etc. or do I just stick with a Ford Dana 60? What is a good year to look into and is this swap pretty easy or is there fabrication involved?

RedHot150 November 12th, 2009 10:20 AM

I don't know too much about the axle swaps here...1ton would probably know...

something i just thought about though....if you do the axle swap...you won't be able to use your wheels you have mounted with your 37's

JSoko November 12th, 2009 11:00 AM

the D60 incorporrates one of the spring pearches in the casting of the pumpkin
drivers side for FORD
passenger side for Dodge & GM
and that mounting point can't be changed relitive to the center line of the axle

go and look at some at a junk yard you'll know what I mean

stay with FORD

Old Blue November 12th, 2009 07:22 PM

Ford all the way

Your gonna want to use a ford axle, cause it is a high pinion. The chevy would be a right hand side diff. There are companys that offer sas kits. Are you staying coils and radius arms, going to leafs or four linking it? Whats your back axle plans?

nine5flareside November 12th, 2009 08:31 PM

Im not offroading and this is not my daily driver. Four link sounds interesting... do you have any info on this? I live in NYC area. Closest dirt trail leads to a pool in my fathers backyard!

This is a budget build show truck to promote the site and enter in car shows... will be driven as well!

DIXIE FIX November 12th, 2009 09:25 PM

Definitely will want a Ford D60. The hubs on these are much better than the dodge UNIT bearing design. You will also have the option for manual locking hubs. The other issue most dont notice is that with the dodge axle you cant run crossover steering (without welding a new pitman arm to the steering knuckle. Low pinion is another unwanted trait of the Dodge D60's that is not fix able, even with a cut and turn there still will be stress on the lower portion of the pinion.

I recommend staying with the radius arms and coil springs. Its simple on that truck, rides good and will be fine for the street truck. Ill get you a few pictures of one that just got done.

as far as bolt pattern like i told you in the email you will want axles from a 98 or older F250 that will give you the old 8x6.5 pattern. From 99+ you will get a 8x170 pattern that will work but then you are stuck with having to get a Sterlin 10.5 rear. Which isnt bad but they arent exactly the cheapest axles.

This is what id do:
D60 High Pinion Front 98 or older.
GM 14 bolt rear
radius arms & coils
4.56 - 4.88 gears
37-40" tires

this will give the truck a full one ton running gear and give you the gear you will want to run up to 44's. More gear would help but like you said the truck will stay on the road. if you want mroe torque then go 4.88's if you want less RPMS go with 4.56's

and yeah thanks for the darn money

DIXIE FIX November 12th, 2009 09:32 PM

take a look at this thread. its over on CHUCKSTRUCKS.NET

http://chuckstrucks.iforumer.com/vie...m=chuckstrucks

nine5flareside November 12th, 2009 09:40 PM

Front sounds good. As far as the rear, I am not offroading so I think the 8.8 will be fine, no? I'll just throw ladder bars on the rear axle and call it a day. Obviously upgrade the shocks and gear set. Plus I already bought a trac lock unit for the 8.8 rear and dont want to take that loss. The BIG question... is this something that I can do on my own with a friend and some good torque wrenches and hand tools?

And please get the pictures!

DIXIE FIX November 12th, 2009 09:49 PM

that website has the built thread on it, with multiple pictures . Unless you find a bolt on kit then you will need to weld. If you can do that i dont see why you couldnt do it yourself. You are picking the EASIEST F150 to attempt on.

If you keep the 8.8 then you will have 2 different bolt patterns. so that means two sets of wheels.

The 8.8s are a high sell item in the explore, bronco II, and ranger crowd so im sure you can unload it. Ive seen GM 14bolts go for $200 already setup with gears and a locker.

IMO if you are going to stick with the 8.8 then rethink the D60 idea. Go with a Ford 9" Front axle. Plenty strong for the 37" tires and being a street truck it will also handle 40's fine. If you go this route that gives you 5x5.5 bolt pattern front and rear. This would be what id do knowing what your doing with the truck

nine5flareside November 12th, 2009 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedHot150 (Post 18265)
I don't know too much about the axle swaps here...1ton would probably know...

something i just thought about though....if you do the axle swap...you won't be able to use your wheels you have mounted with your 37's

Why is that Red about the rim?