Ford Truck Club Forum

Ford Truck Club Forum (http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/index.php)
-   Garage Talk: Solid Axle Swaps (http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   1999 ford f-150 sas (http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3252)

BigTrouble May 21st, 2010 04:05 PM

1999 ford f-150 sas

I'm wanting to do a sas in the future and was wanting to know if yall think a f-250 superduty front axle will fit. I hate the ifs and auto hubs.

Bates88 May 21st, 2010 04:31 PM

DIXIE, OLD BLUE, KLITCH and/or WEBBY can probably help you the best there BT.

nine5flareside May 21st, 2010 06:50 PM

That would be DIXIE, me, old blue and aswaff are pre 1996 SAS.

catmechanic07 May 21st, 2010 06:57 PM

You can add what ever you want. Just depends on how much work and time you are interested in investing. I know you said you dont like the IFS but there has to be more of a reason behind a SAS than that. Rock climbing, bigger lift, rougher ride..........??

BigTrouble May 21st, 2010 07:10 PM

I just mainly want to beef up my f150 plus I rather have a solid axle cause they don't break as easy. my f150 is the heaviest f150 I have ever owned she has the block heater from the factory. plus I want to lift it a little and its much easier to lift a leaf spring or a coil spring suppention and plus I want the added support of having the heavier suppention so if i decide to do a diesel swap too

Klitch May 21st, 2010 07:32 PM

I hate to shoot ya down here, but in reality its easier to throw a 6" fabtech lift on than it will be to cut and weld in a superduty pre 1999 axle. also cheaper, Just on this part is what this comment is for.

I beat the piss out of my truck, broke some things, but nothing ever extremely expensive on the front end. Running the fabtech 6" I jumped my truck, granted it was only probably 1foot high or less at 60mph, but its still a heavy hit.

I also dont know if the diesel idea is that much of a toll on the IFS weight wise, but the 8.8 probably would give ya a good show when it says its done from torque!

BigTrouble May 21st, 2010 08:51 PM

thanks for your info man but I still want to swap it over to a solid axle. the most expencive part probably would be the axle and it probably wouldn't take but a full weekend and a couple cases of beer to get it on the truck so I'm gonna stick with my plan

catmechanic07 May 21st, 2010 09:07 PM

If your stuck on the idea your stuck! My hats off to ya for wanting the headache of doing a job like this. Just wondering..........surely you dont think that just because your engine has a block heater.....that its a heavier truck? All a block heater is, is a power cord that you plug up to warm the coolant in the block. Most trucks sold above the freeze line have that as an option or standard.

SAS: Go for it. Do you have access to a welder, torch, and all the fixens needed for this size job? Dixie is a great guy to help you thru this process if you can catch him. He may opt to give you a cell # if you get to the point of the actual swap. Good luck and keep your findings and doings posted!

Klitch May 21st, 2010 09:13 PM

Cat dont nit pick the little things like block heaters! speaking of, I never did figure out why I launched both of mine when I first did the blown 5.4 swap...

The swap its self does not look daunting, no, gathering all the parts, measuring and laying it out properly will take the most time. I'm one month into mine, waiting on parts from farmboy fab. Hi-steer knuckle is taking time to locate.

BigTrouble May 21st, 2010 09:23 PM

well my truck was originally bought in Montanan where I rather be but saying that just the way the truck rides and pulls I know its heavier that a normal f150 plus it has all the extra oil cooler and trans cooler. and I also want to put the super duty suppention on it anyways and like i said in the first post I hate auto hubs