Ford Truck Club Forum

Ford Truck Club Forum (http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/index.php)
-   1987-1991 Ford F250 | F350
(http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   89 F250 2WD to 4WD (http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10610)

ArmyVet March 8th, 2015 05:04 PM

89 F250 2WD to 4WD

Hello everyone. Before we get started don't go tell me to buy another truck etc.... I have alot of sentimental value with this truck. To me it is priceless even if you think it is junk. I have been around this truck for 20+ years now and finally got it for myself. It has just over 60k original miles. It is a 1989 F-250 XLT Lariat 2WD 351W Automatic. Came from the factory with the plow package and the extra frame coating under the bed. I believe the plow package might have had a little heavier duty suspension also. There is no rust anywhere on this truck. It is in excellent condition. However living in West Virginia I myself find the 2WD a hindrance. I am going to convert it one way or another. I don't know if I should go with a S.A.S. or try and convert the front and rear both to the 05+ setup. Anyone with experience in this please feel free to let me know about your journey. I'm also willing to travel to do the swap with someone who has the experience. Thank you for your time and reading my ranting post.

JSoko March 8th, 2015 08:04 PM

Welcome to the site

that question has been asked before
I'm sure the smart ones will be alone soon to help you out

Russo2 March 8th, 2015 09:18 PM

If you truly value the truck that much, I'd do 05+ super duty axles.
No sense in swapping to leaves to hate the ride.

ArmyVet March 11th, 2015 02:33 PM

come on now...

I know one of you knowledgeable old farts can help a veteran brother out. 400+ views and 2 friendly yet unguided replies. I thought this was supposed to be a good board for help.

ASwaff400 March 11th, 2015 05:32 PM

first i would say if you really love the truck its a worthwhile upgrade. your 2wd f250 should be coil sprung on the front end. which will make swapping a 05-up axles a little easier. another axle you can use is a 70's coil sprung dana 44 from an F150/bronco and swap 8-lug outers on. either way will use radius arms and will probably require at least 4 inches of lift to clear the engine cross member... if you go with the newer 05 axles, you'll have disk brakes out back which is nice, and a slightly wider track width.

this side has been close to dead over the last year...:lame2:

ROB281 October 9th, 2015 10:30 PM

There a how to somewhere on this 05+ axle swap?

I too have an 89 250 and wouldn't mind upgrading to 4wd in the future

harrison28 October 13th, 2015 08:55 AM

i've got a set of 05 350 axles. the rear is a dually though. they came out of a 4x4 king ranch edition with only 40k miles. if you and the family are coming to see the magic rat anytime soon,...i'm real close.