Quantcast Ford Truck Club Forum - View Single Post - Useless Fuel in Drive
View Single Post
Old February 27th, 2013, 02:57 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

x2 on old thread.. was brought here by seeing it in the "Similar Threads" box below. Regardless... The only time I shift to N at a stop light is if it's a long cycle. Save your tranny! I agree with what whitesleeper says above. You can possibly overheat the tranny if you leave it in gear to long without moving. I haven't witnessed this with my 2 trucks (I don't have a tranny temp gauge and desire one badly), but I have with my tanker.

Granted, it's a military vehicle, I've accidentally left one in drive with the park brakes on for a few minutes, luckily, I came back to the cab to check on something, realized it was still in drive, placed it in neutral and noticed the tranny temp was up in the 220'ish range. Oops.

Back to our trucks. Also, another reason I'll put it in N or maybe P, is if I've braked to hard. Get them hot pads off that hot rotor and some air space between. I don't want to warp them anymore than they already are. Yeah, the distance between pad and rotor isn't much when not applied, but it's something. You might scoff at my reasoning, but, I am entitled to my own opinion damint.

Double(. Y .)Dee
SSG, TXARNG
OIF III ('05) & OIF VIII ('10)
Least knowledgeable when it comes to the whirly, spinny things.

How To Use The FTC Gallery
Check out the Truck of the Month forum and vote!
2004-2008 F-150 Specific How To's:
VIN Decoder
Gotts Mod - 4.6L (5.4L similar)
Big 3 Upgrade
Seat Removal
Interior Door Disassembly SCrew (RCab/SCab similar)
Interior Trim/Carpet Removal

"Fighting is not handing out cookies, it's gunfire and rockets, and there will be casualties." - Haji Khalifa Mohammad Shah