Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > RANGER | MAZDA-B > 1989-1992 Ford Ranger

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old September 7th, 2013, 06:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation Fuel gauge not working

I just recently bought a 1991 ranger STX. It has a v6 2.9 liter engine, and little to no body damage. But the fuel gauge isn't working. I have heard from some people to drop the tank and replace to replace the float, but i've also heard that i can't do this to my truck specifically. I think it could possibly be something with wires, because it looks like the gauge right next to it (i believe it might be the battery gauge) isnt working either. Im tired of resetting my trip every time i fill up, because sometimes i dont have enough for a full tank, so it wont be able to get up to 200 miles and ill run out of gas thinking i have another 50 miles of gas left. so can anyone help me out? Much appreciated.

-Justin
Old September 7th, 2013, 11:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello Justin. You can test the sending. should be 10-73 ohms depending on if its full or empty. If your getting anything other then that you have either a short or broken conetion and then you'll need to replace it. Gauge is easy to test. Use a 9v battery and touch it to the gauge. If it jumps to full then it's good. If its not sending unit or gauge the you'll néed to hunt down the problem in the wiring harness.

"Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young."
-Henry Ford

“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
-G.K. Chesterton
Old September 8th, 2013, 03:25 AM

Liked 187 Times in 169 Posts

to get to the top of the fuel tank just remove the bed, only 4 bolts

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 38
AlfredHof , BrianRed , Charlessam , ChiefVersace , ClezeripLover , Deannanob , DeweyFum , DiplPoothekayah , Franciswem , Frankmaide , GeraldHek , glc , her , Irinagluch , Jesseplosy , Josephtok , JSoko , LarryVab , LiamMarry , LuxuryBetvewly , Mauricenum , Michaelanify , mike091791 , Richardkig , Richardmor , Robertcem , RobertVog , Rodneyvat , RonaldFon , StephenTix , ThomasPlota , TimothyNut , TwoStroke , Vincentabuck , Williamtaf , Williamtat , XRumerTest , Zacharycrelf