Remember Me?
       Join for free!

Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-250 | F-350 SERIES | SUPER DUTY > 1948-1986 Ford F250 | F350

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation Needing advice

I'm looking at buying my first F250. Its a 1986 XLT lariat with a 460 bb. what should i be concerned about. rust is minimum throughout the entire truck other than that. what should i be looking for.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:02 PM

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

Running great IE No miss fires, carb work, ETC. Auto or Manual transmission? 2 or 4 wheel drive? Check wheel bearings, brake pads and rotors, Master Cylinder, Power Booster, rear wheel cylinders.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Auto tranny and 4x4. what about anything that you might not feel when driving or hear when you let run? the ford i drive my dad gave me so this is basically my first truck buying by myself from someone.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:13 PM

Knocking from the engine, tappet knocks are easy fixes but piston rod knocks are a b@#$h, power, that 460 should have a bunch of torque just get ready for 8-10 mpg's... Listen for vacuum hissing sounds, look for oil leaks, got any pics of said truck?
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:15 PM

Tranny should shift mildly unless really romped on, or if it has a shift kit it will shift kinda hard, listen for clunking of the u-joints when you put it in gear, don't test the 4x4 on hard ground or pavement.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:30 PM

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Dont impluse buy - walk away and think about it over night or two. check everything from title to insureance from bumper to bumber, top to bottom. ask a friend with experience to go with you if you aint sure.
Do a engine compression test and check for leaks everywhere.
Check electrical wires, rubber hoses, body fit (do the door, hood, body gaps line up?)
Use a magnet where the glass trim and body come together. lets you know if there is bondo under the paint.
Under the hood look at the inside of the fender. Should be weld marks. if its smooth then it was replaced at some time.
On the test drive go through all the gears shifting manually and automaticlly - listen for noise, gear slop and to your gut feelings.
Check shift points for tranny. a rough 4spd example: 9-18mph, 18-24mph 24-38mph and OD
Check tire wear and steering endplay.
Check fluid levels and how clean it is. recheck after driving.
Tell them you want to take the van to a garage and put it up in the air to look underneath it - if they refuse, walk away. they should never refuse unless they are hiding something or are afraid of you finding something.
Check underneath for frame damage.
Check to see what has been replaced - parts wise. then ask them what has been replaced - make a mental note on the difference of what you see and what you heard them say.
No matter what they offer as sale price - check on value on the internet and compare. then offer way less then minimum listing.
if your set on buying try to stick with least offer. never tell them how much youll offer first. remember they "Need" to "sell" it - you dont "Need" to buy it.
Dont advertise your wallet contents - it tells them how low to go.
Make sure you know what doesnt work! Point out whats wrong to keep the price down. Dont point out whats wrong in one sentance. each time they comment on whats right you add anotehr thats wrong.
When youve made up your mind stick to your lowest offer and spread the cash out on the counter in front of the guys wife. put the hundreds on top and fiftys below then smaller amounts under it all.
Make sure when you spread it out over a large part of the counter so it looks like A REALLY big amount of CASH and you dont say or indicate anything but you notice the wifes eyes light up.
Dont put all your money in one pocket - make it look like you really really dont want to pay more.

IDK - theres just so much you got to look for.

What we leave behind are our words and our deeds. Nothing else really matters.

Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:36 PM

Liked 36 Times in 34 Posts

Hawaiians post speaks for itself

click below to see my FTC Gallery

Don't forget those that came before you! Be proud of who you are and where your from.

“No damn man kills me and lives.” Confederate Lieutenant General, Nathan Bedford Forrest

Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:39 PM

Liked 185 Times in 167 Posts

I really can't add to what Hawaii said above, other than to delete the Van part and add F250
find a good mechanic and if your serious pay him to check it out for you
other than that
look for a good paying job
the 460 will drink gas

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old February 24th, 2012, 04:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for everything. I Bought it and it runs like a champ. only thing is its defiantly a warm blooded animal. i was told i should put in an oil pan heater or an engine block heater. would this be a smart decision or just turn out to be more trouble than what its worth?
I live in north east Indiana. this morning it was 23 degrees and isn't gonna change for a while.
Old February 24th, 2012, 06:46 PM

Liked 185 Times in 167 Posts

put cardboard in front of the radiator
see if that helps keep the temp up

of course this wont help with start ups

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 12
02SuperXLT , 460big_boy , BigBlue79 , Booba5185 , eeskew , HawaiianF150 , JSoko , nine5flareside , roughrider78 , Russo2 , skatebowd , whitesleeper