Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-100 | F-150 SERIES > 1992-1996 Ford F150

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old March 24th, 2010, 04:53 PM

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Arrow Saginaw Power Steering Pump Upgrade

Has anyone ever done the saginaw power steering pump upgrade on their
truck yet? I am very interested in doing this conversion and want to know
all the parts used for this. Thanks for any help and/or advice.

Old March 24th, 2010, 06:05 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Basically use 92 up 5.0 or 351 Serpentine equipped e-van pump ,bracket and hose and belt form van.

I used the newer 94 up van stuff on last one. Am told 302 and 351 will work for either . There is a slight difference in some years so I stick with newer vans .

Or if want new NApa did have a pump that would fit . Part 20-6255 basically install and press on pully . $104

Make sure van has same type air con set up .

I got pump ready to go on. Mine is starting to be noisy.

HA! HA! I'm a supporting member and you're not!

Last edited by Lostin90s; March 24th, 2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old March 24th, 2010, 09:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

whats wrong with the pump you have webby? Mine is pushing 44"s with hydro assist and it worked great without the assist. If it aint broke why fix it?

Monthly Recognition Moderator

Check out my videos HERE

Old March 25th, 2010, 12:21 AM

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

blue thought it was - "if it aint broke, you didnt mess with it long enough"?

Webby

when the the last P/S flush done? Was it an full flow (engine running) flush? only thing i hate about the full flush schema is the fact they use recycled (filtered) fluids. i want fresh new fluids. thing is could the noise be from air in the system or the rack starting to leak past the internal valve seals? Is there a pressure test that can be done to determine for sure its the pump bearings or seals or it is the rack and its seals?

when i had the gmc i flushed all the fluids every other year. one year i would do the engine/radiator and rear end. next year i'd do the power steering and brakes. I'm anal so i altered the trans and radiator in case a leak showed up - id know for some kind of certainity was or wasnt b/c of the flush since the radiator cools the trans. i'd do the windsheild fluid every 5-6 years just to make sure the impellar wasnt gumming up. when i did the tranny and teh fluid was clean i'd stop the flush near the end and swap out filters for a new one and close her up and finish the fill n flush.

Then again she always ran like a top and when i sold her for this truck i figured she had lots and lots of miles left on the old gal. she only had 80k. heck i had just bought her (about 8 months before) a new set of treads and had teh brake rotors resurfaced and pads were only about 25% worn so i just filed them close to flat as i could. thank goodness for a work bench, a decent radio, a stool and a refrig at arms length away.

What we leave behind are our words and our deeds. Nothing else really matters.

Last edited by HawaiianF150; March 25th, 2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old March 25th, 2010, 12:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The stock pumps are pretty tough, ive ran them dry, full of water, and used everything from atf, powersteering fluid and engine oil in them. never wrecked one yet.(have wrecked the plastic case though)
Maybe try changing the fluid out, its cheap. (dont flush it just drain the reservoir and turn the wheels back and forth with engine off, fill and repeat if still dirty) If cost is a issue go buy hydraulic oil its the same thing but cheaper

Monthly Recognition Moderator

Check out my videos HERE

Old March 25th, 2010, 01:11 AM

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

Just a little heads up guys, there is nothing wrong with my pump.

That being said, there is a company that makes killer pulleys for
302 blocks however, they only make their pulley for the saginaw
style pump.

These are the pumps found on mustangs and some vans as well.
Here is some quick info that may interest a few of you out there:

About five or six years ago, Saginaw power steering pumps became a popular swap item with the Early Bronco crowd, many of whom were tired of their stock, noisy Thompson power steering pumps. In addition to being noisy, the stock pumps have a nasty habit of puking fluid and wearing out quickly when used in conjunction with larger tires.

Along with a 5.0 SEFI conversion comes the Ford CII pump. These plastic-reservoired pumps are better than the older Thompson pumps, but their constant whine gets old in a hurry and certainly doesn't give one a strong sense of confidence in their reliability. The pump on the Mustang is designed for a rack and pinion steering system, which apparently operates at a much lower pressure than the recirculating ball systems in the Bronco boxes.

The Saginaw pump conversion for the v-belt 302s is a tried-and-true formula...

Old March 25th, 2010, 08:43 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Problem is most pumps have never been kept up . And r noisy/leaky for all longer it takes is a nice swap .

HA! HA! I'm a supporting member and you're not!

Old March 26th, 2010, 01:29 AM

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Big Tony, Awesome info! i did not know that stuff. awesome tips and tricks you got stored in there. shed more please

What we leave behind are our words and our deeds. Nothing else really matters.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 13
Agjake11 , Bluegoose , cpt7576 , Decker , DJDrover , HiRoller , lanejesse85 , Longbeach4x4 , nine5flareside , Ol Red , Red91 , The Frankster , whitesleeper