Quantcast Teen's beating death puts pressure on officials - Ford Truck Club Forum

Home

Forum

Gallery

Garage

Blog

Arcade

Settings

TOTM

Vote

Remember Me?
       Join for free!

Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > THE LOUNGE > General Discussion

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old September 29th, 2009, 01:46 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Teen's beating death puts pressure on officials

4 charged with first-degree murder in the slaying of a Chicago student

Derrion Albert, a high-school sophomore, was walking to a bus stop when he was attacked by a group of teens.

CHICAGO - Cell phone footage showing a group of teens viciously kicking and striking a 16-year-old honors student with splintered railroad ties has ramped up pressure on Chicago officials to address chronic violence that has led to dozens of deaths of city teens each year.

The graphic video of the afternoon melee emerged on local news stations over the weekend, showing the fatal beating of Derrion Albert, a sophomore honor roll student at Christian Fenger Academy High School. His death was the latest addition to a rising toll: More than 30 students were killed last school year, and the city could exceed that number this year.

Prosecutors charged four teenagers Monday with fatally beating Albert, who was walking to a bus stop when he got caught up in the mob street fighting, authorities said.

The violence stemmed from a shooting early Thursday morning involving two groups of students from different neighborhoods, said Tandra Simonton, a spokeswoman for the Cook County prosecutor's office. When school ended, members of the groups began fighting near the Agape Community Center.

Attack captured on video
During the attack, captured in part on a bystander's cell phone video, Albert is struck on the head by one of several young men wielding wooden planks. After he falls to the ground and appears to try to get up, he is struck again and then kicked. Simonton said Albert was a bystander and not part of either group.

The Rev. Victor Grandberry told NBC Chicago that Albert "was just a nice young man that grew up in the community. Folks just bullied on him, they tried to rob him, they tried to do everything they can."

A camera attached to the Agape Community Center also captured at least part of the attack, the center's executive director, Milton Massie, told NBC Chicago.

"It was mob action, basically a bunch of kids, some coming from the east and others from the west on the street, fighting," he said.

Silvonus Shannon, is being held without bail on charges of first-degree murder in the beating death of 16-year-old Chicago student Derrion Albert.

Prosecutors charged Silvonus Shannon, 19, Eugene Riley, 18, Eric Carson, 16, and Eugene Bailey, 18, with first-degree murder, Simonton said.

Shannon, Riley and Carson were ordered held without bond Monday. The Cook County Public Defender's Office, which represented the three teenagers in court, had no immediate comment. Bailey was due in bond court Tuesday, Simonton said.

Chicago police said they were looking for at least three more suspects, but would not discuss a possible motive for the attack.

Simonton said Albert was knocked unconscious when Carson struck him in the head with a board and a second person punched him in the face. Albert regained consciousness and was trying to get up when he was attacked a second time by five people, struck in the head with a board by Riley and stomped in the head by Shannon, Simonton said.

Desiyan Bacon, Bailey's aunt, said her nephew didn't have anything to do with the beating and was a friend of the victim.

"They need to stop the crime, but when they do it, they need to get the right person," Bacon said.

Escalating tension
Fenger students said Albert's death intensified tensions at the school, with arguments about him breaking out in hallways all day Monday. Several blocks away, a memorial erected on the spot where he was beaten was burned down. Police also increased patrols before and after school and in the neighborhood.

Eugene Riley is charged in the beating death of 16-year-old Chicago student Derrion Albert.

"They're still trying to retaliate," said sophomore Toni Gardner, 15. She did not elaborate.

For Chicago, a sharp rise in violent student deaths during the past three school years — most from shootings off school property — have been a tragedy and an embarrassment.

Before 2006, an average of 10-15 students were fatally shot each year. That climbed to 24 fatal shootings in the 2006-07 school year, 23 deaths and 211 shootings in the 2007-08 school year and 34 deaths and 290 shootings last school year.

At a Monday vigil at the school, some community members said the solution lies with parents.

"It is our problem. We have to take control of our children," said Dawn Allen, who attended the vigil where a group of residents tried to force their way into the school before being turned back by police.

Intervention program
This month, the city announced a $30 million project that targets 1,200 high school pupils identified as most at risk to become victims of gun violence, giving them full-time mentors and part-time jobs to keep them off the streets. Some money also will pay for more security guards and to provide safe passage for students forced to travel through areas with active street gangs.

Albert's family attended a news conference Monday with school district leaders and police, but did not speak. They wore T-shirts with a picture of him in a cap and gown, with the words, "Gone too soon, too young."

But Annette Holt, mother of Blair Holt, a Chicago Public Schools student who was shot on a city bus two years ago, said Albert represented "another promising future, just snuffed out because of violence."

"Someone said he (Derrion) was in the wrong place at the wrong time," she said. "No, he wasn't. He was in the right place. He was coming from school."

msnbc.com

Big T

Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Multi Quote REPLY GOOD POST
Old September 29th, 2009, 08:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

and to think....obama is heading over to speak to the Olympic committee about have the summer games in Chicago....yeah....lets hold them in a place that this sort of shit happens....smart!

also....if he was a sophmore....why is he pictured in a cap and gown??? that kinda threw me off.

hope those aholes that beat the kid get the shit beat outta them in prison
Old September 29th, 2009, 12:33 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

middle school graduation maybe?

Olymp..., summer games?....WTF?......I'm speechless!

and finally, PRISON? I don't think we should be wasting our taxdollars in that way. Ammo is not cheap anymore, but a firing squad is cheaper than a lifetime of cable TV, 3 hots and a cot, and all the appeals you can file!

Big T

Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Old September 29th, 2009, 01:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah...that was the big topic on Good Morning America this morning when I was leaving....meanwhile the real news was scrolling across the ticker at the bottom....pissed me off
Old September 29th, 2009, 01:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ya, but he'll get a cell mate named Bubba!

BATES

"If you see this in your rear view mirror.........MOVE!"
Banks & PHP Powered
4wheels are for guys who can't drive with 2

Old September 29th, 2009, 01:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

and i like the firing squad idea.....we really should look at bringing that or hanging back....much cheaper for everyone
Old September 29th, 2009, 01:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That happens everywhere Matt not just Chicago. I say if its good enough for China its good enough for Oakland.
And good eye that cap and gown did throw me off
Old September 29th, 2009, 01:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

violence happens everywhere.....but student deaths such as these ones??? not really. there is something seriously wrong going on there in chicago. I know the Oakland area of Pittsburgh can be pretty shady....which is why i avoid it at night and only go there during the day if i really can't avoid it.

as much as I'm sure i'll get shit for saying this....and honestly i don't care....violence like this has an obvious link to being a prodominately black neighborhood. The area that my mom grew up and I spent summers at my grandparents house is a prime example. It was a really well kept, nice neighborhood. I was recently back in that area and now it looks like a rundown slum. It was surprising to see what had happened to the area. People have bars on their windows. The neighborhood is now a predominately black neighborhood unlike when my mom grew up there and when I was there. Sure, this might be a stereotype....but it's the truth that violence and rundown neighborhoods typically go hand in hand with the majority of the residents being black. It's a real shame that is the way it is too.
Old September 29th, 2009, 01:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i'm guessing that might be a middle school graduation picture

although when i advanced from middle to high school....we didn't have a ceremony....no point.
Old September 29th, 2009, 01:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Chicago slums are no different than any other city in the nation. Take Baltimore for instance makes Chicago look great doesnt it. The reason people are starting to have a problem with Chicago is because Obama came from there. There it is I said it.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 1
arabella