Quantcast Woozy from wifi? ‘Electrosensitive’ say modern life makes them ill - Ford Truck Club Forum

Home

Forum

Gallery

Garage

Blog

Arcade

Settings

TOTM

Vote

Remember Me?
       Join for free!

Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > THE LOUNGE > General Discussion

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old May 31st, 2011, 12:13 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Arrow Woozy from wifi? ‘Electrosensitive’ say modern life makes them ill

In remote forest of Sweden, couple escapes electromagnetic waves

Swedish couple Bo and Sonja Fredburg say that they suffer discomfort from electromagnetic waves. Ten years ago, they moved to Varmland, a beautiful stretch of Swedish forests and frozen lakes, beyond the reach of any cellular tower or wireless signal.

Much of modern life — the buzzing of cell phones, the humming of laptops, the ubiquity of wifi — is enough to give anyone a headache. But what if electromagnetic waves really did make you sick?

For people who call themselves "electrosensitive," life in our plugged-in world is becoming increasingly unbearable. As they define it, electrosensitivity syndrome is characterized by headaches, rashes, nausea, fatigue and even fainting when sufferers come too close to electromagnetic radiation.

Although electrosensitivity is not recognized as a medical diagnosis, it's a condition those in Europe are especially concerned about — in fact, earlier this month, leaders from the Council of Europe pushed to ban cell phones and wifi in schools, the Telegraph reported.

Most people who complain of electrosensitivity are only mildly bothered by electromagnetic waves, but some say the health effects are so severe that they're unable to live comfortably in a city.

To find more about the extreme end of this condition, TODAY took to the remote forests of Sweden, a country that recognizes electrosensitivity as a functional impairment.

That's where Bo and Sonja Fredburg live — in Varmland, a beautiful stretch of Swedish forests and frozen lakes, a refuge for a band of electrosenstive fugitives, beyond the reach of any cellular tower or wireless signal. The Fredburgs have been living without electricity — no TV, no radio, no refrigerator, no electric lights — for 10 years. The Fredburgs' only gadget is a 50-year-old telephone.

Susanne Jislon says wifi triggers her electrosensitivity symptoms. Here, she uses an old-fashioned typewriter in her home in the remote forests of Sweden.

When visited by the TODAY team, the Fredburgs insisted the reporters remove the batteries from their cell phones and abandon the hi-definition camera they'd normally use. Instead, the team shot the segment with a 20-year-old VHS camera, which the Fredburgs say causes them less discomfort.

The couple said they immediately felt the health effects when the camera crew entered their home. "I get sort of shaky, and the heart gets effected," says Bo Fredburg. For Sonja Fredburg, "The most prominent thing is the burning sensation in the skin," she explains.

Susanne Jislson, a neighbor of the Fredburgs' who has lived in this remote area in Sweden for seven years, developed a rash on her neck midway through an interview with the TODAY team, something she says was caused by the camera's presence. Her only gizmo: an old-fashioned typewriter. Jislson believes that wifi triggered her symptoms. "I get headaches; I get really confused. I can't think straight. I get extremely tired," she says. "I was a very healthy person before I got these problems."

Still, many psychologists and neurologists believe that electrosensitivity symptoms are all in the mind. Elaine Fox, a psychology professor at the University of Essex, has studied people in the UK who believe they have the condition. She and her team wanted to see whether electrosensitive people could tell if a hidden cell phone antenna was turned on or off, using 50-minute exposure tests.

"What we found, overall, was actually that people couldn't tell above chance, so they were really ... just guessing, in terms of whether it was on or off," Fox told TODAY.

But some experts, like neuroscientist Olle Johansson of the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden, contend that people like the Fredburgs aren't imagining their condition. Johansson investigates the health effects of electromagnetic fields on the body, and he told TODAY that he believes the long-term effects of exposure to electromagnetic radiation is worrisome.

"The long-term effects points to an association to things like brain cancer, leukemia, neurological diseases," Johansson says.

Back in the secluded Swedish forest, the monthly book bus provides a link to the outside world, and a chance for the electrosensitive to socialize with each other before retreating to their homes, where forests and frozen lakes serve as a stunning backdrop.

As Bo Fredburg describes their isolated existence, "It is a prison, but a beautiful prison."

By Melissa Dahl Health writer
TODAY.com
MSNBC Interactive.

<hr>Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.<hr>

Big T

Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Old May 31st, 2011, 01:03 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I had read and posted a couple write ups on this on FB....long story short, there are schools over seas that refuse to install wifi and others have turned it off due to kids complaining of being tired, hard to think, headaches and just not feeling well. The symptoms would subside over the weekend, then return again while at school. I had read into this before the kid got a used laptop from a relative for Christmas and before hooking up the Wii online.....It is radiation plain and simple.

HA! HA! I'm a supporting member and you're not!

Old May 31st, 2011, 02:48 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

@Big T's post:
Well... here's a way to find out if it's the mind or real... Pop them with an EMP. If they're so sensitive... well, the EMP would prove to be disastrous. OK, maybe I'm being a bit... gruesome here, but that'd be one heck of a research project. Besides, you wouldn't konw you were hit by an EMP, especially if you don't live around electricity. Maybe use a low power EMP... so you don't "accidentally" kill your, um, "lab rats".

@ Scott's Post
Wasn't there a study on the effects of certain lighting causing the same issues in people? I dunno. My worthless 2 cents.

Double(. Y .)Dee
SSG, TXARNG
OIF III ('05) & OIF VIII ('10)
Least knowledgeable when it comes to the whirly, spinny things.

How To Use The FTC Gallery
Check out the Truck of the Month forum and vote!
2004-2008 F-150 Specific How To's:
VIN Decoder
Gotts Mod - 4.6L (5.4L similar)
Big 3 Upgrade
Seat Removal
Interior Door Disassembly SCrew (RCab/SCab similar)
Interior Trim/Carpet Removal

"Fighting is not handing out cookies, it's gunfire and rockets, and there will be casualties." - Haji Khalifa Mohammad Shah
Old May 31st, 2011, 09:55 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDee View Post
@Big T's post:
Well... here's a way to find out if it's the mind or real... Pop them with an EMP. If they're so sensitive... well, the EMP would prove to be disastrous. OK, maybe I'm being a bit... gruesome here, but that'd be one heck of a research project. Besides, you wouldn't konw you were hit by an EMP, especially if you don't live around electricity. Maybe use a low power EMP... so you don't "accidentally" kill your, um, "lab rats".

@ Scott's Post
Wasn't there a study on the effects of certain lighting causing the same issues in people? I dunno. My worthless 2 cents.
The EMP experiment has its merits and i have no objections to it.....
and i think you're right about the light issue, something to do with the ballasts in the fluorescent lights I think....

Big T

Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Old June 1st, 2011, 04:41 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDee View Post
@ Scott's Post
Yes there was, the compact flourescent bulbs I believe. I do know someone who complains about being around them. A big problem now is how to properly dispose of these latest and greatest bulbs...apparently they have Mercury in them.

HA! HA! I'm a supporting member and you're not!

Last edited by Scotts Black FX4; June 1st, 2011 at 04:47 AM.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 4
BigT67 , DoubleDee , JSoko , Scotts Black FX4