Vote

Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Log Out

Ford Truck Club Forum > GARAGE TALK > Garage Talk: Engine & Drivetrain

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old February 7th, 2011, 11:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Finding a 302 block

I am going to get a 302 block to start a new build, but i have never done this and am starting my first one. My first question is, can I use any 302 short block, or do I need to look for a specific code, ect. Its gonna be for a 1995 F150., and i want to make sure I start with the right block.
Old February 7th, 2011, 04:12 PM

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

Summit Racing has 302 blocks that are prepped for stroker kits for like 700 bucks. That would be where I would start. I assume you are keeping it fuel injected?

Old February 7th, 2011, 06:10 PM

Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts

heres the link for the 302 from summit:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-150110/

i personally would keep a 1995 or newer block if your keeping the EFI... im slowly working on my old 302 that used to be in my truck, building it to a 347 stroker, dont know what im gonna put it in, just nice to have a spare motor laying around

Aaron

'95 F150 XLT, reg cab long bed, swapped 351w,
4.56 gears, 4-link SAS, 14" coil overs.

SAS Thread!!!

'04 F250 Lariat, crew cab short bed 4x4 6.0L PSD, 3.73 gears, straight piped,
sinister coolant filter, welded egr, CAT EC-1 coolant, blue spring.
60 gallon fuel tank/tool box, SCT X4 w/IDP custom tunes, SOON TO BE STUDDED!!

a bunch of boats

Last edited by ASwaff400; February 7th, 2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old February 7th, 2011, 06:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I really didnt want to dig in that much, really like how nine did his rebuild. I was thinking about getting an old block, getting it machined and a stand, and then just bit by bit buying parts and pieces over the next year or so. But again, can i just get any 302 short block, or is there a specific difference between a 95 f150 302 and lets say a 2004 ford 302 or whatever?
Old February 7th, 2011, 07:49 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default 302

302 long block or short block asm nothing older than 1994 do to from 93 and newer 302 have ROLLER lifters . the 93 had a few problems . to save your self time and add parts down the road i would look for a complete engine from a 96-97 ford exploder it will have the GT40P heads . In my point of view the best factory heads that FORD made however you will have to buy a set of headers And do a slight mod to the headers . nothing more than heating a few runners to clear the spark plugs and the wires . check around for a used set of 1.6 roller rockers to go with the rebuild . Hell you could get lucky and find a used engine for around 400 bills with less than 50.000 miles and if all is good polish the crank hone the cylinders and a must have the rotating assm balanced . And if your truck is not MAF you could get some of the stuff from the exploder . More on MAF at a later date So in a nut shell you have a starting point good luck
Old February 8th, 2011, 09:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanx White, i do wanna add, that I am looking to increrase HP, but would like to stay under 400 HP, I guess in a nut shell, I'd like to complete the project over 12 months, and stay within a budget of $3000 (parts and machine work), I am interested in Nine's rebuild project and curious to see more build info and cost associated with it.
Old February 9th, 2011, 11:11 AM

Liked 188 Times in 170 Posts
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASwaff400 View Post
heres the link for the 302 from summit:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-150110/

i personally would keep a 1995 or newer block if your keeping the EFI... im slowly working on my old 302 that used to be in my truck, building it to a 347 stroker, dont know what im gonna put it in, just nice to have a spare motor laying around
Aaron, stay away from the 347 the oil ring is at the bottom of the piston skirt and can cause trouble in a daily driver, but is great for a race engine that you tear down often
go with a 331 for best overall performance & the 331 does great with a super charger

you can find much info on a 331 build on line, its the way to go for a 302

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old February 9th, 2011, 12:59 PM

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVannatta View Post
I really didnt want to dig in that much, really like how nine did his rebuild. I was thinking about getting an old block, getting it machined and a stand, and then just bit by bit buying parts and pieces over the next year or so. But again, can i just get any 302 short block, or is there a specific difference between a 95 f150 302 and lets say a 2004 ford 302 or whatever?
Thank you. Good machine work on a block can be costly, that is why I suggested the Summit Racing block, its already machined! Other than my cam, the bottom end of my block is stock. If I had the chance to go back in time, I would have beefed up my bottom end instead of spending money on the aftermarket manifold, plenum, alternator, pulleys, etc. A solid bottom end and good heads is my suggestion if you are on a budget.

But first you need to figure out exactly what you are building your engine for. Will it be something driven locally where the bottom end is more important (and fun) basically when the light turns green you want to be able to take off on people and peel out (torque) or are you looking to maybe floor it on the highway and have an insane top end?

Most of my driving is local and because I installed an e 303 cam, the truck doesnt perform well at all. The cam makes power in a certian RPM range that is reached basically when the pedal is floored but for local driving I never am in that RPM range. Something to think about when choosing a cam.

If you are looking for a 302 that will put out 400 plus HP to the rear wheels, it wont be cheap for the average person. I say take your time, save your money and go all out... even if it takes a few years.

A good engine is only half the battle! Dont forget about a good trans and torque converter (if its going to be automatic). Then regearing is also important.

Superchargers are fun also!

Old February 9th, 2011, 04:57 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

get a 302 out of a 96 explorer. it has the GT40 heads, 97 and after have Gt40P heads. heres a pretty basic setup to get around 325 horses and 375 Ft. LB's... give or take a few

PARTS INSTEAD:

REBUILD KIT: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEM-MHP174-311/ WAIT TILL ALL MACHINE WORK IS DONE BEFORE YOU BUY A KIT!!!
INTAKE:http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-3841/
HEADS: stock GT40 just get them rebuilt
INJECTORS: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACC-150824/
CAM: get a custom ground cam... dont get some POS Off the shelf cam... and since its going into a truck dont get a b303 or e303 cam horrible choices for a truck engine.. the cam is one of the most important parts...
cost other than machine work..

Rebuild Kit: $340
Intake: $590
Heads: cost to have them rebuilt? depends on shop..
Injectors $270
Cam: typical custom ground cam $350
Couple of other odd pieces: (lifters, fluids rocker arms) $500

$2050 DOLLARS PENDING MACHINE WORK And Cam (THIS IS DOING ALL THE WORK YOURSELF)

Last edited by nflfreak43; February 9th, 2011 at 05:01 PM.