Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > GARAGE TALK > Garage Talk: Paint & Detailing

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old March 28th, 2010, 10:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Rear End Service

So I talked to my service advisor when I went to pick up my truck from getting it aligned Friday. I asked him how much it was to get my rear pumpkin flushed and filled and he said it was $140, I said why so much? He said the 05 year used 100% synthetic in the rear diff plus you gotta add the friction modifier for the Limited Slip clutches. I asked about the Royal Purple Max Gear he said its good but customers are complaining of rear end chatter when using it, since it advertises you dont have to use friction modifier in it. SO he suggested I use the motorcraft + the friction modifier.

Now my question is should I pay them $140 to do it, or should I just do it my self? How hard could it be? I dont have a torque wrench so thats my main cause for wanting them to do it. My baby has 120K miles on the clock, so its getting time.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Alex

Old March 29th, 2010, 01:58 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Up to you which fluid you use .I have had same problem on couple truck with the purple .

Its a easy job with basic a hand tools . Nice weekend let her drain and detail it under there while wait.

HA! HA! I'm a supporting member and you're not!

Old March 29th, 2010, 02:10 PM

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

Alex, go into the MOTORZ TV section and look for the video he did on changing your rear differential fluid in a Ford f150 truck. The job is so easy to do. Good luck.

Old March 29th, 2010, 02:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Webby. Ill check it out. My other concern is getting it sealed properly without leaks.

Alex

Old March 29th, 2010, 02:58 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Even if the gear fluid says that it has friction modifier in it you still have to add it. Thats why the guy is being to that people are getting "chatter" I ran RP on mine and never had any "chatter" but also added the friction modifier.

I stopped using RP cause it was too expensive to change, everytime I go offroad my diffs get drained and new fluid goes in.

Have you donated to FordTruckClub.net yet? I have!

Old March 30th, 2010, 02:53 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Lilbit I suggest u bring your truck to me for some rear-end service as well...iam sure your "bumper" could use a fresh shine.

Old March 30th, 2010, 08:27 AM

Liked 185 Times in 167 Posts

shameful Scott,
Alex,you dont need no stinken torque wrench
let the fluid leak out before you drop the cover
get a new gasket and use the Permatex Black Sealer it is compatiable with/for oil/oily conditions
some times the fill bolt is a bear to take off, so get it loose before you un-bolt
they do make a suction gun looks like a grease gun with a crooked metal tube on one end and you can attach a hose to reach to the bottom
I use them to drain 4&3 speed trannys, helps keep the mess down
use the proper lube and modifier

from past experience, the way to a no leak/drip install is preperation, preperation
clean both surfaces well, I use brake cleaner on a rag (dries instantly) use the black sealer and a new gasket
a new cool cover will run about $100

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Last edited by JSoko; March 31st, 2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:35 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hmmm maybe give the idea of upgrading your diff covers to a Magtech or another manufacturer...I def like the look over stock, plus u get the benefits of being able to check your fluid and replace it without having to take it apart. Have to weigh the pro's and cons on that one, there not cheap.