Quantcast Cordless Drills and Impacts - What Do You Use - Page 2 - Ford Truck Club Forum

Home

Forum

Gallery

Garage

Blog

Arcade

Settings

TOTM

Vote

Remember Me?
       Join for free!

Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > GARAGE TALK > Garage Talk: The Tool Depot™

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old March 12th, 2012, 08:02 PM

Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts

True...... I priced a new 3/8 today and it was $397. That was impact, battery and charger. Like I said .....if you seldom use them the cheaper brands are great. I do use mine for a living...I have to have dependable stuff.

I just rolled a set of DS 404's under another new truck. Should be able to have this one completed by end of month and get back to work on another one yet again!

Lowriders are for guys who can't get it up!
Sissy's drive 2wd's! (you know who you are!!)

Black Sheep of FTC
Old March 12th, 2012, 09:21 PM

Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts

I'm not gonna lie, I would love a job like that.
But job security for the future scares the crap outta me.

1990 F150XLTLariat. 300I6. ZF. BDS. 36x16.5x15FC. SAS under construction.

How to: FTC Gallery.

How to: Brick steering column.
How to: Wiper motor removal.
Shop Class 101.
Door Tag Codes.
Old March 13th, 2012, 02:16 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I use dewalt, pretty reliable for the money. My brother buys Makita, I use his tools when they're around :P

built and blueprinted Lightning powerplant with p&p heads, race built 4r70w by Darrin @ BC-Automotive
1-Ton swap Dyno 436/475
Transmission saga. avoid www.Engineworldusa.com, junk import motors.

Old March 13th, 2012, 11:24 AM

Liked 188 Times in 170 Posts

neighbor has a cordless impact that will take the bolts off the tractor tires, its awesome
its about 1 1/2 times bigger than a regular cordless

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old March 13th, 2012, 06:20 PM

Russo: Job security for the future?? I have PLENTY of job security. Good diesel mechanics are in high demand. Transportation is one of the top 5 ranked secure jobs in the US. I think it fell into #3 but Im gonna say top 5. There isnt an engine out there that I cant tear down to bare block and put it back in.

The diesel schools......dont waste your time. Hands on experience to me is so much better. Anyone can have a piece of paper saying they went to school but that dont mean they can do the work correctly. I deal with 2 of those guys daily. I work circles around them and usually end up going back fixing their mistakes

Black Sheep of FTC
Old March 13th, 2012, 06:58 PM

maybe if time permits, they need you as a mentor CAT

as you stated "job security" could be a number of jobs
In my spare time I run a Mechanical & Plumbing business for the wife; security = people want to have, cooling & heating in the work/home enviroment and people that eat have to have water for cleaning & flushing thus the Plumber prevails (X-Ray processors, Dialisis machines &...all need water, you get the idea)
the Medical Gas business is not doing so good as the forced corporate choking of the budget since 2008 still has a strangle hold on spending of money forcing many Hospitals & Surgery Center to apply 'band-aids' as opposed to up-grades to their existing system

and we do use cordless tools too

Old March 14th, 2012, 08:09 PM

They dont need "mentors"......they need to get their heads out of their asses and learn what it takes. They wanna take short cuts on removing parts. They figure if they can squeeze and pry something off instead of removing 1 lil thing to make their job easier and less stressful. Then they end up breaking something and have to take it off anyhow. You get the idea! LOL.....young folk!

Oh yeah......i use cordless tools too! HAHA

Black Sheep of FTC
Old March 14th, 2012, 09:43 PM

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Seems all the brands have good n bad.

Like the man said ' you get what you pay for'. What I do ain't for a livelyhood to feed the family nor do I want some cheap fly by night walmart special.

I was redoing the electrical wiring in the garage and my Makita being used and abused for the last few years was on it's last leg. Really 15 minutes on a 3Ah battery WTF over..

Time for a new man-tool!!

I got the Milwaukee 2697-22 18v impact drill/driver and impact set. Came with charger and two 18v Red Lithium Ion batteries. These new batteries are sweet. 40% better power management with individual battery cell monitoring. What's friggen next?

What i got was the Milwaukee 2697-22 18v impact drill/driver and impact set below and on page 10 of link http://www.slimspowertools.com/hawai...thly_flyer.pdf

1/2" impact drill/driver - model 2602-20 (550inlb)
1/4" impact wrench - model 2650-20 (1440inlb)
Charger - model 2710-20
RedLiIon batteries (two) (3.0Ah ) - model 48-11-1815

It was on sale for $299. I got it for $199 cuz I had to agree to bring back my old Makita LXT impact drill next time I came in the shop. Also picked up the 22pc shockwave and drill bit set for $10 each. Always need extra drill and screwdriver bits. They only wanted the drill body. From my old Makita set I kept my impact, two 3.0Ah batteries and the charger. They didn't want them. Only wanted the drill driver body to send back to Milwaukee for thier store credit promotion deal thingy whatever - don't care - from my eyes, it's a done deal.

I really wanted the new 'FUEL' brushless technology. The Milwaukee M18 Fuel model 2604-22CT (725inlb) but it won't hit the shelves until April (seems batteries and planes are a no-no) over here and the impact drill alone cost as much as this set.

Cheapest I seen was - $299 at Slims and Home Depot b/c they price match anyone else and at Grainger it was $369.

E-Bay lists it but it wont hit the shelves till mid month and then you still gotta deal with S/H costs. E-Bay has a Vendor list but everyone of those that listed 'in stock' either wont ship to Hawaii or is waiting for inbound shipment.

What we leave behind are our words and our deeds. Nothing else really matters.

Last edited by HawaiianF150; March 14th, 2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old March 16th, 2012, 11:52 AM

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Did the topic die b/c someone got a new tool? wtf?

What we leave behind are our words and our deeds. Nothing else really matters.

Old March 16th, 2012, 02:09 PM

no, I guess we used up all the cordless info we know