Vote

Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Log Out

Ford Truck Club Forum > GARAGE TALK > Garage Talk: The Tool Depot™

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:13 AM

Liked 188 Times in 170 Posts
Question Useing a Torque Wrench

How to Use a Torque Wrench

A torque wrench prevents the common over-tightening problem
Buy and use a torque wrench to prevent common over-tightening problems and avoid expensive fixes later.

Advantages of a torque wrench
Torque wrench setting
Adjust the torque wrench to the manufacturer listed setting.

You may think you don’t need a torque wrench to install spark plugs or work on your lawn and garden equipment. But studies show that most DIYers overtighten just about everything. And overtightening leads to broken bolts, stripped threads and damaged equipment.

With a torque wrench and the manufacturer’s torque value in hand, the problem is solved: A “clicker” torque wrench makes an audible click when you’ve reached the set torque, and with a “beam”-style wrench, you just watch the scale and stop at the right number.

Torque Wrench Use and Care Tips
Tighten fasteners in two steps—first to half torque and then to final torque.

Clean dirty or rusted threads before tightening, but don’t lubricate them unless instructed to by the equipment manufacturer.

Always dial the wrench back to zero (never below zero) when you’re done with it.

Never use your torque wrench as a breaker bar—that’ll damage the torque mechanism.

Carry it with kid gloves—a single fall can knock the accuracy off by as much as 30 percent. If you do drop it, get it recalibrated (calibration firms listed below) before using it again.

Torque wrench calibration services
anglerepair.com. (304) 253-5729
delegardtool.com. (800) 328-2897
microprecision.com. (530) 268-1860
teamtorque.com. (888) 682-8675

Cat, uses torque wrenches bigger than a baseball bat, and watch for quality - NOT ALL TORQUE WRENCHES ARE MADE THE SAME
and he can really dive in with more info, some of the nut & bolt diameters he deals with are bigger than a softball

I remember him telling me that if you use extensions between the socket & wrench the torque value changes, so keep this in mind the next time you slip on an extension.

16 Cylinder Cummins this powers the emergency generator at one of the local hospitals, those twin turbos on top are about 22" across
when this thing fires up ya gotta plug your ears due to the high pitch whine

Big Torque Wrench used on this baby

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Last edited by JSoko; August 22nd, 2012 at 09:29 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post:
catmechanic07 (August 22nd, 2012)
Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:30 PM

Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts

How do I post a pic on a single post like you did the above? Sheesh.....

I always have to resort to my Snap-On and now Mac torque wrenches. They are the best on the market by far. I have a 1/2" drive Mac that is 26" long, torque range from 50ftlb-250ftlb +/- .05, and is a clicker type. The longer the wrench.....the better just like a longer ratchet gives you more torque to remove something. I use that one to torque head bolts on Cummins, Detroits, and Cats. Cummins for instance torques to 220ftlb and then a 90 degree turn torque. 220 ftlb may not sound like much but it is a REALLY good pull! Detroit 60 Series has ( I think) 38 head bolts that has to be torqued in sequence 2x. Cat main cap bearings torque to 325ftlb then 90 degrees. Usually a 3/4 drive impact has to be used to finish the turn torque.

Here is the info on an extension: You can use an extension but try to keep it less than 6". Once you go past 6", the extension starts to twist. In theory, try removing your lugnuts with a 3/8 drive impact with a 6" extension. May do it but its vibrating bad, now try it with just the gun and a socket.....much easier and less vibration. Same thing goes for a torque wrench. The +/- variance in the wrench will give you enough play to cover for the 6" extension twisting. Another thing to remember is that impact extensions twist more than chrome extensions.

Brands: Yes....Snap-On, Mac, Matco are the best! Buy one from Harbor Freight, Advance Auto, ect......You may have stripped bolts and major repairs due to them not being "true". Its a rule of thumb to have your torque wrench calibrated every 2 years or sooner if you drop them. Also, If you leave one locked in a specific setting for more than 2 hours, unlock it and let it sit on a flat surface for no less than 2 hours. Leaving one locked for long periods of time will stretch the springs inside it and not give a true torque.

There are many types of torque wrenches. You have anything from 1/4" drive-1" drive, torque multipliers, clickers, beam, and now there are digital wrenches. The digital makes an audible beep and vibrates when the set torque is reached. You have some types that have a twist handle and some have just a flip tab to lock the setting. As Joey stated: ALWAYS set the dial back to zero and never below. If its a flip lock, some say to lock the flip back but I never do because why wouldnt that be keeping a certain amount of pressure against the internal springs? Right? The twist handle wrenches either lock when you release the handle or they have a manual lock.

Anything else??? Hmmmmmmm!

Lowriders are for guys who can't get it up!
Sissy's drive 2wd's! (you know who you are!!)

Black Sheep of FTC
Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:15 PM

Liked 188 Times in 170 Posts

How do I post a pic on a single post like you did the above? Sheesh.....

add a pic to your album/gallery
click on the pic
than click on the img box below and cut then paste tp your post

as easy as useing a torque wrench

you've done it before

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.