Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > THE LOUNGE > General Discussion

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old December 1st, 2017, 06:14 AM

Liked 166 Times in 148 Posts
Default Hunting Tip for Today the 'Dead Zone'

I was Bow hunting and I shot a Deer yesterday morning, it drop like a rock (made a high shoulder hit, must have been close to the spine). Then it started kicking trying to get up, then it went still.
I was waiting about 10 minutes for the other deer to show themselves, then all of a sudden that Deer got up and ran off like it had never been hit. My gut sunk as I watched it run through the pines.

I followed a very faint blood trail for 500 yards, I came upon the Deer and when it seen me it took off, I could not get a shot off.
I continued the search down to the corn field and seen the deer run across onto the Timber Company property.
I walked home with my head hung low, I had a sick feeling all day.

So, this is the second time this has happened in 30 years.
There is an area between the spine and lungs that's called the 'dead zone' an arrow can pass through this area and not kill the animal; if the spine is touched it can paralyze the Deer.
see this > https://www.google.com/search?ei=CEY....0.Pm_zko4Gf_0

My advice is - if you hit a Deer and it drops and then starts moving or kicking, shoot it again or get to it immediately and slit it's throat.

I still feel sick over loosing that Deer, it probably suffered all night and will probably die today or be attacked by Coyotes.

I'm proficient enough with a Bow that I can shoot an apple off your head at 40 yards
but in the woods not all shots are easy, you sometimes have to contort your body to make a shot
and if all things are not lined up perfect the arrow will be off

I use a small rifle when hunting in a tree, my 2 favorites are the Remington model SEVEN .308 and the model SEVEN youth 7mm08
a short length of pull makes for easy alignment when you have to twist or bend when shooting

the only good thing about yesterday is that I seen the Bucks are chasing Does

I'll be using my rifle the rest of the season
cold front moving in and the barometer is changing, the Deer should be moving

A Hunters responsibility is to dispatch Game quickly and to eliminate any suffering

here is the area of the 'Dead Zone'

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

The Following User Likes This Post:
harrison28 (December 1st, 2017)
Old December 1st, 2017, 09:59 AM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Hate to hear that the scavengers are gonna get to enjoy YOUR hard work. Better luck next time I guess.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 12
ASwaff400 , catmechanic07 , Dự án mới , glc , global2017 , hangbepchien , harrison28 , JSoko , Klitch , koyham123456 , lalakien213 , skatebowd