Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > GARAGE TALK > Garage Talk: Solid Axle Swaps

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old March 17th, 2011, 10:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default sas question

I have a 2000 F150 4x4 ext cab. It has some rust. I also just got a 99 F150 4x2 ext cab. I was to put the solid body with my drive train. I want to put a 79 dana 44 under it. I am looking for info on putting it under it. I am going to use coil spring and am trying to figure out which would be easier and better to use. The 4x2 or 4x4 frame. has anyone on here done or know someone who has done a sas on a 2 or 4 wheel drive frame useing coils.
Old March 17th, 2011, 11:50 PM

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default S a s

I believe KLITCH can help you

Klitch .....................

you might look i think he has a thread on doing his truck
Old March 18th, 2011, 12:51 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Klitch did a leaf spring SAS. ASwaff400 is in the process (almost complete) of installing a SAS on a '95 4x2... 4 link front with coil overs.... holy crap I didn't think that was possible, but after reading his post... wow!

Dixie Fix, Old Blue, Klitch, ASwaff400, and The LI Redneck look like the ones you need to hit up for questions about the SAS.

Double(. Y .)Dee
SSG, TXARNG
OIF III ('05) & OIF VIII ('10)
Least knowledgeable when it comes to the whirly, spinny things.

How To Use The FTC Gallery
Check out the Truck of the Month forum and vote!
2004-2008 F-150 Specific How To's:
VIN Decoder
Gotts Mod - 4.6L (5.4L similar)
Big 3 Upgrade
Seat Removal
Interior Door Disassembly SCrew (RCab/SCab similar)
Interior Trim/Carpet Removal

"Fighting is not handing out cookies, it's gunfire and rockets, and there will be casualties." - Haji Khalifa Mohammad Shah

Last edited by DoubleDee; March 18th, 2011 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Found more info to add
Old March 18th, 2011, 02:06 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

As far as suspension, in deciding on which truck to jump for, to do a live axle under. The 4x2 may be the better route to start with, if you can use the stock spring bucket, obviously many things in your build choices will play a factor here. You may find yourself wanting more travel than you can get from trying to utilize OEM coil buckets, personally haven't seen anyone with a 97-03 2wd do the sas trick.

Then you must decide, is it worth your time to fabricate a divorce t-case and shafts for the 2wd on top of the suspension modification.

I can attest to one thing for certain with the 4x4 truck. You will be hacking damn near everything off the front of the truck in the name of clearance.

Btw, why only a D44?

built and blueprinted Lightning powerplant with p&p heads, race built 4r70w by Darrin @ BC-Automotive
1-Ton swap Dyno 436/475
Transmission saga. avoid www.Engineworldusa.com, junk import motors.

Old March 18th, 2011, 05:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klitch View Post
As far as suspension, in deciding on which truck to jump for, to do a live axle under. The 4x2 may be the better route to start with, if you can use the stock spring bucket, obviously many things in your build choices will play a factor here. You may find yourself wanting more travel than you can get from trying to utilize OEM coil buckets, personally haven't seen anyone with a 97-03 2wd do the sas trick.

Then you must decide, is it worth your time to fabricate a divorce t-case and shafts for the 2wd on top of the suspension modification.

I can attest to one thing for certain with the 4x4 truck. You will be hacking damn near everything off the front of the truck in the name of clearance.

Btw, why only a D44?

well the coil buckets on the 4x2 are aout 40" apart. the coil seats on the 44 are 43. the coils in the 4x2 also go at a slant so the higher ig the further apart they get. then there is the big crossmember hanging down there. i want to lift it but not too high and i might have to go high than i want to clear that crossmember. from what i can see the 4x4 frame is fairly flat and should be easy to bolt the 79 coil buckets to.

the 4x2 has a blown trans. I am either putting that solid body on mine or my engine and trans in it. so no divorced case.

why only a 44 it is my DD. i have 1 or 2 laying around. it dont really need the strength of a 60. I have the sploder for wheelin and the 60 is going in the next trai rig i build.
Old March 18th, 2011, 02:03 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I had to do 8" total lift to clear the frame rails, and the lower portion of the motor mounts where the rear a-arm mount use to be. Need more grinding there actually. I cleared the big front crossmember that is just below the steering box, so I opt to leave it.

Coil bucket: You're probably going to decide to weld it, boxed frame after all and she isn't very thick.

built and blueprinted Lightning powerplant with p&p heads, race built 4r70w by Darrin @ BC-Automotive
1-Ton swap Dyno 436/475
Transmission saga. avoid www.Engineworldusa.com, junk import motors.

Old March 18th, 2011, 05:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yea i meant weld just said bolt. the 4x2 has a big crossmember under the motor that hangs below the frame rails.
Old March 18th, 2011, 08:46 PM

Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDee View Post
Klitch did a leaf spring SAS. ASwaff400 is in the process (almost complete) of installing a SAS on a '95 4x2... 4 link front with coil overs.... holy crap I didn't think that was possible, but after reading his post... wow!

Dixie Fix, Old Blue, Klitch, ASwaff400, and The LI Redneck look like the ones you need to hit up for questions about the SAS.
the front i'd say is about 75% done, well for the fabrication and adjustments, just waitin on a bunch more parts and gotta finish weld everything... and so far all my measurements show ill have about the same amount of lift as i currently have...

i dont think farm boy fab is making anything yet, you could shop Poly Performance, Ballistic Fabrication, Blue Torch Fabrication, etc. for brackets and what not to get an idea of what you may need... i order stuff from those places quite often, good customer service... also, find a metal or some kind of fab shop in your area and become good friends with them... it will save you money

and if ya get stuck on a though, thats what we're here for!

Aaron

'95 F150 XLT, reg cab long bed, swapped 351w,
4.56 gears, 4-link SAS, 14" coil overs.

SAS Thread!!!

'04 F250 Lariat, crew cab short bed 4x4 6.0L PSD, 3.73 gears, straight piped,
sinister coolant filter, welded egr, CAT EC-1 coolant, blue spring.
60 gallon fuel tank/tool box, SCT X4 w/IDP custom tunes, SOON TO BE STUDDED!!

a bunch of boats

Last edited by ASwaff400; March 18th, 2011 at 08:48 PM.