Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > GARAGE TALK > Garage Talk: Solid Axle Swaps

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old June 5th, 2011, 11:34 AM

Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Default SAS questions.

I'm way far off from a SAS so don't get too excited, just got some questions.
Would a dana 44 coil sprung with radius arms and trac bar be basically bolt on parts? A 4 link is way more than I want, leaf springs would be if I went for 1 tons.
Also, why does everyone use the separate coil bucket and shock mount, whats wrong with the stock ones?
Why shackle flip for the rear?
And is there any certain years the axle needs to come from? I heard just a 79 f150 but of course with a dana 60 you can use just about any like klitch right?
Sway bars? Never seen anyone do em?

Last edited by Russo2; June 5th, 2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old June 5th, 2011, 12:34 PM

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo2 View Post
Would a dana 44 coil sprung with radius arms and trac bar be basically bolt on parts?
Yes, you could do a Dana 44 SAS without welding, most of it will bolt right up.

Quote:
Also, why does everyone use the separate coil bucket and shock mount, whats wrong with the stock ones?
Depends on what kind of shocks they are using in front. Coilovers, long travel, etc.

Quote:
Why shackle flip for the rear?
A shackle flip is an easy way to get a good 4 inches of lift (more or less).

Quote:
And is there any certain years the axle needs to come from?
It all depends on what your suspension plans are calling for. 78-79 Dana 44's have the wedges molded into the axle housing so you are stuck with radius arms. Pre 78, the wedges were welded on and can easily be removed for something like a 4 link setup. That's the basics without going into more detail.

Quote:
Sway bars? Never seen anyone do em?
I have a sway bar on my 8.8 rear. Bates88 also has sway bars - front and rear. Great way to improve handling, cornering and suspension.

Before my rear swaybar install, if I were to lets say take a pretty sharp turn at 50 mph or more in my f150 and hit a bump, my truck would shift over a good two or more inches. Worst feeling when taking turns at high speeds.

After installing the rear sway bar in my f150, that same turn was no issue. No body roll and improved cornering. A sway bar is a must have mod, especially in the rear for a pickup.

I got my sway bar from Hellwig products. Well worth it. I hope this helps you out some, and there are a lot of guys on here that can give you good answers to your questions as well. Stay tuned!

Old June 5th, 2011, 12:54 PM

Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts

Good stuff. I really need to get body work done before it would be worth the time and money for a SAS, but I like to learn.
So you would suggest a rear sway bar, but not necessarily a front?
What about brake upgrades? I know like with a dana 60 it wouldn't be necessary but what about with a dana 44 and 37"+ tires, wouldn't bigger brakes be a must?
Old June 5th, 2011, 01:33 PM

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

Upgrading the breaks is always a good thing, but not really needed for 37's. Maybe a better rotor, drilled/slotted but thats about it. Upgrading breaks are very costly.

If it's in your budget, go with sway bars on the front and rear. The Ford d44 from the factory has a sway bar.