Quantcast Dana 44 - Operation Break Down - Completed - Page 3 - Ford Truck Club Forum

Home

Forum

Gallery

Garage

Blog

Arcade

Settings

TOTM

Vote

Remember Me?
       Join for free!

Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > GARAGE TALK > Garage Talk: Solid Axle Swaps

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:04 AM

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

Well sure enough after inspecting the 2 bearing caps and the housings out lip, I noticed an "L" on one side of the housing as well as one cap and a "7" stamped on the other side of the housing and on the other bearing cap, so... CASE CLOSED!

I will provide pics tomorrow.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:14 PM

Liked 185 Times in 167 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
It is! One of the last things I plan on doing is removing the bed. Welding a plate of steel behind it to strengthen the back wall after I bang out some of the dents. Then rhinoline it or maybe do the duplicolor bed liner myself.
its good to see that you use it

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsoko View Post
its good to see that you use it
Its a pick up truck! Family owned from day one! Ive made many trips to Home Depot in that thing!

Old January 3rd, 2010, 07:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

looking good keep up the great work will love to see that move after its done

Dennis
Old January 3rd, 2010, 07:47 PM

Thanks D!

To the rest of you, Feonix is the guy I bought the axle from. Cool dude!

Old January 3rd, 2010, 07:54 PM

Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts

(scratching head) Why are you so excited in the beginning posts about using an extension? Extensions loose force behind them making bolts harder to remove. The closer you are to a bolt the less force it takes to remove. Now.......on the other hand, the longer the handle on a ratchet or breaker bar.....the better. If you want an EASY job......invest in a 1/2" drive cordless impact gun (i prefer Snap-On). This is if a compressor isnt available. I assume you also have a torque wrench available to torque all your bolts to specs. This is extremely important on these rears. Crank down on one too much or too little and your asking for TROUBLE! Make sure to check backlash too. Hope all goes well tho! Good luck!

Lowriders are for guys who can't get it up!
Sissy's drive 2wd's! (you know who you are!!)

Black Sheep of FTC
Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:32 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmechanic07 View Post
(scratching head) Why are you so excited in the beginning posts about using an extension? Extensions loose force behind them making bolts harder to remove. The closer you are to a bolt the less force it takes to remove. Now.......on the other hand, the longer the handle on a ratchet or breaker bar.....the better. If you want an EASY job......invest in a 1/2" drive cordless impact gun (i prefer Snap-On). This is if a compressor isnt available. I assume you also have a torque wrench available to torque all your bolts to specs. This is extremely important on these rears. Crank down on one too much or too little and your asking for TROUBLE! Make sure to check backlash too. Hope all goes well tho! Good luck!
i agree. i love my dewalt electrical impact.

Have you donated to FordTruckClub.net yet? I have!

Old January 3rd, 2010, 08:38 PM

Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts

Its amazing how much time and effort they can save you. HIGHLY RECOMEND(sp)....if your removing a 6pt head bolt.........use a 6point socket too. 12 points will work but run a MUCH higher risk of stripping a bolt head. Not exactly sure how much mechanical experience all the guys on here have, but just making some points to save you time and aggrivation. Trust me........I know first hand. Maybe I should start a topic somewhere on here for the do's and dont's of mechanic work. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Lowriders are for guys who can't get it up!
Sissy's drive 2wd's! (you know who you are!!)

Black Sheep of FTC
Old January 3rd, 2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
(scratching head) Why are you so excited in the beginning posts about using an extension? Extensions loose force behind them making bolts harder to remove. The closer you are to a bolt the less force it takes to remove. Now.......on the other hand, the longer the handle on a ratchet or breaker bar.....the better. Hope all goes well tho! Good luck!
Well, my excitement is due to the fact that the god damn axle is on my garage floor and my nut sack is about 4 plus feet up from it! I dont need to be bending over to unbolt those bolts that had been torqued to spec 25 plus years.

Thank you though for hoping all goes well!

Old January 3rd, 2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
HIGHLY RECOMEND(sp)....if your removing a 6pt head bolt.........use a 6point socket too. 12 points will work but run a MUCH higher risk of stripping a bolt head. Not exactly sure how much mechanical experience all the guys on here have, but just making some points to save you time and aggrivation. Trust me........I know first hand.

Maybe I should start a topic somewhere on here for the do's and dont's of mechanic work. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
That is a good point Cat and people should know that. For me, all the bolts are headed for the trash. They are 25 plus years old so I think new bolts are in order here.

Being that you are a mechanic, I think you should post some do's and dont's on here for the rest of the members who want to try things themselves. Sounds like a great idea.

« There is no previous thread | Need Help With Dana 44 Build »