Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-100 | F-150 SERIES > 1973-1991 Ford F150

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old October 4th, 2017, 03:49 PM

Liked 28 Times in 25 Posts
Default Bringing the F150 back to life...

Hey guys,
I've been out of the game for about 4 years, working on my GTP and whatnot. The truck has been down for the entire time, mainly because of the fact that it can't (legally) sit 4 people, and the Transgo shift kit destroyed the way the transmission shifted.

Anyways, some of you know how I obtained the truck, but here's a refresher. My Grandpa bought the truck new, put a pop up camper on it, and we went on various trips in it throughout my childhood in it. I've been to 38 states in it. On my 21st Bday he gave it to me with 55,000 on it. I did a few upgrades to it, nothing overly major though. Saginaw PS, 3G alternator, stereo, F350 brakes, Taurus e-fans, and Exploder injectors. 5 years later, I was laid off from Bank of America, my wife was pregnant with my son, and we decided to move from AZ to MO.

After that, I did some more upgrades it, GT40P heads, Mustang Y-pipe, MAF swap (A9L), dual batteries, +4 mod in the Trak-lok, Dodge turbine wheels, Explorer OHC, Mustang HO\roller conversion, I think that's it. I'm probably missing some things, lol. I installed a Trangso shift kit and it TOTALLY killed the way the transmission shifted. It'd hold 1st until 20-25MPH no matter how much gas I gave it, it'd SLAM into gears, SLAM out of 4th, etc. I tried adjusting the TV cable every way you could imagine, with a gauge\spacer, by feel, by removing slack, etc. NOTHING worked. I took pictures of the entire install and sent the pictures to Transgo, and they had no idea what was going on. In the midst of that, my wife became pregnant with out second child, and since the truck can't seat 4, we picked up a new car. The truck basically got sidelined from frustration, and sat for the next 4 years.

Last year, Grandpa passed, and I promised myself to get the truck running. After getting the family cross country to see Grandma (she never was able to meet the kids, so that had to happen), the truck became the 1st priority. I bought a Silverfox valve body, new batteries, changed fluids, and she fired like I drove it yesterday.

I don't have any pics of the VB, but I can't say enough good things about Dan (Silverfox), I had to pull the VB twice to have him change the way it shifted, so it'd be exactly how I wanted it, and he had no problem making changes at all. It really does shift amazing now. It was $300 for the VB, but it was money VERY well spent. The truck is SO enjoyable to drive now.

I went through quite a few little things, I isolated the batteries, put a Gatorback belt in with a smog pump bypass (shorter belt caused a squeak), replaced the MC\booster, put in a Mustang MAF (I had a truck MAF beforehand), changed plugs\wires, set the e-fans with an IR thermometer, and some other odds and ends. Anyways, onto pics!
One of the first road trips I took in her, circa 1991 in Oregon:

Same day she was back on the road:

Connecting up the under hood lights, you can see the batteries isolated:

New booster\MC:

Bypass\Gatorback:

Installed:

Check out these plugs\wires. Yes, I used grease, I guess it all got washed off over the years:

4,3,2,1:

5,6,7,8:

Then I decided to regrease the tensioner pulley, I work at a maching factory so I went a littler over kill and used some Kluber grease, lol. That turned into sanding up the tensioner a bit and painting the wear indicator\bolts...my OCD got the best of me.
Before:

After:

I have plenty of plans for her this go around, just need some time to get what I need. First main project is going to be new valve springs\roller rockers\valve covers, then dual exhaust. I'll update as I go along. Glad to be back!

89 F-150 5.0l AOD 2x4, 3.55 LS(+4), Converted to HO Roller, 3g Alt, GT40Ps, Y-pipe, Rerouted PCV, Dual Taurus E-fans, Explorer Injectors, Remote ICM, DIY Cold air, Rubber Vacuum System, Tranny cooler, Remote Tranny filter, Saginaw P\S swap, F350 Brakes, more.

The Following User Likes This Post:
JSoko (Yesterday)
Old October 5th, 2017, 09:55 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

That's cool keeping that truck going in the family. I bet you're stoked about having it back up and running. Very nice truck man. Congrats.
Old October 5th, 2017, 10:29 AM

Liked 29 Times in 29 Posts

welcome back youve been missed

click below to see my FTC Gallery

Don't forget those that came before you! Be proud of who you are and where your from.

“No damn man kills me and lives.” Confederate Lieutenant General, Nathan Bedford Forrest

Old October 5th, 2017, 06:11 PM

Thanks guys. glad to be back. Took the door panels off today and greased everything, and changed the fuel filter. Looked like tea coming out of that filter, lol. I haven't driven it since the change, but I'm sure it won't hurt. I wanted to put some miles on the truck before changing it, and I've put roughly a tank or so of gas through it, so it was time to change.

The other day pulled the tensioner pulley to grease it, and apparently I greased it the wrong way. I treated it like a wheel bearing. I packed it and spun it around until grease came out the opposite side. I guess that was WAAAAAY too much. Grease kept leaking out of the rear seal and spraying all over the inside of the pulley (not the engine bay). I asked a couple gear head buddies at work, and they said they've been down that road before and told me to use less grease...then they told me to bring it in and do it at work.

So I took it in and cleaned it all up, then used the most expensive grease I've ever seen. Kluber Spindle grease...to the tune of $200 per tube. I used about enough to cover half of my finger nail. It made one hell of a difference, I'll say. When it was clean I was able to turn it over and it was pretty smooth, but I could feel it. With this grease, it spun FOREVER, and smooth as can be. No leaks as of yet, and it's been 3 days.

89 F-150 5.0l AOD 2x4, 3.55 LS(+4), Converted to HO Roller, 3g Alt, GT40Ps, Y-pipe, Rerouted PCV, Dual Taurus E-fans, Explorer Injectors, Remote ICM, DIY Cold air, Rubber Vacuum System, Tranny cooler, Remote Tranny filter, Saginaw P\S swap, F350 Brakes, more.

Old October 6th, 2017, 09:23 AM

Liked 133 Times in 115 Posts

Welcome Back, glad to know your still alive and kicking
I'll bet that Boy has grown like a weed

good on you taking care of that Truck

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old October 6th, 2017, 10:17 AM

Oh yea, he's in first grade now, and Zoey is in preschool now. He helps me work on the truck when he can. A lot of the work I do to it is in the morning since I work nights, too. Here's a somewhat recent pic of them.

Funny thing about Zoey is that she never really saw the truck run, let alone drive. She LOVES going on rides in it, laughing and squealing the entire time.

Old October 11th, 2017, 07:04 PM

After 2 freakin weeks, I finally got the LEDs in the mail, and installed them in about a half hour. Took awhile because I didn't want to remove the console, so I was very careful not the break the indicator cable. Oh, and I have big hands. Anyways, they are WAY brighter as expected, but there is a slight dim spot on the passenger side of the speedometer. We'll see how it looks at night, I think it might be livable, or I might be able to modify the bulb to work better. We'll see. I was able to swap out almost every indicator light, too. Bright lights, brake, seat belt, the 2 check engine lights (I left the battery light incandescent for the alternator), and the turn signal indicators. I didn't have enough bulbs to do the RABS light, and I plan to order more, I'm just going to see how these look at night first, so if I need to order a different size I can. Anyways, here's a pic or 2. Style of bulb I used:

How it looks, keep in mind, it's still daytime. Previously you wouldn't be able to tell the lights were on at all:

JSoko (Yesterday)
Old October 13th, 2017, 08:42 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Definitely a big difference. Looks good.
Old October 13th, 2017, 06:05 PM

Thanks, it's been a LONG road, lol. I decided against roller rockers, at least until I find a pretty good deal on them. I'm currently at .444 lift, and with 1.7s I'd only be at .471, so it doesn't really seem worth the money to me. If anything, I'll eventually just get a different cam. For now, I went ahead and bought the valve springs I've been wanting for years. While I have everything apart I'll do some cleaning and try to get the rust off of the valve covers, we'll see how that goes. I really like the look of fabricated VCs, but I don't like the idea of an intake spacer. Anyways, these are the valve springs I ended up getting:

Old October 15th, 2017, 01:44 PM

Yesterday was quite the day. I have been fighting a random startup problem for years, I though it was related to the MAF swap. I went through everything, but once it was up to temp, it would start and rev up and down...randomly. I had enough of it yesterday, so i went through everything troubleshooting. Checked ECT, TPS, MAF, IAT, EGR, Coil, TFI, full tune up, you get the idea. I went and rented a fuel pressure gauge and it didn't have a Ford adapter. I went ahead and began troublehsooting fuel. I pulled the FPR vacuum line and it was dry, but then I decided to pull it while the truck was having the issues, and it was wet. I had finally found the problem.
This is what it was doing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-iCXmjXo1k
This is is now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEJXrdfiNps

Also, snapped a pic of the LED's at night:

Anyway, now that the truck is running good, I can resume other projects. I modified the Explorer Overhead console I put in. I deleted the girdles, added 921 LED bulbs, and used some diodes to tie it into the dome light circuit. It came out great, I can't wait to see how bright it is at night. Here's some pics:
You can see the original setup vs what I did:

Both sides done:

Installed:

All done!

JSoko (Yesterday)

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 8
BigT67 , Booba5185 , glc , harrison28 , JSoko , polargeek , skatebowd , supra1jz