Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-100 | F-150 SERIES > 1973-1991 Ford F150

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old May 24th, 2015, 12:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 351W Swap

Alright, it's been a while people. I'm starting my 351W swap. I currently have an EFI 5.0 in my 91 F150. I switching to carb. So here's what i'm doing:
Block: .060 Over, hyper pistons, 9.2-9.3 CR
Heads: Stock, replacing valves and valve springs 1.250 bind height and
230lb/in pressure rate and home port and polish
Camshaft: Going Lunati Cam specs are as follows Duration @ .050 219/227
Lift .499 .522 with a 112 LSA
Carb: Holley 4150 600cfm with vac secondaries
Intake: Edelbrock performer with lokar kickdown cable
Exhaust: Running Shorty headers with Bassani Y-Pipe. I don't feel like messing with LT and 4wd, I also already have the headers and ypipe so it saves money and the marginal gain of LT isn't worth the headache.

For the fuel system i'm keeping my stock pump in the tank but getting a regulator with return so I can dial it down to 6PSI. I haven't decided on an air cleaner yet, I'm not sure what kind of clearance i'll have to work with. I'm going to go with Procomp for my electronics. Any advice on jetting for the carb would be appreciated, the carb currently has 69 primaries and 6.5hg power valve. I'll upload pictures as I go. I'm hoping to have all this done by the time monsoon season hits in Tucson.

Last edited by IrishKRO; May 24th, 2015 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Gotta throw exhaust in there.
Old May 28th, 2015, 09:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Update, found a set of 289 heads for $350 on craiglist. They have 1.94 intake valves and 1.60 exhaust valves. They have also been reground for chevy springs and come with all new hardware. They have also been decked and ported and polished. They have closed chambers and CC out to 58cc combustion chambers. No the most ideal head, but they cost less than what I was gonna do to my stock heads and will perform better.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 06:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Update as well as a request for help. Decided to drop the Lunati cam and go Comp cams 35-235-3 Cam. Int .477 Exhaust .493 Duration at .050 210 and 218 respectively. The issue i'm running into is valve lift. I'm looking at valve springs and it would seem that none have an adequately low coil bind. Here's my math and hopefully it's wrong. 0.493x1.6(rocker ratio)= .787. Add .060 for a safety margin and that brings my needs to .847. If my springs installed height is 1.7" I need it's coild bind to be around .860. Can anyone help me? I've emailed compcams to see if they can provide guidance but i'm at a loss.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 08:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, when looking at the cam specs I totally missed the section that said lobe lift. Their valve lift figure is calculated using a 1.6 rocker ration. Now all I have to do is figure out my current springs coil bind and the seat diameter that these heads will accommodate.
Old June 9th, 2015, 09:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So the seats will accommodate up to 1 3/8" diameter. Current valve springs have a 1.250" OD, and it seems that most springs above this have an installed height of 1.8 and usually a coil bind commensurate with the increased height. I found some springs that have a seat pressure of 110lbs at 1.7 with an OD of 1.250 and a rate of 280 lbs/in which my existing hardware will accommodate.These should also help the engine idle well. I also looked a bit more into calculating compression ratios. I stumbled upon compression height and found out that to achieve a lower CR, that pistons i'm using have a .020" lowered compression height. This increases my piston to deck clearance and drops my dynamic CR to 7.47 and static to 9.5, which should handle pump gas just fine.
Old June 9th, 2015, 10:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking at a few similar builds, this engine is going to be torquey as hell starting around 2k rpm. Found a guy with a similar build and his engine put out over 400ftlbs from 2000-3500.
I'll have .25 more compression as well as better flowing heads and more cam. Will a stock aod handle this power? Or am I just gonna have to wait till it shreds it and tell my wife I need to build a beefier tranny?
Old June 26th, 2015, 04:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What brand is your exhaust system?
Old June 26th, 2015, 06:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Exhaust

I have flowtek shorty headers (I think) with a Bassani Y-Pipe into a dynomax super turbo muffler. The CAT is 3" and the muffler is 3" in with dual 2.5" out, I bent my own tubing and cut it resulting in the exhaust coming out just in front of the rear passenger tire. It's SUPER throaty, idles insanely queit but as soon as I accelerate it can set off some of the more sensitive car alarms. Overall it's too loud for my liking, but when I run the rpm's up at idle it sounds MEAN. Under load just loud and throaty. These are pretty much what I have but about twice as expensive as when I bought them.
Old July 9th, 2015, 09:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I got a great deal on 30lb injectors with a calibrated MAF. I'm ditching the carb and just doing a MAF swap. It'll cost about the same all said and done and emissions won't be an issue. If anyone has a computer or donor wiring harness please hit me up if your selling.
Old September 4th, 2015, 06:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Update! So I found a guy on a forum that I was able to purchase an A9P as well as a complete engine harness(Injector harness and MAF included). Right now all i'm waiting on is income to permit me to buy the rebuild kit for my engine as well as the new parts i'm putting on it.