Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > RANGER | MAZDA-B > 1983-1988 Ford Ranger

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old November 7th, 2010, 12:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Ranger fuel gauge not working

i have a 1991 ford ranger truck fuel gage dont work at all any ideals on how to fix. also the lighter was working and just stopped
Old November 7th, 2010, 01:33 PM

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnikaeen View Post
i have a 1991 ford ranger truck fuel gage dont work at all any ideals on how to fix. also the lighter was working and just stopped
About the fuel gauge in your Ford Ranger:

There are a few causes for a fuel gauge not to register fuel levels, the main cause would be a faulty sending unit. These units do go bad from time to time and when they do, the fuel gauge doesn't receive the required signal from the sending unit letting you know the amount of fuel in your fuel tank.

In order to rule out a faulty sending unit, you must test the unit for power and ground. The only way to get to the unit is by removing the fuel tank.

Unfortunately the sending unit is located inside your fuel tank. =(

As far as your lighter not working, it could be a blown fuse, loose wire, etc. Again test the wires going to the lighter for power, that is the first place to start. If there is no power, I would then move on to the fuse.

For future reference, please only make one thread per question in the correct section of the forum. The member introduction section is only for member introductions, not truck related questions.

Good luck and please keep us up to date on what you find!

Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

fuel sending unit may be faulty, you have to either drop the tank or remove the bed. the part costs like 30 dollars.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:47 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I opted for lifting the bed. two people can walk off with a ranger bed in a matter of minutes if the bolts aren't trashed. My dads 89, the float came off the sending unit linkage.

I believe its a T55 bit for the bed bolts, soak them a few days with good penetrating oil if they look like they'll give you trouble.

built and blueprinted Lightning powerplant with p&p heads, race built 4r70w by Darrin @ BC-Automotive
1-Ton swap Dyno 436/475
Transmission saga. avoid www.Engineworldusa.com, junk import motors.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 42
975.4 , alaskatabby , AlfredHof , ArnoldAquax , ASwaff400 , BigT67 , Budberry , ClezeripLover , Cluelessbrian , DavidGag , Deannanob , DoubleDee , EmersonSwone , Frankmaide , Heatherageda , Henry_Tus , her , imhsar , Jeffreytep , Jesseplosy , JSoko , Klitch , LilaBar , Michaelbic , MichaelRef , Mtgoat , Nathanporse , nine5flareside , Philiperymn , PhilipEtess , Purintto , Ramonvog , Robertcem , Robertjoics , Robertnut , RobertVog , Rodneyvat , RonaldFon , TimothyNut , Truth of Bible , whitesleeper , XRumerTest