Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-100 | F-150 SERIES > 1997-2003 Ford F150

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old September 9th, 2010, 01:41 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default My codes 172,175,1137,1157

I'll give a brief history, I'm the unhelped step child on other forums and I'm not sure why.

put together a 5.4L lightning engine with port and polish heads and swapped it for the 4.6, and went with the rest of the sheep at the time to "Troyer Performance" for tuning. The truck has NEVER run correctly, though when its cold and hasn't had a chance to change loop it runs its best (almost perfect). I insist its all tuning, Troyer just shook his finger at me and said in a nutshell it was mechanical and my fault. His reasoning is my MAF is clocking ~250 AD counts on his program, and I think that was appx 1.25-1.5v at idle.

<hr>
Fast forward to last week (3 yrs later)

My vacation with the camper set these codes at different intervals (camper battery dead celled and ate my batt down)
P0401 (I have egr blocked off, I expect this)

P0172 System Too Rich (Bank 1)
P0175 System Too Rich (Bank 2)
P1137 Lack Of HO2S12 Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean
P1157 Lack Of HO2S22 Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean

Wideband actions:
idle 14.5-15.8 AF/r
very minimal throttle, flat ground, closest to no load I can possibly get 14.5-15
minimal to moderate throttle on a good day (rare occurrence) 11-12.
anything else pegs the gauge rich.

Has a rolling idle when warmed up and in gear, does stall intermittently but only when building speed, if I creep 1-3mph the truck idles fine.

I'm confused now, how can I get conflicting codes like that on the same trip?

built and blueprinted Lightning powerplant with p&p heads, race built 4r70w by Darrin @ BC-Automotive
1-Ton swap Dyno 436/475
Transmission saga. avoid www.Engineworldusa.com, junk import motors.

Old September 9th, 2010, 09:18 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klitch View Post

I'm confused now, how can I get conflicting codes like that on the same trip?
Maybe the codes were set off at different times (different temperature, driving conditions, fuel source?, etc) unfortunately that's about all the help I can offer at this point.

Big T

Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Old September 10th, 2010, 01:54 AM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Hmm, well the codes were read at my 2nd gas stop, they had been lit for 10 mins before I checked. Still though, I'm sure you understand how I'm confused.

built and blueprinted Lightning powerplant with p&p heads, race built 4r70w by Darrin @ BC-Automotive
1-Ton swap Dyno 436/475

Old September 10th, 2010, 11:11 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

yes, I can see where the confusion comes from, but consider this, perhaps the rich codes were thrown during coasting or idle and the lean codes during acceleration? and if it was shortly before a fuel stop, maybe your fuel filter is in need of changing?

Big T

Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Old September 10th, 2010, 05:15 PM

Stay thirsty my friends... stay thirsty.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

How about the infamous vac. leak?

Old September 10th, 2010, 08:36 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete59edsel View Post
How about the infamous vac. leak?
I have always had 15" of vacuum at idle, I was told the cams I chose was probably the main culprit, but I am not sure of either of those issues (cam or vac leak) but haven't found a leak yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT_2000 View Post
yes, I can see where the confusion comes from, but consider this, perhaps the rich codes were thrown during coasting or idle and the lean codes during acceleration? and if it was shortly before a fuel stop, maybe your fuel filter is in need of changing?
perhaps vice versa (wideband screams rich whenever I give it gas), fuel filter was new 3 years ago and a grand total of 5k miles.

I did however get pointed to a source that says the 1137/1157 codes are set by the downstream sensors. so upstreams flag right, downstreams flag lean. Widebands all over and usually rich, I guess I should buck up and buy $100 worth of motorcraft o2's upstreams.

1-Ton swap Dyno 436/475

Old September 11th, 2010, 02:53 PM

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

http://scottykilmer.homestead.com/~s...H_H=1752653345

What we leave behind are our words and our deeds. Nothing else really matters.

Old September 11th, 2010, 08:42 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianF150 View Post

1-Ton swap Dyno 436/475

Old September 12th, 2010, 05:57 AM

Liked 185 Times in 167 Posts

chalk one up for the 'old salt'

modifying the emissions and injection system like you have takes all bets off. Your computer is set up for a stock system, which yours no longer is. So you can get the computer saying it's too lean AND too rich. The computer can try to compensate for lean, and cause too rich, and vice versa. This is one reason I NEVER advise anyone to modify that stuff on a street vehicle. Racing is one thing, but driving on the street is another. Unless you can find a ford computer genius to reprogram yours to run correctly, it never will. I see this all the time with mods,so I never advise anyone to do it. The good old days of hot rodding engines is LONG gone. Good Luck, hope you can find someone who knows how to reprogram things. Scotty

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old September 12th, 2010, 01:28 PM

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Joey

We were all hoping a new ECM for the 5.4 tuned to the new changes and other addon's wasn't the answer.

Alas - the old addage still applies -

When you change or alter anything from design; there is loads of homework.

Klitch-

All may not be lost. Scotty knows best here. But perhaps a look see in Ford's Technical Manuals might reveal sensor part numbers with its ranges. Use the range values to correspond to the changes you made in the 5.4L.

Also check out the manufacturer of the parts you put in. They should have design specs that keep them from being sued. Might be propietary but wont know until you ask them.

Gonna be lots of research homework but cheapest way to go. Hopefully you havent changed the Cam and Crankshaft ranges too far out of stock limits.

What we leave behind are our words and our deeds. Nothing else really matters.

Last edited by HawaiianF150; September 12th, 2010 at 01:44 PM.