Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD BRONCO | BRONCO II > 1992-1996 Ford Bronco

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old November 10th, 2010, 11:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 94 Bronco starting problems

Hello, I am new to this site, hopefully someone might be able to help me. I have a 94 Bronco, and recently it has been sputtering at the stop light when I take off then fully kicking in. Now it will start up and Putt and as soon as I step on the gas it dies. The fuel pump is kicking on and there is fuel at the rail. I put a new filter on it and new spark plugs and it is still doing it. Please help me with some advice if you could. thanks Kyle
Old November 11th, 2010, 12:09 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My first guess would be the fuel pressure regulator. When you say you put a new filter on it, I am guessing fuel filter? If so, then you may also want to check the air filter, if you haven't already.

Big T

Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Old November 11th, 2010, 12:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

also sounds like a vacum house in the egr system. may want to go to a nearby autozone or whatever yal have up there and get a test run
Old November 11th, 2010, 12:49 AM

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

Welcome to the site. We will get you all fixed up!

First, do you have a check engine light on?

94 Bronco, inspect your air filter and tube, make sure there is no blockage and then unplug your MAF sensor and take it for a ride. Let us know if you still have the same issue. Lets start with the basics before we start swapping anything out.

Old November 11th, 2010, 07:07 AM

Liked 185 Times in 167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerbotts View Post
or whatever yal have up there
LOL
those auto parts stores will do a free check
for check engine lite on
and charging system
and there may be some discount codes left here on the site if Bates aint used them up; if their still avaliable you can save $$$ on parts
soeone will chime in on this soon

This site gives Truck stuff away and offers discounts to places like Advance Auto
Heck, tell your friends

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old November 11th, 2010, 01:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just got it started, I unplugged the MAF sensor, and I was able to start it up, and then I try plugging back in the MAF sensor and she wants to die. So does this tell me that it is the MAF sensor? Thanks Guys
Old November 11th, 2010, 01:33 PM

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellerskyle View Post
I just got it started, I unplugged the MAF sensor, and I was able to start it up, and then I try plugging back in the MAF sensor and she wants to die. So does this tell me that it is the MAF sensor? Thanks Guys
Awesome, the MAF sensor could be dirty or bad. Lets just shoot for dirty right now. First thing you have to know, the MAF sensor has a set of wires that measure the amount of air going into your engine. You will find them on the inside of the MAF housing.

Be careful not to damage these wires or you will be out of luck. What you want to do is basically clean them. Take the housing off and then remove the MAF sensor. You will need some torx bits to get that sensor off the housing. I think T-20 is the correct size bit.

Once you have the MAF sensor out of the housing, spray down the sensor wires with some electrical parts cleaner. Dont touch it, just spray it. Stay around 8 to 12 inches away when you spray. Only use ELECTRICAL PARTS CLEANER in the spray can. Spray it down real good, let it soak and spray some more!

No need to touch the wires, just spray it down and let it dry. You can blow some air on the wires with your mouth but nothing more. Do not use air from an air compressor. Inspect it, make sure the wires are clean and just put everything back together.

Take it out for a ride again and let us know whats up. It is also a good idea to change your air filter while you are at it. If you have an advance auto parts near you, before you buy read this thread: http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4132

It will save you some money. If this doesn't fix the issue, your MAF sensor could be dead. I've got two good ones in my garage if that's the case.

Good luck.

Old November 16th, 2010, 03:50 PM

Liked 185 Times in 167 Posts

What Nine5 said also

Mass airflow sensors constantly measure the amount of air entering the intake manifold. This lets the engine management computer know how much gasoline to inject into the cylinders for proper combustion. Hot-wire-type sensors, like you have, work by keeping a short piece of wire or film at a constant, elevated temperature. An electrical current is applied to the wire to maintain its temperature; the amount of current necessary to maintain the temperature is proportional to the mass of cool air flowing past it. Sounds complicated, but there are no moving parts and the response rate is very fast. So far, so good.

Eventually, dirt and oily film bake onto the wire, insulating it from the cooler air--and when the engine management computer sees a value for air mass that's too far out of range, it sets an error code. Periodically, there's a cleaning cycle during which the wire is heated to a very high temperature right after engine shutdown. This burns off deposits.

When this cleaning cycle fails to remove all of the contaminants, you're supposed to replace the MAF sensor. According to almost every manufacturer, it's not recommended or even possible to clean the delicate wires. Of course, they're selling those sensors, so their motivation might be suspect. Next time, I'd try cleaning it first--what do you have to lose? I used to use aerosol carb cleaner, but CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner is new and less prone to dissolving other components in the MAF sensor. Do yourself a favor and remove the MAF sensor from the vehicle before attempting to clean it. Also, I'd make sure the air filter housing, air filter and all associated ducting are intact, clean inside and not leaking dirt. This will keep you from needing to clean or replace the MAF sensor anytime soon.

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.