Quantcast Question at the end: Posted this in Welcome, but maybe better here? (Repost) - Ford Truck Club Forum

Home

Forum

Gallery

Garage

Blog

Arcade

Settings

TOTM

Vote

Remember Me?
       Join for free!

Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-100 | F-150 SERIES > 1948-1983 Ford F100

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old December 29th, 2018, 11:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Question at the end: Posted this in Welcome, but maybe better here? (Repost)

Hey y'all. I'm a lifer when it comes to these old trucks. My gramps bought our '56 in 1962, and he left it to me when he passed away in January of this year. I've spent my whole life either under the hood or in the cab, and now that it's mine, I'm taking the majority of my inheritance from him and putting it into our '56 big window.

It's an original 272, but I swapped the 3-on-the-tree for the Ford-o-Matic we had laying around when he got a little too old to shift effectively. The engine has about 45k since it was rebuilt, and the trans has a total of like 130 miles since I put the rebuilt one in it in 2013.

It's also got a ('62?) Galaxy power steering system in it, front discs, a 9" 3.73 rear, and the ram-horn exhaust manifolds. Other than that, it's all original.

We were rewiring it before he started to really feel his age, and we stopped working on it and started spending more time together inside around the time we put the automatic in it, and never finished wiring it up. Thinking back on it, I think the time we hit the brakes and the headlights came on was the final straw for him (we never claimed to be electricians, but we gave it our best!)

Since I'm on break and don't resume teaching until January 22nd, I had a pro rewire the whole truck top to bottom, finish the 12v conversion throughout, put a Dakota Digital dash cluster in it for the tach and the look, and switched to a Pertronix electronic ignition from the old points and condenser.

Waiting to get the Holley 2bbl back from the shop, having it cleaned up and rebuilt since it's been sitting awhile. After that I'll flush the radiator and make sure the gas tank is clean and the lines are blown out before I hook them back up to the carb, as well as threw a new thermostat in it and bypassed the heater in the cab as I live in SoCal and don't use it, and am also not sure whether or not it leaks yet and just want to make sure it's running tip top before I start tackling that.

All that aside, my question is:

If I wanted to put an alternator in it instead of a generator, since I moved to 12v throughout, what's the best way to approach that? Is there an alternator that bolts on?

I have my guy ready to finish up the wiring now the the whole harness and dash are in place and the ignition is wired up, but I want to swap in an alternator before I start it up and change all the belts.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks!

-MJ
Old December 30th, 2018, 12:01 AM

Liked 95 Times in 92 Posts

Have you asked the pro who did your 12v conversion? If anyone would know about an alternator conversion, he should.

Check these links out:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/shop/...0-46-18-10-465

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...y/ford-y-block

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic115656.aspx

2003 F-150 XL RCSB 2wd 4.2 5 speed 3.55 LS
The Following User Likes This Post:
harrison28 (January 2nd, 2019)
Old December 30th, 2018, 11:51 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

They have single wire alternators with the regulator built in. That would be the way I would go. Post a photo of the truck would love to see it.
Old December 30th, 2018, 05:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies!

I’ll take some good shots today.

Also, those links are excellent.
Old January 5th, 2019, 08:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's been raining like hell here the past week, so I haven't been able to get any good pictures. I'll do it when it starts to slow down.

I am looking at getting something like this for the bracket for the alternator:
http://midfifty.com/item.php?INV_ID=...gm-alternators

and something like this for the alternator:
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/10160/10002/-1

Mid-fifties doesn't carry their 3226 GM alternator anymore.

Anyone know if this combination will fit?
Old January 5th, 2019, 08:46 PM

Liked 95 Times in 92 Posts

I'd ask Mid 50 what alternators will fit in that bracket.

2003 F-150 XL RCSB 2wd 4.2 5 speed 3.55 LS
Old January 7th, 2019, 11:12 AM

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Both items pass the visual test,....but without having the measurements for the spacing in the upper bracket and the width of the mount on the alternator, it's hard to tell for sure.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 7
49 Effie , 56BigWindow , glc , harrison28 , JedCrone , mathias , The Bone