Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-100 | F-150 SERIES > 2004-2008 Ford F150

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old August 2nd, 2009, 03:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Advice needed for exhaust problem

Hey everyone,

ok, I have a 2005 F-150 5.4L 2wd stock, I been having a flowmaster 40 series, since I bought it, and the sound had declined over time, the muffler I had it redone today and still sound like crap, i mean... my wifes uncle has an 07' chevy silverado 4.8L and has a 50 series SUV, and it sound GREAT!, and my 40 series sounds bad, when I start up is deep and loud, but as it levels the RPM it gets quiet, then if i rev up it sounds less deep, till there is just a high speed air flow sound, if im driving the more I step on it, the less deep it gets, but the sound from the high air flow takes over, so it sounds like a v6 stock at high RPM... is really hard to explain, today the muffler shop, cut the 2.25" stock pipe comming from the cats/manifolds, and replaced it with a 3" then the opened the 40 series to accept the 3", on the out side they fitted a 2.5" and installed just a 90 degree and exit before the axle, it looks like *****, but it was a test, why is it that a 4.8L chevy on a 50 series sound better (loud and deep) than this ford 5.4L on a 40 series? not even the muffler shop can figer it out, and it is driving me nuts, I don't have engine lights or errors, I only have 40k on this truck, and I just had the dealer install new plugs, I did noticed that it performs better, I have faster acceleration now as it has better flow, but where is the sound?

what muffler combination is everyone runnign on a 5.4L that sounds good? I want it deep and not super loud, but sport/performance sound, not like a 4 cylinder on duals or a BUICK getto style.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 07:05 AM

Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts

That is weird. I had Super 40's on mine, another guy I know has Super 44's on his, and now I have a Thrush (equal to a Super 44) on my 5.3L Chevy. Ive always have a deep mellow tone to all of mine. Wonder if you have a cat falling apart blocking flow?

Lowriders are for guys who can't get it up!
Sissy's drive 2wd's! (you know who you are!!)

Black Sheep of FTC
Old August 2nd, 2009, 10:34 AM

Liked 188 Times in 170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc74 View Post
Hey everyone,

ok, I have a 2005 F-150 5.4L 2wd stock, I been having a flowmaster 40 series, since I bought it, and the sound had declined over time, the muffler I had it redone today and still sound like crap, i mean... my wifes uncle has an 07' chevy silverado 4.8L and has a 50 series SUV, and it sound GREAT!, and my 40 series sounds bad, when I start up is deep and loud, but as it levels the RPM it gets quiet, then if i rev up it sounds less deep, till there is just a high speed air flow sound, if im driving the more I step on it, the less deep it gets, but the sound from the high air flow takes over, so it sounds like a v6 stock at high RPM... is really hard to explain, today the muffler shop, cut the 2.25" stock pipe comming from the cats/manifolds, and replaced it with a 3" then the opened the 40 series to accept the 3", on the out side they fitted a 2.5" and installed just a 90 degree and exit before the axle, it looks like *****, but it was a test, why is it that a 4.8L chevy on a 50 series sound better (loud and deep) than this ford 5.4L on a 40 series? not even the muffler shop can figer it out, and it is driving me nuts, I don't have engine lights or errors, I only have 40k on this truck, and I just had the dealer install new plugs, I did noticed that it performs better, I have faster acceleration now as it has better flow, but where is the sound?

what muffler combination is everyone runnign on a 5.4L that sounds good? I want it deep and not super loud, but sport/performance sound, not like a 4 cylinder on duals or a BUICK getto style.

just responded to that on the nazi

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old August 2nd, 2009, 10:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

have you checked or done anything with your air intake? i have flowmaster 40 series as well and hve had no problems - mine got deeper when i added my k&n intake as well - one thing to consider is that chevy has always had a deeper sound on the exhaust due to the fact that they have diffrent compression ratio's on their motors

an unloaded gun is just an expensive paperwieght

you cant fix stupid - but remove warning labels and we can greatly reduce its main offenders !!

WAR EAGLE

SmiliesFTW.com
Old August 2nd, 2009, 06:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

no, I have not done any other modification, the flowmaster 40 was the only one, I just found out, on another forum, that FORD Modular design don't like multi-chambered mufflers, as they became too mellow, unlike CHEVY push-rod design.... I miss my CHEVY

don't get me wrong I do like my FORD but I hate the exhaust tone, so now I have to spend more $$$ to try a magnaflow 14" and see if I like it...
Old August 2nd, 2009, 07:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thats odd since i have over 107k on my truck and havent noticed any changes other than the deeper tone when i added my intake

you cant fix stupid - but remove warning labels and we can greatly reduce its main offenders !!

WAR EAGLE

SmiliesFTW.com
Old August 2nd, 2009, 09:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i've had my 40 series flowmaster on my truck for near 60k miles....and like junyer...only seemed to have gotten deeper after my air intake.

here's a video of my exhaust:

http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/showthread.php?t=584

Matt

2007 F-150 FX4

I say try, if you never try you can never succeed.

Old August 2nd, 2009, 10:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i think you may have another problem than your muffler - it may be as simple as neding a new air filter or you may be losing compression - or you may just be comparing apples to oranges on your motor comparison - ford, chevy, and dodge all sound very diffrent with the same mufflers and tips due to vast diffrences in motor design

WAR EAGLE

SmiliesFTW.com
Old August 2nd, 2009, 11:05 PM

Liked 14 Times in 14 Posts

You may be having issues with the 5.4...........Hmmmmmm! I remember why I traded up now!

Lowriders are for guys who can't get it up!
Sissy's drive 2wd's! (you know who you are!!)

Black Sheep of FTC
Old August 2nd, 2009, 11:31 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ive always liked Magnaflow but you should check Borla they sound sick.

I honestly think you need an Intake. That 3" pipe is HUGE for a stock 5.4L. I know SuperCharged guys that still run 2.5"

And i highly doubt you are getting ALL the performance out of that exhaust without a intake and custom tune.

Have you donated to FordTruckClub.net yet? I have!