Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD F-100 | F-150 SERIES > 1997-2003 Ford F150

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old October 29th, 2017, 07:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2001 Ford F150 SuperCrew 5.4

My daughter was driving my truck when it wouldn't start. She waited a bit and it started and she stopped at another store at which time it would not start again no matter what. I towed it home. Basically the truck is a no start.

It does NOT click, does NOT crank, there is nothing. The battery is 9 years old and it seem to be bulging a bit so I purchased a new battery and still nothing.

Recommendations that I have already tried: to jump the starter relay on the firewall. It it cranks the starter, the starter is good and it is probably the relay. If nothing, then it is probably the relay. Well I didn't get anything from attempting to jump relay so I replaced the starter relay on firewall.

Was told that if it was the starter and I banged on it with a pipe or hammer just a bit, it would move the inside somewhat and this would reposition the bushings, gears so they would most likely start but it would be a one time thin and the starter would need replacing. I tried this and nothing.

After replacing the starter relay, now when I turn the key to start, it clicks in the area of the starter relay whereas it did not before (no sound at all).

Any ideas or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you
TCFord
Old October 29th, 2017, 07:43 PM

Liked 105 Times in 102 Posts

Make sure the battery is fully charged.

Clean the battery terminals, and all connections from there to the starter and ground.

If that fails, pull the starter and go get it tested. A common problem is the ground strap down at the starter, it rots away.

2003 F-150 XL RCSB 2wd 4.2 5 speed 3.55 LS
The Following User Likes This Post:
harrison28 (October 30th, 2017)