Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > GARAGE TALK > Garage Talk: General Tech Talk

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old November 3rd, 2009, 10:06 PM

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Default Ford Check Engine Light

<p>So your Ford trucks Check Engine light is on...This is your Ford truck telling you that there may be a problem.</p>
<p>You have two options here: I. Bring it over to a Ford Dealer/Ford MechanicII. Pull the codes yourself and find out what they mean</p>
<p>If you have the money and are able to just bring it right over to a trusting mechanic then good for you! For most of us, money is somewhat tight and it forces us to take matters into our own hands. This issue being no different.</p>
<p>So you have decided to join the rest of us and take matters into your own hands, GREAT! Where do you begin though? Well that is simple. First thing I suggest you do is figure out what type of On-Board Diagnostic system your truck has (this works for cars as well). Currently the two main On-Board Diagnostic systems are OBD I and OBD II. Once you figure out what diagnostic system your truck has then it is time to move onto the next step. Now that we know what we have, we need to use a Diagnostic Code Reader to pull the trouble codes.</p>
<p>There are many manufacturers who make Diagnostic Code Readers and a good suggestion is to buy one before you need it! If you have not purchased one do not worry, your local AutoZone should be able to read the trouble codes for you. Usually this service is done free of charge. A good rule of thumb if you go to AutoZone is to have them print out the list of codes that they pull. If you decide to you use your own code reader then make sure that you write them down so you dont forget.</p>
<p>Once you have retrieved all of your trouble codes it is now time to look them up. Below I will provide you with links for OBD I and OBD II diagnostic codes. Some of the codes may refer to an easy fix but for the tougher ones please let a certified Ford mechanic fix the problem. You would hate to have to make a small problem a BIG problem. Good luck!To discuss this blog entry click [HERE]</p>

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 3
Karen , nine5flareside , steve scott