Quantcast 2wd Front Most U-Joint Replacement and Slip Joint lubrication - Ford Truck Club Forum

Home

Forum

Gallery

Garage

Blog

Arcade

Settings

TOTM

Vote

Remember Me?
       Join for free!

Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > GARAGE TALK > Garage Talk: Shop Class 101

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old October 10th, 2012, 08:58 PM

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
Default 2wd Front Most U-Joint Replacement and Slip Joint lubrication

This is for Trucks with the Two Piece rear driveshaft, 2wd, this is for replacement of the u-joint at the Transmission and greasing the slip joint.

You'll need the following(well, if you want to do it the redneck way):

Rubberband
Empty Bread Bag
Hammer
Grease Gun
1lb Tub of Mobil One Full Synthetic Grease
1/2" Box End Wrench
9/16" 1/2" Drive Socket
1/2" Drive Extension
1/2" Drive Ratchet
Needle Nose Pliers
A tiny bit of Engine Oil
21/32" 1/2" Drive Socket
Towel
Split Log
Big Flathead(standard)Screwdriver
---------------------------------------------------------------------

You'll want to make sure the Transmission is in park, park brake is set, and all wheels(extra precaution)are chocked.

So, start by removing the nuts from the U-Bolts retaining the Rear driveshaft to the Axle(I don't know what bolt size it is for the trucks with the flanged yokes at the Axle)with your 1/2" wrench.

Once removed take your Flathead screwdriver and place it inbetween the u-joint and the yoke, pry it forward a bit to get it free of the yoke, then with your hands push it forward until it comes out of the yoke, lower it below the yoke and axle, get behind it and get a good grip, we're aiming to pull the driveshaft apart where it joins the front shaft which is the slip yoke we're pulling off. Climb from under the truck and set the driveshaft in the bed of the truck.

Now back under the truck, you'll notice where the carrier bearing is(that piece the driveshaft goes through in the middle)there is two bolts and a bracket surrounding the carrier bearing. With your Ratchet and 9/16" socket and extension, remove the two bolts whilst holding up the rear of the front driveshaft, once removed get the bracket out of the way, screw the bolts partially back into their holes, you should have your bag and rubberband down there with you, pull the driveshaft out of the transmission, and quickly slip the bag and rubberband over it. If you parked the truck where the front end was downhill, fluid won't come out(least it didn't on mine)but the bag will act as a precaution for something getting in there.

Front Shaft removed:

Tailshaft with bag and rubberband over it:

Now, I do most of my work on my tailgate, it's the perfect height for me and is somewhat flat. Here is our Driveshaft out from under the truck:

Yea, I got some dirt on the grease on the end of the splines for the slip joint, didn't hurt it any..

The end cleaned up somewhat:

The blue coating you see on the splines is Teflon, if it's wore off in a long strip, it's time to go on the hunt for a new or good used driveshaft with better coating on it.

Transmission end of the driveshaft:

Those splines:

One of the retainer clips, I think it was time for a u-joint service...

What the clip should look like:

The needle nose I'm using:

Hammer:

The socket used to drive the bearing cups out of the shaft:

The old U-Joint:

Bearing Cup:

New Joint in:

So, how this happens is, you remove the retaining clips with your needle nose, if one of the retaining clips are like the one in my pic you'll have to get under it with a big screwdriver and pry it out, make sure you DON'T stand over it!!!

Then take your socket and hammer and drive the bearing cups out, I use a little engine oil and let it soak for a few minutes before I drive them out.

Once completely removed, clean up the bearing holes in the driveshaft and the yoke, this one was so old it had rusted itself to the driveshaft and yoke so I had to clean it a bit more and use the engine oil, the oil will clean the rust up somewhat cause of the detergents in it, then use it to lubricate the new bearing cups so they'll go in easier.

Drive the cups into the driveshaft itself first, how I do it is, get the cups started, with the u-joint in the proper position in between the two cups, with the hammer, tap the cups in until they're flush with the holes in the driveshaft, then tap one in all the way with the socket and hammer, put in your retaining clip, then repeat on the other side and on the yoke for the transmission.

Your now done, if you want you can bolt it all back up. If you want to go a step further with preventative maintenance, clean the slip joint end of the driveshaft with some mild soap and water.

Then with your Mobil 1 grease(in the tub) grease the splines, this is synthetic, better grease for this teflon coating, it's what is also used on the Bronco Driveshafts with the slip joint and I use it in my wheel bearings, specially the Nylon cased outer Timken bearing:

Driveshaft splines greased up:

Before you reinstall the driveshaft, take your grease gun and grease ALL the u-joints on the whole driveshaft, just more preventative maintenance.

Front shaft reinstalled:

Make ABSOLUTE sure you really torque those bolts down for the carrier bearing, I don't have a torque wrench but when I get one I'll be going back over these bolts and tightening to proper spec.

This is the old U-Joint, doesn't look too bad, probably could've greased it up hindsight tells me, but too late now, it's got a beefier joint in it and new grease through out:

Now pat yourself on the back for replacing it and greasing everything up. We're not done yet, need to get in and take it for a drive, remember to unchock the wheels and release the park brake. We're looking to make sure it has no vibrations, and feels good when selecting through the gears. And the test drive will help spread the grease anyway.

Now we're completely done, go have a beer or in my case, some iced tea and food.

Last edited by BigBlue79; October 10th, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old October 10th, 2012, 09:58 PM

Liked 31 Times in 28 Posts

This procedure on a long bed single cab truck is basically the same, but there is no carrier bearing. There is a U joint on the front and a U joint on the back, that's it. If you have a vice, it'll help this project go a lot smoother, too. Great job!

89 F-150 5.0l AOD 2x4, 3.55 LS(+4), Converted to HO Roller, 3g Alt, GT40Ps, Y-pipe, Rerouted PCV, Dual Taurus E-fans, Explorer Injectors, Remote ICM, DIY Cold air, Rubber Vacuum System, Tranny cooler, Remote Tranny filter, Saginaw P\S swap, F350 Brakes, more.

Old October 10th, 2012, 10:11 PM

That's why I said the redneck way, should've said the poe boy way

Thanks.
Old October 10th, 2012, 11:51 PM

Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts

I'll be darned if mine doesn't have a single sign of that teflon stuff.. Oh well.
I also like to do drive shaft u joints on the shop floor with a block of wood. Do axle joints in a vice.

1990 F150XLTLariat. 300I6. ZF. BDS. 36x16.5x15FC. SAS under construction.

How to: FTC Gallery.

How to: Brick steering column.
How to: Wiper motor removal.
Shop Class 101.
Door Tag Codes.
Old October 11th, 2012, 10:29 AM

Russo, IIRC the teflon coating on the driveshaft slip joint splines were only on Automatics, the driveshaft from my 79 didn't have the teflon coating and it was a two piece with manual. The 85 I parted out had the AOD and it had Teflon, Bronco has Teflon and it's got a C6.
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:11 AM

Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts

Well that makes sense.

1990 F150XLTLariat. 300I6. ZF. BDS. 36x16.5x15FC. SAS under construction.

How to: FTC Gallery.

How to: Brick steering column.
How to: Wiper motor removal.
Shop Class 101.
Door Tag Codes.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 6
BigBlue79 , bikertrash3531 , Booba5185 , gizmo06360 , JSoko , Russo2