Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > GARAGE TALK > Garage Talk: Shop Class 101

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old August 9th, 2013, 08:01 AM

Liked 187 Times in 169 Posts
Exclamation How to Clean a Battery

Battery corrosion, which is formed by acid condensation can kill a battery. Since this is formed by acid, a basic chemical solution will do the cleaning trick. Battery acid is actually very easy to clean away with a common household item- baking soda! But still, precautions must be followed. This article will inform you step by step how to clean the battery while keeping safe.

First, you will need to gather supplies for this project. Most of these items you may already have in your home.

Safety glasses or goggles; you don't want to end up with that Pirate look / eye patch

Box of baking soda

Adjustable pliers with insulated handles

Screwdrivers with insulated handles

A small, stiff-bristled brush

Assorted small open-end and box wrenches

Small metal or plastic scraper

Special battery tools, including a cable puller and cable

terminal cleaning brushes

A turkey baster or small funnel

All-purpose household cleaner in a spray bottle

Sponges or clean cloths

A source of ample clean water such as a garden hose or a large

bucket and sponge

Rubber gloves for protecting your hands

There are a few safety tips to keep in mind when getting ready to clean the battery. First of all, you safety glasses and gloves must be worn to protect your eyes and skin from sulfuric acid that can linger in the corrosion deposits. Also, this material can eat away at your car’s paint, so keep it away from that as well.

Because the amount of dirt and corrosion on batteries may differ from one another, battery cleaning will vary, so some of the steps below may or may not need to be performed. Sometimes, to thoroughly remove severe corrosion and dirt, you may even need to remove the battery from the vehicle.

First, scrape off any white or greenish corrosion deposits with the stiff-bristled brush or small metal or plastic scraper. Next, use the solution of baking soda mixed with water, approximately one heaping tablespoon to each pint of water. Carefully apply it to the outside of the battery and its cable connections with the turkey baster or small funnel. Then, you can use your brush to work the baking soda solution into the heavily corroded areas. If you find that the cable clamps or terminals are badly corroded at the battery, you can disconnect them for easier cleaning. For this, you may need to use pliers, assorted wrenches and a small battery cable puller to disconnect them. You should disconnect the negative first, followed by the positive.

Then, use your battery cable scrapers or brush to remove the corrosion from the terminals, battery posts and hold down clamps and brackets. Flush these parts with your baking soda solution to rid them of any trace of corrosion. After this, wash the outside of the battery, the cable ends and the hold down parts with a liquid cleaner in a spray bottle. After that, use a sponge or rag to get off any remaining dirt or grease. After everything is clean, dry off the battery and all its parts with a dry rag or cloth.

The final step is just reinstalling any part that was removed and tightening everything so it is secure. Reconnect the battery, positive cable first. You’re done! You’re battery is now safe and clean.

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old August 9th, 2013, 08:30 AM

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

A good safety tip J is don't smoke around the battery. They can blow up. I had a battery blow up one time and thank God the hood was down and it blew when I turned the key on to start. Sounded like a 12 ga going off. Rushed to wash everything down and didn't have no damage. Battery care is very important. I can't remember which water to use in them. Distilled or demineralized? Even though your battery is suppose to be non serviceable, it is good to pop off caps and check level every now and then. A friend of mine suggested for my lawn mower battery, I had to buy a new one, to take it off this winter and put a trickle charge on it about once a month. Well that's my two cents. Ya'll have a safe battery day.

1993 F150 XLT, 5.8 with E40D, Tow and Handling Package. Fully loaded from factory as truck was special order. Mods: Extang Snap on bed cover. 2" drop in rear, Six Liter Tuneup, NOS 66-72 Ford Air Foil Antenna, Planet Auto Red Ford Oval (grille). Diamond Clear Headlight Package, Bumper Guards, F350 Brake Conversion, Slotted/Drilled Front Rotors, 3 row alum radiator with Mk VIII elec fan. and much more to come!
Old August 9th, 2013, 09:47 AM

Liked 187 Times in 169 Posts

Yes Frankster, a good point

use distilled water, in your battery & cooling system

the hydrogen sulfide gas given off by a battery is explosive
NO SMOKING OR OPEN FLAMES

the 'Battery Tender JR'
http://batterytender.com/battery-ten...-at-0-75a.html

has a brain and will not overcharge, you can leave it on all winter

stay away from the on that Harbor Freight sells for $10, 'Float Charger'
it can over charge, even though it says it wont
Stay away from that piece of junk from
Harbor Frieght !
It is not a true float/maintainer charger
but a glorified trickle charger. I cracked
one open and the circuitry only consists
of a couple of transistors and a diode or two.
Do yourself a favor and spend the extra $$
and get a real float charger.

read this http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/s...=float+charger

after learning more about them on the Harley Forum; I got the Tender JR

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Last edited by JSoko; August 9th, 2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old August 9th, 2013, 02:02 PM

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

I wouldn't buy anything from Harbor anyway. I hadn't had a catalog in years. That is not to say I guess some of their things is pretty good. I have had no experience or heard comments about them until your post. I had an ex who always said, I had rich mans taste and a poor mans pocket book. I have always believed in buying the best.

1993 F150 XLT, 5.8 with E40D, Tow and Handling Package. Fully loaded from factory as truck was special order. Mods: Extang Snap on bed cover. 2" drop in rear, Six Liter Tuneup, NOS 66-72 Ford Air Foil Antenna, Planet Auto Red Ford Oval (grille). Diamond Clear Headlight Package, Bumper Guards, F350 Brake Conversion, Slotted/Drilled Front Rotors, 3 row alum radiator with Mk VIII elec fan. and much more to come!