Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > FORD BRONCO | BRONCO II > 1987-1991 Ford Bronco

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old November 14th, 2014, 06:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default I GIVE UP!

Does anyone know how to bypass the computer in a 1987 Bronco? I want to completely disable it, junk the EFI and go to a carb with simple ignition!

For the past few months this POS has been driving me crazy, there is something electrical wrong and it does not want to be traced down. It started with a melted plug wire, resulting in a very rough running engine. Thaty was replaced, worked fine for a week and it started bucking, no matter what speed, like you were constantly and roughly pushing and letting up on the gas.

So plugs, wires, distributor, coil, injectors, the regulator valve on the throttle body (not the EGR the other one, cant remember its name), fuel pressure regulator all replaced. It runs better, but STILL bucks. Now it is mainly when holding a steady speed, does not do it on acceleration, but does do it on deceleration. Also when idling it constantly runs down to almost stall then throttles up high in an endless cycle. When coming off idle, it wants to stall for a second when first given fuel, then takes off.

This is NOT a stock Bronco motor, it was replaced 12 years ago with a 5.0L High Output mustang crate motor. Ran perfectly until recently.

I refuse to spend the rest of my life chasing electrical gremlins, so if you know what is wrong with it, I would like to know so that I can get it running right UNTIL I get all the parts to go to a carb.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide
Old November 15th, 2014, 04:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK, so I went through EVERYTHING again with a fine tooth comb and I found, on the passenger side, where the exhaust pipe attaches to the manifold, that the bolts were about 3/4 of a turn from completely tight. (they loosen up all the time, I do not know why), not enough to hear a leak, but apparently enough to mess with the O2 sensor. Tightened the bolts, and it is back to running the way it is supposed to. I HATE EFI!
Old November 15th, 2014, 08:54 PM

Liked 112 Times in 108 Posts

I hate carburetors with O2 sensors worse!

2003 F-150 XL RCSB 2wd 4.2 5 speed 3.55 LS
Old November 18th, 2014, 01:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That is why I want to completely disable the computer, same as I did in my Jeep, no more O2 sensors! Just a carb and simple ignition. No more problems.