Search

How-To's

Unanswered

FTC Toolbar

Social Sites

Register

Ford Truck Club Forum > GARAGE TALK > Garage Talk: Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to FordTruckClub.net
Welcome to FordTruckClub.net, the internet's premier Ford truck community! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions and access other forum features. By joining our free online community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Forgot your password? click here.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Old March 24th, 2011, 12:48 AM

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Gotta say it .. Russo2 has the clear clean comment. Can't get much more simpler than that. What his words means to me is "What is important to you is what really matters".

This thread is short in length - only two pages so far. I hope there is more to come. So far we gained a lot of important information and if you read it through again, possibly a second or third time, you realize the words take you on a journey from an question - to ideas - to thoughts - than into some technical research that ultimately increases your knowledge and awareness hopefully providing an answer to the original question.

The results can not be hindered or dismissed - it makes you see relativity via different and opposing views of importance through technical advancements.

This is what makes this site and it's brothers in arm so unique. It shares with all while ultimately leaving you a little wiser so you get to choose what is imortant to you.

If the shortest path is always a straight line, then I ask each of us, Did you want to miss something or just get there? Sometimes there is no need to go around the mountain to get to the top when all you wanted was view from the above. Then again, going around the mountain just for the journey means you always see more than expected.

What we leave behind are our words and our deeds. Nothing else really matters.

Last edited by HawaiianF150; March 24th, 2011 at 12:58 AM.
Old March 24th, 2011, 01:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo2 View Post
I'm not sure why people need to go to these projector lenses.
Just simply putting in good halogen bulbs made the headlights bright enough to see a considerable distance, and by considerable I mean freakin far.
And all of my driving is on country roads and through woods and stuff where there is no other light.
The only thing I see coming out of projector lights is pissed off people that are coming the other way.
Also those stupid blue and purple lenses just look tacky. IMHO a bright, clear, white light is the best.
To each his own, but like myself, a lot of people have an adversion to halogen light. I simply cannot see at night because of dimly lit halogen bulbs. And before you start quoting brands, Silverstars, PIAA, etc, I have tried them all and they are exactly the same to me.

I'm not gonna state it again after this, as you obviously are not getting it. PROJECTORS ARE REQUIRED FOR PROPER HID LIGHTING. That's it, end of story.

An HID setup is 4300k-5000k color temp, which is oem to pure white. Blue or purple is the color flicker the lens puts out as you approach the vehicle from different angles.

I don't understand your statement, "The only thing I see coming out of projector lights is pissed off people that are coming the other way." This is just a dumb statement, as these are the morons who give HID lighting a bad name. They are the ones who paid $30 on ebay for a pnp kit and people think that is HID lighting.
Old March 24th, 2011, 01:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hawaii, you can pretty much fit any of those items into any housing, if you got the time, patience, skill and/or money.

Matt is the guy who owns the site and developed the Morimoto brand. I have done quite a few retrofits and actually finished one last night for an 04 f150. Simply giving him a call or shooting him an email will result in a plethora of information. He will give you all the options for your particular setup, tell you which works best, what previous customers have done and list everything you will need for your particular build. If you have some parts already, he will put together a kit for you.

I do recommend contacting him if you want to do this, he gives discounts for packages, throws in shipping and he's always there to answer questions or concerns. He's a one man show, but his turn around is within days.

There is another site out there, www.sickhids.com. Guys name is Brian, and does amazing work. He starts at $400, but I haven't talked to anyone who spent less than $700. His turn around is now 8-12 weeks as he is also a one man show. I'm not a fan of halos, he is, but he creates complete custom work for all of his customers.

I wsa going that route the first time, but decided to try my hand first. it came out perfect, and I saved myself $500.
Old March 24th, 2011, 06:45 PM

Liked 187 Times in 169 Posts

Question
what kind of lights do you call these
stock '06 F150

they light up real good

For Those Who Fought For It...
Freedom Has A Taste The Protected Will Never Know.

Old March 24th, 2011, 06:54 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

J... I would like to be the first... jerk... to say, um....

OEM?

Other than that, I have no idea.

Double(. Y .)Dee
SSG, TXARNG
OIF III ('05) & OIF VIII ('10)
Least knowledgeable when it comes to the whirly, spinny things.

How To Use The FTC Gallery
Check out the Truck of the Month forum and vote!
2004-2008 F-150 Specific How To's:
VIN Decoder
Gotts Mod - 4.6L (5.4L similar)
Big 3 Upgrade
Seat Removal
Interior Door Disassembly SCrew (RCab/SCab similar)
Interior Trim/Carpet Removal

"Fighting is not handing out cookies, it's gunfire and rockets, and there will be casualties." - Haji Khalifa Mohammad Shah
Old March 24th, 2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDee View Post
J... I would like to be the first... jerk... to say, um....

OEM?

Other than that, I have no idea.
I did'nt mean it like that

it is a sincere question
I dont recall see'n that kind before
the bulb dont shine out the front but has a cone thing over the front

I looked at a pic of yours but cant tell if they'er the same

Old March 24th, 2011, 07:16 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Yeah... that's why I would have come off sounding like a... jerk.

But yes, that is the OEM style:

Even the bulbs have a coating on the tip themselves to prevent light emitting from the front.

Side note, is that a record for me? 31 minutes to take and post a pic?

Double(. Y .)Dee
SSG, TXARNG

VIN Decoder
Big 3 Upgrade
Seat Removal

"Fighting is not handing out cookies, it's gunfire and rockets, and there will be casualties." - Haji Khalifa Mohammad Shah
Old March 24th, 2011, 07:25 PM

yep, that was fast

thats real close to mine

so is that style called 'projection' ?

Old March 24th, 2011, 07:29 PM

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

no... i think the projections are like... A sealed/enclosed bulb, that has a lens on the front.... maybe like a LED? but have a coating on the majority of the bulb except the "lens"/front... you can't see the bulb when looking at the projection light... Somebody get a picture!!!!... oh wait....

Double(. Y .)Dee
SSG, TXARNG

VIN Decoder
Big 3 Upgrade
Seat Removal

Old March 24th, 2011, 11:48 PM

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

TooFast - Thanks for sharing the contacts for the lights. Solid. Thats what this is all about.

Joey/DD - I don't know for sure what that is the "type" of headlamps those are but if I was a betting man I'd say Halogen. That is a headlight assembly that has incorporated a cap over the tip of the bulb. Gotta love how the use of light refraction plays a major role in safe lighting without drawing so much current. Gotta love technology...

Before i start rambling .. i think it was Gallagher that said ..

"What man lacks in social communication skills, he more than makes up in belly curdling burps and nose hair burning chili induced ass gas"

Check this picture out at LMC trucks.http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fe/full.aspx?Page=56
It is not of a 2006 but it sheds light on the subject.. sorry, i'ma pun master... Also in Part 2 of the videos below you can see how the cap is installed/removed.

My 2009 F150 has a slightly larger cap over the bulbs http://o.aolcdn.com/commerce/images/...ight_Large.jpg but it serves the same purpose of refracting the bulbs illumination backwards onto the reflector increasing the brightness.

Found this video series on youtube - How to make a HID retro-kit yourself and man alive .. mind you this is informational. This takes some serious dedication and lots of creativity.. you have to be an artist at heart and you will admire the skillz... If you ever wondered why it costs so much for a HID retro kit, your questions will be answered.

Part 1 of 4

in Part 2 you will see the "cap removed" from a Halogen lamp assembly.

Part 2 of 4

Part 3 of 4

Part 4 of 4

Types of "Halogen" "projector" headlamp kits
http://www.americantrucks.com/ford-t...eadlights.html

Replacing head lamps on a 2004-2008 Ford F150
http://www.bodyshopzone.com/archives...dlight_06.html

Video of a Stealth HID kit for a F150 from http://www.sickhids.com/apps/videos/ this is just cool.. thx toofast for the POC.
http://www.sickhids.com/apps/videos/...th-f-150-build

Vehicle Halogen Lamps
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&b...&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Projector lamps
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&b...&aqi=&aql=&oq=

I also think something is misunderstood here. I think I understand what TooFast is trying to say; that through painful experience of dollars spent and time lost learning all of this, he has determined that in his opinion, HID Projector kits just outshines even the brightest Halogen (type) Projector kits. Maybe I am a Pun Master.... What i think TooFast is also saying, is that people continue to mistake the real value of true HID lamps and the properly required HID kits. Regular plug in type lamp bulbs imitate but they in no way are the real deal. Plastic people and product imitations abound out there in the market place. There is always some unique individuals willing to sell you anything for any amount based on your need and they have no objections in lying through their green teeth and they do so by knowing the fact that some do not wish to take the time or expend any energy to do a little research to find the truth and to do it right.

I think what Russo2 is trying to say is that some people should think of others when they step out to "bling their rides". (if i am wrong in textual quoting and typing - please forgive as i am trying to paraphrase a dislike for dumbass selfish people that have drivers licenses, bills to pay and possibly the brain cells of a slug) It seems that Russo2, myself and perhaps many others, think it takes too much time and and hard work and lack the desire to create our own HID kits and that it is possible and perhaps almost just as cool to have brighter lights without selling your soul or shelling out literally hundreds of greenbacks. Toofast did it himself and he shared the pain and knowledge of his learning the hard way. I don't want to be "blinded by the light"... so many puns - so little time to use them all.

During this thread, I personally have learned a lot. I learned that there is a HUGE difference between wannabe and real deals when it comes to vehicle lighting. Since most of you know I am an old fart with varied skillsets. I will stay away from over-tech'g thus elininating the yawn effect and devoiding all of us of the deep desire to fast mouse click into websurfing heaven. To spout an example of my varied memory banks - while typing this, I accidently knocked over my bottle of cold water and it managed to find its way right into my keyboard. A little shaking, a towel and some canned air later, my Logittech G15 Gamer KB is still rockin n rollin with this banter no worse for the wear.

I dropped by a buddy of mine that I have known for over thirty years. He owns an small but lucrative vehicle repair shop that does business by word of mouth reputation only rather than advertising and those who get the chance to know him know he is highly respected. He showed me first hand (literally) the difference between a true HID light and (as toofast calls it) a PNP xenon halogen lamp within a "projector" type housing. The damn halogen was hot enough to spank wisdom into my thick assed cranial cavity cover. I think that a properly designed and correctly installed HID kit assembly has to be an art of patience. You may agree after you watched all four videos above.

What we leave behind are our words and our deeds. Nothing else really matters.

Last edited by HawaiianF150; March 25th, 2011 at 02:35 AM.